Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
do worship your gods but be tolerant and accepting of other religions OSPH , and certainly don't believe in miracles :p
I think ZJK did brush lightly but the PH in me has to say Ma Lin's spin is amazing and ZJK missed due to the incredible amount of spin LOL

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
... I can't find any blade lighter than 80g.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

You should look for hinoki blades. There are real featherweights out there.
I just got a Darker 5p2A Carbon (SH though) that came in about 60grams (!!).

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
You should look for hinoki blades. There are real featherweights out there.
I just got a Darker 5p2A Carbon (SH though) that came in about 60grams (!!).
60g is crazy!! Carbon is hard though. Darker also release a ALC hinoki blade but only in China I think.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Mine is a Jpen 64g, 1 ply of Western Red Cedar (hinoki/ cypress family). Kevin made it for me (American Hinoki). It was probably the lightest 9 mm WRC that he made I guess...
I have heard of Kevin. I never knew American red cedar can be that light!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Hi guys!

I just shaved my oversized Dr. Neubauer firewall plus to a make it a compact sized blade. The result is outstanding!

1. More solid vibration.
2. Lesser weight, the blade is already 65g when oversized.
3. More balanced weight
4. More maneuverability due to lesser wrist strain
5. And most of all....MORE SPEED!!! It went from a humble ALL-OFF-(passive-active strokes) to a whooping, say, OFF--OFF+

Also I can pair all my used rubbers with it since all of them will fit on the blade now.

Next plan is converting it in to Jpen. Any advice how to remove the wood on the handle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Next plan is converting it in to Jpen. Any advice how to remove the wood on the handle?

WOW! Good luck on the conversion!

Ages ago, I took off the handle of the DHS '08' 7 ply blade i had. I did a horrible job, and I had to file/sand the leftover handle I didn't get off.

I started with a razor blade and slowly sliced into the handle top and bottom. Probably a better way to do it, but since that time ages ago, i've not taken off the handle of my blades... although there are some i want to.

Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
WOW! Good luck on the conversion!

Ages ago, I took off the handle of the DHS '08' 7 ply blade i had. I did a horrible job, and I had to file/sand the leftover handle I didn't get off.

I started with a razor blade and slowly sliced into the handle top and bottom. Probably a better way to do it, but since that time ages ago, i've not taken off the handle of my blades... although there are some i want to.

Good luck!

acetone helps to remove the handle, I use a plastic syringe with acetone to do that.

Thanks, guys! I'll try your advice. I'll post it here when I'm done. ;)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi guys!

I just shaved my oversized Dr. Neubauer firewall plus to a make it a compact sized blade. The result is outstanding!

1. More solid vibration.
2. Lesser weight, the blade is already 65g when oversized.
3. More balanced weight
4. More maneuverability due to lesser wrist strain
5. And most of all....MORE SPEED!!! It went from a humble ALL-OFF-(passive-active strokes) to a whooping, say, OFF--OFF+

Also I can pair all my used rubbers with it since all of them will fit on the blade now.

Did you use sand paper to sand down the head of the blade?

I have been thinking about this idea as my darker 90 cpen has too much weight toward the head. This makes RPB very uncomfortable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Yes common problem for thick blades, mine is also 10mm.

Yes, sandpaper and a block of wood (to rub the sand paper with and to even the edges). First I used 100 grade sand paper to shave the corners (other forums suggested 80g) and when I made it to the line I marked, I switched to 800 grade to smoothed the edges. But my blade is balsa so it's pretty easy to shave the sides, took me a little less than an hour. For hinoki maybe it will take you a bit longer, but hey, patience is a virtue.

P.S. I did not use any machines, I just used my hands.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
and here we go again...
so, heres another problem for me . im currently using hh3, which i kinda like(or not), its so fast for me i guess. im looking for a pure wood again. is there any good blades ~50$ or they r cheap not worthing attention and better to buy some quality stuff.
halp
DHS fang bo b2 carbon

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
If you are going to use RPB, the side of your middle finger should be on the paddle.

As for the sweat, it happens to me too. I found that peeling and eating tangerines (which I do at the club) makes them stop sweating for some reason.

Otherwise, I make sure to dry my hands often during play, and wash my hands between practices.
I tried at the beginning, to put the mid finger sideways on the bat..after 3 session my palm was so much in pain. The joint below the mid finger swelled up. Exactly here.
1c27dd358eea8ca2b02c5cb2574a6946.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I tried at the beginning, to put the mid finger sideways on the bat..after 3 session my palm was so much in pain. The joint below the mid finger swelled up. Exactly here.
cache.php

You shouldn't be gripping your paddle very tightly. If you don't find it relaxing, then your fingers might be in the wrong place somewhere.

Could you take another picture, this time a picture of you holding the paddle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
You shouldn't be gripping your paddle very tightly. If you don't find it relaxing, then your fingers might be in the wrong place somewhere.

Could you take another picture, this time a picture of you holding the paddle?
I will try my former grip (mid finger sideways) today in practice and will upload a pic then. Thanks.

This user has no status.

Is this considered a general advice for penholders? 1 year ago, I transitionned to penhold (after 15 years of shakehand grip), and I've had this question for a long time. Shakehand players are very often told to use the least amount of "grip pressure" to hold the bat, ideally only holding it by the thumb / index pinch (I remember a Chinese coach saying that the bat must be hold like you'd hold a bird in your hand, very gently to not hurt it). But I never found any comparable advice for penholders, and I've been wondering if penholders are supposed to grip the bat a bit more tightly compared to shakehand players, or if it depends on the specific grip you use, fingers size, etc.

I seem to need a firmer grip in penhold than in shakehand but that's all I know and I don't have many other penholders around here to discuss this... So that's an interesting topic to me (and maybe other self-trained penholders ;) ), I'd like to know your thoughts about this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Is this considered a general advice for penholders? 1 year ago, I transitionned to penhold (after 15 years of shakehand grip), and I've had this question for a long time. Shakehand players are very often told to use the least amount of "grip pressure" to hold the bat, ideally only holding it by the thumb / index pinch (I remember a Chinese coach saying that the bat must be hold like you'd hold a bird in your hand, very gently to not hurt it). But I never found any comparable advice for penholders, and I've been wondering if penholders are supposed to grip the bat a bit more tightly compared to shakehand players, or if it depends on the specific grip you use, fingers size, etc.

I seem to need a firmer grip in penhold than in shakehand but that's all I know and I don't have many other penholders around here to discuss this... So that's an interesting topic to me (and maybe other self-trained penholders ;) ), I'd like to know your thoughts about this.

In table tennis, it is generally not a good idea to grip your paddle so tightly all the time. You need to be able to securely hold the paddle without using much hand strength. Usually, the positioning of your fingers will do that for you with the penhold grip.

In the case of penhold, the thinking is the same.

If you want a shakehand and penhold comparision:

Shakehand thumb = penhold thumb and index finger

Shakehand index finger = penhold middle finger and other fingers if applied.

I would say that since everybody's hands are different, so it is hard to say anymore than the general advice.
I wouldn't say that you really need to grip the paddle any tighter, it's just that the shakehand grip is a lot easier to correctly do.

I've experimented a lot with my grip and I've noticed that you will need to grip tighter if the paddle is not secure.