Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

says Footwork footwork footwork
I do it too, TPB backside and a little LP 0x playing a short ball in order to get my forehand.

Recently i found a modification to improve my RPB with LP 0x. I move my index to RPB side, in order to get my 4 fingers on the rpb side. My 4 fingers hold by gripping the long pimples.

So my strokes are really better, block, attack are more flexible.

I have now to repeat a lot this fingers moving and automate it.

Hello All,

My first post here!
I started playing at work and my friend trained me SH, but shortly after felt that Penhold was more comfortable and natural for me.
RBP came natural to me because I thought that’s how it was supposed to be done learning SH.

I too, started with 4 fingers on the back side as it allowed for a down the line back hands more naturally for me but I soon found out after sweating hands that the paddle could go flying after some intense rounds...
Since then I’ve corrected my grip and with practice it’s starting to feel a bit more natural (RPB).

Cheers,
E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Welcome to the penholder forum!!
Hello All,

My first post here!
I started playing at work and my friend trained me SH, but shortly after felt that Penhold was more comfortable and natural for me.
RBP came natural to me because I thought that’s how it was supposed to be done learning SH.

I too, started with 4 fingers on the back side as it allowed for a down the line back hands more naturally for me but I soon found out after sweating hands that the paddle could go flying after some intense rounds...
Since then I’ve corrected my grip and with practice it’s starting to feel a bit more natural (RPB).

Cheers,
E

Passionate about TT

Welcome to the penholder forum!!

Passionate about TT

Thank you!
Just received my new Yasaka Blade (sweden extra) and I’m ready to develop my strokes properly now :)

Excited to play later.
Happy smashing fellow Penholders!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Thank you!
Just received my new Yasaka Blade (sweden extra) and I’m ready to develop my strokes properly now :)

Excited to play later.
Happy smashing fellow Penholders!

Keep practicing. It's a wonderful blade with lots of feel. What rubbers do you use?

Passionate about TT

Keep practicing. It's a wonderful blade with lots of feel. What rubbers do you use?

Passionate about TT

Hi Lib,

I paired it with Andro Backside 20D 1.9 on both sides.
Any experience or info about this rubber?

I honestly picked from stats aiming for control and lower speed...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi Lib,

I paired it with Andro Backside 20D 1.9 on both sides.
Any experience or info about this rubber?

I honestly picked from stats aiming for control and lower speed...

Sorry no idea. Have never heard of them. But regardless of the rubbers, you will gain skill with practice!!

Passionate about TT

Sorry no idea. Have never heard of them. But regardless of the rubbers, you will gain skill with practice!!

Passionate about TT

Yep! That’s the plan :)
I just sanded my wings a bit. Those edges were really digging into my index finger.
Feels like a dream now!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I play shake hands style most of the time. I will take out my c-pen paddle maybe once a month. However, I have been told that if I claimed to be a c-pen player people would believe me.
https://bit.ly/2AWR2Q3
The video may stall if you have a slow connection. The video is recorded at 1080P at 60FPS on a GoPro3 Black.
I don't care. I will play shake hands, c-pen, LP, SP, anti or inverted. It is all fun.

Hello guys...I just started playing again after graduating college... not much time to play since I'm still studying for board exam..
Do you have tips on what to focus on if you started playing again after some time?
here is a video of how I play ... I know I have a lot to improve on XD
thanks (I'm the guy with xiom playing attire.. out of shape XD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUVjh0dgtPQ

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Sorry for a late reply. I think you will see a loads of improvement of you keep your body lower than what it is now. That includes bending your knees and upper body forward+downward.
Hello guys...I just started playing again after graduating college... not much time to play since I'm still studying for board exam..
Do you have tips on what to focus on if you started playing again after some time?

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Your strokes start out at the same level where you hit the ball. It is hard to put top spin on the ball that way. Start your paddle below where you plan to hit the ball so the paddle is moving up behind the ball to make a loop.

Avoid pushing if you can top spin the ball back. Use your wrist to top spin balls over the table.

Getting low reduces parallax error. It is easier to judge what the incoming ball is doing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello PHers! Long time no see!!!

Been busy with real life. Have been playing intermittently. No videos. Feel I'm am almost getting the hang of RPB. 2 schools of thought: 1. RPB spin everything 2. RPB block, punch, BH, spin. i chose to learn from the ground up and went with 2nd approach. I used to TPB block/punch decently enough to be a tool in my game, so i decided to learn/train the RPB block/punch/BH/spin. For whatever reason I'm most comfortable with the RPB BH, decent enough that a friend from my club and ttmonster here believes I should convert to SH

I used an extended fingers grip which was best for my FH but on my RPB, the angle of the racket was good for block or punch or BH, but I kept misjudging the incoming ball and it hit my fingers. Feel a little comfortable with my FH and RPB block/punch/BH finally and have decided to change my grip closer to my TPB grip of curled fingers. Still playing around with my placement of my fingers. What was once an unknown on how my hand/wrist would feel with 2 inverted rubbers and fearing carpal tunnel syndrome has past. Hand/wrist is strong enough. Now gotta keep at RPB to get consistent with the 3 basic strokes and soon start spinning. Clueless how months ago I had a nice session with RPB spinning with forum member David Song. Need to get back at it.

Overall I still rush my shots, have inconsistent timing, but the past year or so I've worked on it and kind of improved. Yeah, yeah, no video, so no proof, so i'm just BSing lol will see if i can get video. I don't have perfect timing nor strokes but feel I'm a tad better than i was last year.

Hope PHers are healthy and happy!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello guys...I just started playing again after graduating college

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR GRADUATION! GOOD LUCK IN YOUR FUTURE ENDEAVORS!

Avoid pushing if you can top spin the ball back. Use your wrist to top spin balls over the table.

I'm not that good of a player, but I totally agree with brokenball on this. There were many serves or balls hit long to your FH and you FH pushed back. The balls were long enough where you should be able to loop them back. I'm not a great looper, still working on being consistent, but listen to brokenball and try his tips out.

0:39-0:43 an example of your FH push when it looks long enough to loop ... your FH push went high ... was it a topspin/sidetop serve or a nospin serve you though was down/sidedown? When balls are high like that, most players would attack. Lucky your partner netted the high return.

3:07-3:13 Good RPB loop/drives!

4:42-4:48 - you Wang Hao'd the 2nd ball! very cool! seems your RPB is stronger than your FH?

I didn't get a chance to watch your whole video yet, only about half. seems either: you need to work on your FH push if your FH loop is not that good or you need to learn to read partner's serves. Perhaps you are thinking it downspin/sidedown but it's top/sidetop or nospin instead. Or work on both actually.

I generally work on reestablishing timing for any shot. Will find after a break i need to reacquire my timing and the feel of the rubbers and their bounce/spin.

Then I work on stroking for my FH. As a PH, my strongest attack is my FH. Next I work on serves and visualizing/understanding what I'm serving and what I intend to do on 3rd ball and where generally it comes back to me. This is just me. Others may suggest working on BH before working serves.

I hope others will chime in.

Truly hope this helps!

~OSPH

p.s. will watch your vid in full tomorrow. 1:30am ... need sleep

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello PHers! Long time no see!!!

Been busy with real life. Have been playing intermittently. No videos. Feel I'm am almost getting the hang of RPB. 2 schools of thought: 1. RPB spin everything 2. RPB block, punch, BH, spin. i chose to learn from the ground up and went with 2nd approach. I used to TPB block/punch decently enough to be a tool in my game, so i decided to learn/train the RPB block/punch/BH/spin. For whatever reason I'm most comfortable with the RPB BH, decent enough that a friend from my club and ttmonster here believes I should convert to SH

Oh snap he's alive! :p Glad to see you back OSP

As someone who started out SH and use to have a good BH, I've contemplated switching back to SH from penhold from time to time wondering if that'd take my game further. But whenever I try it, inevitability with like a week i'm sad about it. You got to do & be what you love... That and the fact that a SH forehand feels so darn weird to me makes that decision easy. ;) Anyways, I hope you stay penhold as there's enough SH-ers out there but ultimately do what makes you happiest most I'd say.

I'm in a pretty healthy spot right now with my game. Been playing dual inverted for a couple of months now and not missing the Long Pip game. Thankfully you can still find a little weird or trickiness in playing dual inverted with some unique penhold shots just enough to confuse someone. But more than anything, whenever I have a slightly higher ball on the BH, it sure is nice having that RPB.

I've come around to start to finally embrace that it's okay if I play like Ma Lin and not Wang Hao or Xu Xin I guess more specifically given I'm left handed. What I mean by that is that it's okay if I still use TPB 80% of the time on my BHs primarily for pushing and directional blocking. It's what comes natural to me given that was how I was taught growing up. I find when I take this approach and just use the RPB when I have time & opportunity, things work out. I now tell myself that in the moment, whatever I choose for that shot, either it be TPB or RPB, it's okay and that's the right decision.

So really i'm just trying to get good at both. RPB for attacking, TPB for blocking or chop blocking/ Xu Xin like FH side strawberry flicking, etc. They both have their usefulness.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Oh snap he's alive! :p Glad to see you back OSP

The rumors of my death were greatly exaggerated LOL Thank you suds! Glad to be back.

As someone who started out SH and use to have a good BH, I've contemplated switching back to SH from penhold from time to time wondering if that'd take my game further. But whenever I try it, inevitability with like a week i'm sad about it. You got to do & be what you love... That and the fact that a SH forehand feels so darn weird to me makes that decision easy. ;) Anyways, I hope you stay penhold as there's enough SH-ers out there but ultimately do what makes you happiest most I'd say.

Funny thing ... last friday met up with Der Echte, Carl and PingPongHolic. Catching up with PPH who switched clubs I mentioned that 2 friends think I should switch to SH as my BH is decent. He said, others said the same to him about switching. He said words to the effect of "stick to what you like and have fun with"

PH is an 'anchor' for me in NLP terms. It reminds me of my youth and when I play TT and play PH, I am in a happy zone as I think I'm a teenager again. LOL at me!

I'm in a pretty healthy spot right now with my game. Been playing dual inverted for a couple of months now and not missing the Long Pip game. Thankfully you can still find a little weird or trickiness in playing dual inverted with some unique penhold shots just enough to confuse someone. But more than anything, whenever I have a slightly higher ball on the BH, it sure is nice having that RPB.
at i
With my RPB, sometimes I've been doing the Strawberry (iirc what that name is)

I've come around to start to finally embrace that it's okay if I play like Ma Lin and not Wang Hao or Xu Xin I guess more specifically given I'm left handed. What I mean by that is that it's okay if I still use TPB 80% of the time on my BHs primarily for pushing and directional blocking. It's what comes natural to me given that was how I was taught growing up. I find when I take this approach and just use the RPB when I have time & opportunity, things work out. I now tell myself that in the moment, whatever I choose for that shot, either it be TPB or RPB, it's okay and that's the right decision.

So really i'm just trying to get good at both. RPB for attacking, TPB for blocking or chop blocking/ Xu Xin like FH side strawberry flicking, etc. They both have their usefulness.

Sometime ago i made the conscious decision and effort in giving up on TPB and using RPB exclusively, so that I can force myself to learn RPB. But in the back of my mind, I've always thought of Ma Lin's mix of TPB and RPB to be my eventual goal. If I get comfortable enough with RPB spinning as well as block/punch/BH I will add in the TPB directional blocking and punch. I've lost track, it may be almost a year of dedicated RPB training, so my TPB will need some brushing up.

Thanks again Suds, great to be back!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I do it too, TPB backside and a little LP 0x playing a short ball in order to get my forehand.

Recently i found a modification to improve my RPB with LP 0x. I move my index to RPB side, in order to get my 4 fingers on the rpb side. My 4 fingers hold by gripping the long pimples.

So my strokes are really better, block, attack are more flexible.

I have now to repeat a lot this fingers moving and automate it.

This is an interesting post. I have a friend who is a coach and I used to go to his club, but haven't in some time, and he would hit with me giving me a few tips. As I was a TPB oldschool PH, he asked me what I wanted to do, I said I wanted to learn RPB. He had me put 4 fingers on the back like you do to get the feel and timing of the RPB. I looked around on YouTube and didn't find anything. Some of my friends say my friend the coach has some different ideas on how to hit. I couldn't get used to it and didn't want to fumble with index finger placement before and after a hit. So i curled my index finger a little.

I hit with one of his students and she is a total beginner and I fed her multiball, just one ball at a time, and she had the 4 fingers on the back. That grip helped her. Not sure how she is playing now, but her bf is a 2000+ modern PH so I'm sure he can teach her too.

Lately I playing around with my grip and haven't settle on one just yet. I've even tried resting the index finger along the edge of the racket!

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I'm older and slower so I play close to the table. However, I've found that sometimes I get 'jammed' when my partner is hitting the ball faster and harder. I need to take 1 to 3 steps back to have some time to return the ball. I don't know if that is still close to the table or the start of mid-distance away from table.

With the 1 to 3 steps back I've found I am able to return the balls better than if i was close to the table on the forceful shots.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
The rumors of my death were greatly exaggerated LOL Thank you suds! Glad to be back.

Funny thing ... last friday met up with Der Echte, Carl and PingPongHolic. Catching up with PPH who switched clubs I mentioned that 2 friends think I should switch to SH as my BH is decent. He said, others said the same to him about switching. He said words to the effect of "stick to what you like and have fun with"

PH is an 'anchor' for me in NLP terms. It reminds me of my youth and when I play TT and play PH, I am in a happy zone as I think I'm a teenager again. LOL at me!

at i
With my RPB, sometimes I've been doing the Strawberry (iirc what that name is)

Sometime ago i made the conscious decision and effort in giving up on TPB and using RPB exclusively, so that I can force myself to learn RPB. But in the back of my mind, I've always thought of Ma Lin's mix of TPB and RPB to be my eventual goal. If I get comfortable enough with RPB spinning as well as block/punch/BH I will add in the TPB directional blocking and punch. I've lost track, it may be almost a year of dedicated RPB training, so my TPB will need some brushing up.

Thanks again Suds, great to be back!

I am like you. I switched from SH to PH because I watched RSM's game in 2004 Olympic. His give-it-all risky FH shots remind me a lot of how I used to play when I was 10. So I picked PH, a symbol of challenge, risk and energy.

I have been using RPB exclusively for 4 years. But I still subconsciously step aside and launch FH power loop. My RPB usage stays low after years of practice.

I occasionally use my Darker Speed 90 with only one rubber on the FH side. It's faster and has better feel than ZJK ALC with the same rubber. I still love my Darker Jpen the most. I enjoy that limit on BH which pushes me to do significantly more FH power loop. My game is more exciting and runs at a faster pace with my Jpen than with Cpen.

To me Cpen with RPB provides stability and wider coverage. Jpen truly highlights the prime level of penhold - risky passionate give-it-all attack.