Back to Forum
Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1247
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 889 1,377
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,377 889
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_

Hello, personally I am trying to imitate Wang Hao's grip, it accommodates me since it has the same grip for both FH and RPB (the 3 fingers somewhat curved on the back of the racket and the thumb and forefinger separated)

Do you adjust your 3 fingers when you do FH looping?

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 6
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 6 0

User Info Menu

Nov 2021
    Chile
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SFF_lib

Do you adjust your 3 fingers when you do FH looping?

I try to keep the same grip for FH so as not to think about that. But I think it is a natural shape, when doing the FH the 3 fingers on the back tend to be straighter to give it more stability and power to the right.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 0 1
    M
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 0

User Info Menu

Jan 2021
    Philippines
    Read 0 Reviews
    Former JPen player > 30 years ago and then stopped tt for 20+ years.
    Picked up the sport 2 years ago when there was a tt venue in the Makati City, PH.
    Dusted my >30 years old Nittaku 1-ply Hinoki JPen (with Senkoh-like handle) and replaced the dried up Shriver rubber with new T25. No RPB.
    Then, the EJ-ing started with TSP High Large II SR with Super Spinpips. Both blade and rubber were mistakes; they were not for me.
    Replaced rubber with R50. Much better but still didn't like the balsa blade.
    After some practice with coach, decided to convert to shakehand and sold the Nittaku (which I regretted).
    EJ-ing got worse with shakehand (e.g. Darker, Kokutaku, Loki, Nittaku, Stiga, Tibhar, ...) and rubbers (e.g. D09c/80, H3N, H3PBS, H8-80, KG10, M2, O7CG, R48/53, VTDE, ...) . After wasting a lot of $, decided that I prefer all wood blades (for feel) and had to use Tensor softer rubbers (due to injuries), even though I prefer hard Chinese rubbers without boosting. Hence, 'looking' at all wood blades now and considering those available at TT11. (e.g. Nittaku Kasumi/Latika/Violin, R+B Ruby, ... <6mm. Temporarily ruling out the likes of Infinity, TSPW, ...)
    But I did buy a JPen because I miss the 1-ply Hinoki feel (which I couldn't find in 1-ply shakehand) and will return to it when I 'master' shakehand. Hence, I have a Hibi-O Tour with O7CY and a beautiful G-Max waiting at the store for me (because it has 'perfect' straight and compact grains).

This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 69
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 69 28
    Quote Originally Posted by Megaworld
    Former JPen player > 30 years ago and then stopped tt for 20+ years.
    Picked up the sport 2 years ago when there was a tt venue in the Makati City, PH.
    Dusted my >30 years old Nittaku 1-ply Hinoki JPen (with Senkoh-like handle) and replaced the dried up Shriver rubber with new T25. No RPB.
    Then, the EJ-ing started with TSP High Large II SR with Super Spinpips. Both blade and rubber were mistakes; they were not for me.
    Replaced rubber with R50. Much better but still didn't like the balsa blade.
    After some practice with coach, decided to convert to shakehand and sold the Nittaku (which I regretted).
    EJ-ing got worse with shakehand (e.g. Darker, Kokutaku, Loki, Nittaku, Stiga, Tibhar, ...) and rubbers (e.g. D09c/80, H3N, H3PBS, H8-80, KG10, M2, O7CG, R48/53, VTDE, ...) . After wasting a lot of $, decided that I prefer all wood blades (for feel) and had to use Tensor softer rubbers (due to injuries), even though I prefer hard Chinese rubbers without boosting. Hence, 'looking' at all wood blades now and considering those available at TT11. (e.g. Nittaku Kasumi/Latika/Violin, R+B Ruby, ... <6mm. Temporarily ruling out the likes of Infinity, TSPW, ...)
    But I did buy a JPen because I miss the 1-ply Hinoki feel (which I couldn't find in 1-ply shakehand) and will return to it when I 'master' shakehand. Hence, I have a Hibi-O Tour with O7CY and a beautiful G-Max waiting at the store for me (because it has 'perfect' straight and compact grains).

always nice to see a jpen player 🙂

out of curiosity though, why not switch to cpen instead of shakehand? just a question for fun

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 110 256
    D
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 256 110

User Info Menu

Jul 2017
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    I got myself a cheap cpen blade because I like to try it out.

Forehand and serve work well already but backhand still struggles a bit.i can hit rpb topspin but not consistently. Would you recommend learning TBP block and drive and rpb for spin (like ma lin) or do everything with rpb side like wang Hao?

I don't try to reach a super high level, just learn something new decently.

Maybe I put up a video next week.

BTW what do you think about my grip. Does it work like that?

Last edited by Dominikk85; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:24 PM.

This user has no status.

D
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Jul 2017
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominikk85
    I got myself a cheap cpen blade because I like to try it out.

Forehand and serve work well already but backhand still struggles a bit.i can hit rpb topspin but not consistently. Would you recommend learning TBP block and drive and rpb for spin (like ma lin) or do everything with rpb side like wang Hao?

I don't try to reach a super high level, just learn something new decently.

Maybe I put up a video next week.

BTW what do you think about my grip. Does it work like that?

https://youtu.be/T3Zj6HTtjl0

At amateur level tpb is very effective. It offers far more variety in pace, spin and speed than rpb. Check out this old guy.

The Following User Likes SFF_lib's Post:

Dominikk85

This user has no status.

D
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Jul 2017
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    Yeah that seems to be a style that works not at the highest level anymore but ages pretty well, he zhi Wen and ni xia lian were top 100 in the world at over 50 years old.

Until 2000 points or so any style can probably work anyway as long you master it well.

This user has no status.

D
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Jul 2017
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    Btw is there a reason why some famous Cpen players played not so fast (non carbon) blades? As far as I know ma lin and wang hao played all wood bats without carbon, xue fei I think too.

since those players are pretty offensive players why weren't they using super fast carbon blades like most SH players did since the mid 00s?

This user has no status.

TTD Member 2 18
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 18 2

User Info Menu

Apr 2019
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    Hi everyone! I thinking about completely changing my style and going Jpen. I have been using a grip that was unorthodox, thumb on the back of the paddle. I want to get to 1500-1600 USATT, and I’m about 1100 right now. Thanks

The Following User Likes Flathitter's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Btw is there a reason why some famous Cpen players played not so fast (non carbon) blades? As far as I know ma lin and wang hao played all wood bats without carbon, xue fei I think too.

since those players are pretty offensive players why weren't they using super fast carbon blades like most SH players did since the mid 00s?
    Ma Lin plays Yasaka Extra Offensive. He started in the 38mm era that allowed unlimited boosting. Hence back then most pros used all wood blade.

Wang Hao played all wood until 2009 when VOC glue became illegal. He changed to Hao 3.

Xue Fei plays N301 which has a similar composition of W968.

The Following 2 Users Like SFF_lib's Post:

Dominikk85 and OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by Flathitter
    Hi everyone! I thinking about completely changing my style and going Jpen. I have been using a grip that was unorthodox, thumb on the back of the paddle. I want to get to 1500-1600 USATT, and I’m about 1100 right now. Thanks
    Jpen requires very fast footwork so you can attack with FH from all angles.

The Following 2 Users Like SFF_lib's Post:

Flathitter and OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

https://youtu.be/qII51IqnCqY

Another example of excellent use of TPB. Cpen is still a very competitive style as long as you can run fast

The Following 3 Users Like SFF_lib's Post:

Dominikk85, Flathitter and 1 other

This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 69
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 69 28
    bit of a rant, finding a good rubber for JPEN is honestly pretty hard if you're looking for rubbers that aren't made by butterfly

to me, a good rubber for JPEN is a rubber that does everything well, from blocking to short game.

since you're running all over the place with only one rubber to play with instead of two, you're already at a disadvantage compared to SH and CPEN. and believe me it sucks a lot if (for example) your rubber is only good for looping and horrendous at short game and blocking.

rasanter R50 is pretty good in the do-it-all aspect while still packing a punch, it even has a better feeling compared to fastarc g-1. the durability of the rubber on the other hand is a let down.

fastarc g-1 is the only rubber that satisfied my requirements but i dont like how the rubber feels and its pretty boring if you play with the same rubber for years.

ever since i made the switch to CPEN, i don't really have this concern anymore. i just slap on a pair of cheap tacky 729s and feel satisfied.

The Following User Likes netdriver's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

D
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Jul 2017
    Germany
    Read 0 Reviews
    found this channel pretty interesting. That stroke in the video looks interesting, looks like a topspin with the traditional penhold side.

Not sure how effective it is though but looks interesting

The Following User Likes Dominikk85's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

TTD Member 52 75
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 75 52

User Info Menu

Jun 2019
    Croatia
    Read 0 Reviews

The Following User Likes dajdosta's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 1
    P
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 1

User Info Menu

Feb 2020
    Hong Kong
    Read 1 Reviews

hey,

i am a mordeen penholder.
    equipment:
    DHS h301
    fh rubber: nittaku hurricane 3 neo
    bh rubber: dignics 05

i def recommend nittaku hurricane 3 neo, really spinny on my forehand

The Following User Likes percy's Post:

OldschoolPenholder

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,726 1,784
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,784 2,726
    Found out last night, the dept of parks rec ctr i play at has changed schedules. No more evenings for TT. Only daytime.

--------

re: grips - i've heard of players switching grips between their FH and BH, however, I am at a level that I cannot do that quickly and effortlessly. I use only one grip. I have experimented with a few different grips after my 32 years break. I have come back to the one I used as a kid, 3 fingers somewhat curled on the back. Find what works for you and is comfortable for you. Then put in the time playing and getting used to it.

I tried the 3 fingers extended on the back - great FH, but as I was also trying to learn RPB, i misjudge and ball kept hitting my fingers.
    New mantra: I should rather return one more ball and maybe get killed than kill myself and not make the shot.

--------------------------------------
    https://vimeo.com/user56649342
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClR...u057SJTKL4O9Og

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

found this channel pretty interesting. That stroke in the video looks interesting, looks like a topspin with the traditional penhold side.

Not sure how effective it is though but looks interesting

This does look interesting!! Thank you for posting the video!

For any TPB players, this may be a good intermediate step/stroke to learning RPB proper should a player use 2 rubbers. For one rubber, this looks like it adds a dimension to the TPB gameplay that may be unexpected for the opponent.

New mantra: I should rather return one more ball and maybe get killed than kill myself and not make the shot.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Quote Originally Posted by SFF_lib
    https://youtu.be/qII51IqnCqY

Another example of excellent use of TPB. Cpen is still a very competitive style as long as you can run fast

Great match, dynamic CPEN! Thank you for the video!

Interesting on his grip. Watching at work, meaning I should not be watching LOL, it seems his grip has somewhat extended fingers. At 1:52 we see his grip. He RPBs occasionally and lots of TPB. Wonder if he switches grip for TPB. I for one could NOT TPB with the extended fingers grip.