Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello:

Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD? I know of a few already (JeffM, Liten, suds79) , not sure if site has a create thread/poll option... didn't think i see it.

Are you a modern penholder? Are you a JPen player? Is there a RPB for JPen?

Or are you like me an oldschool one-sided CPen penholder?

Me: I am currently using MX-P on my FH, will add a LP Ox to my BH soon, more for weight and protect the racket than actually using the LP in play. My whole game is one-sided oldschool PH (FH smashes, sucky FH loops, FH blocks, BH blocks, no BH smashes and use a BH punch (aka 'push-block'). At some point, may try to use the LP and/or add short pips - but my concern is that the added short pips is too heavy for my liking.

Also, seems like PH is dying out on the world-class level. Recent Ask the Pro video, Wong Chun Ting said PH is dying out. SO wanted to check out on the non-world-class level how many PH are on here :)

Thank you in advance.

Next :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Ok.. some seriosness before nite-night..

I play somewhat modern penhold. I play RPB and use the traditional backhand only to recover shots thats too fast for me towards my bh or my body.

I play with 2 regular blades (straight handle) and find these to balance my somewhat heavy setup a bit. I dont mind playing with any regular blade, most handle-types work just fine.

Current setup is rakza 7 max on both fh and bh. On my blades this has proven to be a real fast setup. When playing a straight, fast game this was realky good. Nowadays when I tend to use a lot more spin on most shots its actually to fast, and maby even a bit to heavy.

Looking to buy the xiom omega v rubbers in the near future.

Also, as soon as my ass is in debt to the bank again (buyin a new place next week) im going forth with the OSP-order.. seems like the V+ is leading the polls! ;)

(Muckin about with a pg7 with omega 4 pro and LP ox, just for fun. That LP looses me more points than I win from it! ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Liu Guoliang's coach more or less forced him to switch to shakehand in the 80's because the penholder days were over. After he switched to shakehand, he started losing a lot more and not much later he went back to penhold style again. Now we all know that his coach couldn't be more wrong :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Is there a RPB for JPen?

Qiu Dang uses jpen blade and plays RPB with that huge blade.

In case you haven't heard of him before. He's one of the sons of coach Qiu Jian Xin (www.qiutts.de) and used to play for german cadets National Team.

Here:

Enjoy.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I'm a part time Table Tennis coach at a local TT Club here in Sweden.

A few weeks ago a kid originally from China started to play during one of the practice sessions where I coach. The thing is, he plays penhold with RPB. Since then I have tried to play some penhold and been watching others who play penhold and so on, to help him get better. He really wants to get better and it is quite the challenge. As you can imagine, some of the stuff I talk about can't be directly transferred to PH from SH.

I find it hard to play penhold, but it is very interesting. Penhold is fun! :)
I will definitely play and practice more. I've tried RPB but I it's to hard to be consistent. I usually just push block with my BH.

Mostly my penhold play comes down to serve and attack to this point. But as I improve that will probably change.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Lefty penholder.

I'm 37. Started playing when I was 18. Played for 3-4 years while at college. Then didn't play until i was about 30.

Been playing weekly since 2010.

I'm more of a oldschool penholder with the TPB. I can RPB very comfortably and it's one of my stronger shots but during an actual match, if someone hits fast to my BH i naturally go to TPB. So I cannot seem to naturally convert to RPB. If I was younger or a new player, i'd probably almost solely use the RPB.

That being said, i like styles that are out of the ordinary & different. Must be something in my makeup. So while I've tried, I can't play simple duel inverted. Just not interesting enough for me. I play a twiddling game featuring either inverted and long pips or at times short pips & long pips. I think that's one of the most fun & interesting styles.

I'm more dangerous with inverted & long pips but more consistent with short pips & long pips. I probably play better with the short pips & long pips combination. IDK. Ask me in a few months. :p (it's a problem I know.)

Players I look up to and/or try to emulate parts of their game are...

- Wang Jian Jiang (SP/LP twiddler): amazing crafty game. Good attacking game with the LPs & SPs. No RPB.
- HE Zhi Wen (single sided SP): Pretty sure everybody here already knows who he is and what he's about.
- Wang Qiu Yi (Inverted/LP twiddler): Like her use of RPB with the LP FH play. Convinced I've never seen a better LP attacker. I mean ever. :)

I think there's 3 penholders are our club including me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hello:

Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD? I know of a few already (JeffM, Liten, suds79) , not sure if site has a create thread/poll option... didn't think i see it.

Are you a modern penholder? Are you a JPen player? Is there a RPB for JPen?

Or are you like me an oldschool one-sided CPen penholder?

Me: I am currently using MX-P on my FH, will add a LP Ox to my BH soon, more for weight and protect the racket than actually using the LP in play. My whole game is one-sided oldschool PH (FH smashes, sucky FH loops, FH blocks, BH blocks, no BH smashes and use a BH punch (aka 'push-block'). At some point, may try to use the LP and/or add short pips - but my concern is that the added short pips is too heavy for my liking.

Also, seems like PH is dying out on the world-class level. Recent Ask the Pro video, Wong Chun Ting said PH is dying out. SO wanted to check out on the non-world-class level how many PH are on here :)

Thank you in advance.

Next :)

There are lots of cpen players at some of the clubs I play at (50%), and they almost all tend to use RPB. Only at the higher level club (ICC) are there nearly zero penholders. I think I'm among the rare TPB jpen players. To me, I play interchangeably between shakehand and jpen, and each style has enhanced the growth of the other style. If the jpen blade grip is shaped properly and held properly, TPB can be executed naturally. The problem is that the body must be twisted to the side which requires a split second more time which you often don't have.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Liten,

First and foremost, good luck with the purchase and move into your new place!

I play RPB and use the traditional backhand only to recover shots thats too fast for me towards my bh or my body.

I imagine i may resort to this... ages ago, when wood was allowed, many PH used the wood side to return balls that was too fast for them. When my long pips is on, i don't want to resort to using it in this fashion ... imagine i would use it on serve receive to compensate for my lack of serve receive. But i don't want to resort to this crutch, the real issue is not to use a stopgap technique when i really should learn to serve receive properly.

That LP looses me more points than I win from it! ;)

If i use the LP, i envision the same for me, losing more than i win with it lol

Thank you Liten!

Reactions: Liten and Suga D