Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
Asked but forgot to get he specific name of that Tuttle rubber. He said it was not anti.
But it says “ prevention arc”, which is “防弧” or “anti spin”
I’ve glued these rubbers for a friend, it’s a laughable attempt at an anti.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My friend bought his cybershape cpen knockoff from a mutual friend. I will buy one too. Mainly due to our mutual friend's circumstances, i want to support him somewhat and buy a knockoff from him. I generally do NOT use/buy knockoffs though.

Attached are pix of my friend's cybershape knockoff.

cshape%2020220625%20194739%20jpg.jpeg

If you look closely at the base of the handle, the handle is delaminating and not fully attached.

If you look closely at the base of the handle, the handle is delaminating and not fully attached.

Naa, not delaminating more like the glue is giving up and handle is coming loose. Has happened to me several times, even on my BTY Primorac Carbon. I just took the handle off and re-glued it.

Cheers

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
But it says “ prevention arc”, which is “防弧” or “anti spin”
I’ve glued these rubbers for a friend, it’s a laughable attempt at an anti.

Will check again tomorrow night. Will say after hitting with it, it does NOT hit like Anti.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
After unintentional years of playing with Donic Bluefire on my FH/Xiom Vega Pro on my RPB on my Butterfly Taksim, finally had a chance to buy new rubbers and put them on. Will try this setup tonight: MX-P on FH and Yinhe Mercury 2 on RPB. Not my first time using MX-P, like it a lot. Although in the past, I did not use it on a carbon blade like the Taksim. The Mercury 2 may be temporary for RPB. Originally wanted to try the Yinhe Big Dipper as RPB which I've tried to in the past and liked, but that was not dedicated playing, just messing around. If I get used to and like the Mercury 2, i will hold off on the Big Dipper.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Read 1 reviews
I’ve been really enjoying Loki rubbers so far! I think Rxton 1 is a terrific rubber for both rpb and forehand.

Defo try this out. I’m experimenting with boosting and how many I’d like. I usually do 3 layers of seamoon but recently I’ve glued up a sheet with only 1 layer and it plays great as well!

i don’t like rxton 3 that much- or maybe it was a bad pairing?

I like rxton 1 and 5.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
enlightenment

Great video. He said serve reverse pendulum or backhand serve into short forehand of right handed shake hand player, right? As a lefty the would be a regular pendulum or inside side spin serve, right?

Also regarding backhand serve many penhold guys of the 70s and 80s did that but the younger penhold guys like wang hao, ma lin, xu xin never serve backhand. Why did players stop using it (shake hand too except a few guys like dima sometimes)?

Last edited:
Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
They have hook/shovel serve in their basket for the same purpose and more deceptive. They all have mastered the backhand serve, but they'd like to use it as a tool to change the pace of the game instead of regularly. Same as shakehand player except defensive players.

That's for high-end players. For us, it is as good as pendulum.

Last edited:
says former JPEN, now CPEN
says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
I have another question about BH underspin push.

Should you push more straight across the body or take back the forearm across the chest first?

See video for clarification what I mean:

https://youtube.com/shorts/-_nHJRwLIR0?feature=share
both r doable, depends on what u want to do. i would do the 2nd motion if i want to push the ball to the left or if theres sidespin on the ball.

as long as u can get under the ball and not have the ball drop into the net it should b fine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Dang qiu is the first european born European champion so that's a pretty cool win for penhold play and one of the greatest young talents in felix lebrun is a penholder too.

Do you think those two guys will revive the penhold play in china a bit? Not saying they will go back to ph now but I'm sure they would hate it if a non chinese won a world title with the "chinese grip".

What's also interesting is that dang and felix don't use the black side at all for any backhand balls, not just loop but also block and even pushes are played with the red side.

Should modern Penholders even learn tpb or just play every ball to the backhand side with the red side? Does learning TBP impair learning RPB? Some modern PH players took quite long to have a good RBP but lebrun had a great backhand since he was 12 or so so maybe just learning RPB accelerates the learning?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Dang qiu is the first european born European champion so that's a pretty cool win for penhold play and one of the greatest young talents in felix lebrun is a penholder too.

Do you think those two guys will revive the penhold play in china a bit? Not saying they will go back to ph now but I'm sure they would hate it if a non chinese won a world title with the "chinese grip".

What's also interesting is that dang and felix don't use the black side at all for any backhand balls, not just loop but also block and even pushes are played with the red side.

Should modern Penholders even learn tpb or just play every ball to the backhand side with the red side? Does learning TBP impair learning RPB? Some modern PH players took quite long to have a good RBP but lebrun had a great backhand since he was 12 or so so maybe just learning RPB accelerates the learning?
TPB can produce more variations than RPB. Ma Lin is the prime example.

But the advantage of TPB relies on deceitful short game and various push close to table. It suits the old ball better as 40mm balls bounces lower and travels faster.

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
TPB can produce more variations than RPB. Ma Lin is the prime example.

But the advantage of TPB relies on deceitful short game and various push close to table. It suits the old ball better as 40mm balls bounces lower and travels faster.

I actually don't feel TPB is good to learn.

TPB - once you get into position, you can't attack in a split second. Especially if you using a Cpen blade. (it is easier to attack with Jpen).

With RPB, you can adjust your stroke in the 11th hour if you need, and mix from block to attack, to side spin, to chop/push.
When you get into an RPB position, you have more variation than TPB

One could also chop block like Ma Lin with RPB, but in whole not so many players use chopblock nowadays. Maybe less than 1 in 10 (and that is for all grips)

Reactions: ricospin