Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Take the advice from ttmonster. It will numb your index finger after an hour or so. Please shave your flares.
Ok I will. Thanks. Although, index finger and thumb are alright with the amount of sanding I have done so far. Main issue is still the pain in middle finger and in the palm just below the middle finger.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I would wait for the PH-ers to come back on the specifics of the grip and they may want two more pictures one from each side , but it seems to me that because of the flares being so high or not , the angle between your fingers is higher and you are pushing down with your top two fingers on your middle finger harder .. so you definitely have to relax the grip , for a shake hand what I do is that before serve receive I have this routine where I do a mini version of the tennis players rotating the racquet by just shaking the my hand and my fingers on the paddle slightly to ensure that my fingers are loose... and I am not gripping too tight ... you could also re-inforce your fingers with some taping .. not sure if that will help but its worth a shot if its bothering you ...
Ok I will. Thanks. Although, index finger and thumb are alright with the amount of sanding I have done so far. Main issue is still the pain in middle finger and in the palm just below the middle finger.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I am not a PH by any imagination and other guys will give you better advice on the grip itself , but looking at your pic its obvious you need to sand the flares down .. PH-ers always do that ...

Yes for sure sand those wings. That just looks like blisters waiting to happen.

On my clipper if you saw the wings, they're completely rounded on each side and given the years of play, have been worn in to be very smooth and it's really comfortable.

On the topic of comfort, everybody take at look at the pink section of this blade. For comfort, I like this part of the blade to be skinny so the blade is more straight in my hand vs angled down. Jpens do a great job of this given it's usually a thin piece of cork there.

Well my Stiga & Yinhe blade have nice skinny sections here. I once had a DHS PG7 and did not like how round & thick that section was. Made the blade uncomfortable. So i sanded that section (would be the ping part in this pic) to be quite concave with a drimmel where my hand rests. It made a world of difference.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Yes for sure sand those wings. That just looks like blisters waiting to happen.

On my clipper if you saw the wings, they're completely rounded on each side and given the years of play, have been worn in to be very smooth and it's really comfortable.

On the topic of comfort, everybody take at look at the pink section of this blade. For comfort, I like this part of the blade to be skinny so the blade is more straight in my hand vs angled down. Jpens do a great job of this given it's usually a thin piece of cork there.

Well my Stiga & Yinhe blade have nice skinny sections here. I once had a DHS PG7 and did not like how round & thick that section was. Made the blade uncomfortable. So i sanded that section (would be the ping part in this pic) to be quite concave with a drimmel where my hand rests. It made a world of difference.

May be my work firewalls ... i don't see pix

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Guys, any videos to help me with TPB...I almost had no TPB.

Ma Lin explains TPB. In Chinese tho. But you can watch the motion and guess what he's saying.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

To add, here's Guo Yuehua's instructional ~10:20 - ~14:20

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
So finally I moved my lazy butt and played for 3 hours. Here's the pic of my RPB grip.

cache.php

This is how I hold my racket

Note: the side of my middle finger isn't perfectly perpendicular to the paddle. It's actually diagonal. Also, my ring finger also lightly touches the rubber. my pinky is loose.

I'm curious as to how you grip the paddle with your thumb and index finger.

From what I see from your picture, I'm guessing that your grip is a lot farther from the center of the paddle then I thought. As you can see, my hand and fingers are a lot closer to the center of the paddle.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
This is how I hold my racket

Note: the side of my middle finger isn't perfectly perpendicular to the paddle. It's actually diagonal. Also, my ring finger also lightly touches the rubber. my pinky is loose.

I'm curious as to how you grip the paddle with your thumb and index finger.

From what I see from your picture, I'm guessing that your grip is a lot farther from the center of the paddle then I thought. As you can see, my hand and fingers are a lot closer to the center of the paddle.
Thanks. I will make a video too.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
*Cross-posted with Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat Thread*

13 May/Saturday, fellow TTD member and CCer '42andbackpains' feeding me multiball. Edited fluff out, although the fluff contained some early missed shots or misfeed, it also contain 42&bp constantly reminding me of the looping stroke ... my 'muscle memory' (such a misnomer, muscles have no memory) keeps going for the oldschool 1980's sidespin loop with the long windup stroke ... looking to have a shorter/compacter stroke and loop topspin instead of sidespin ... need to trust the rubber also ... 42&bp's chastisement echo my lessons with TTD members Der_Echte and NextLevel from 2 Oct 2016.

FTR, the racket is an American Hinoki CPen with 2 inverted sheets: Tenergy FX-80 ... having previously played with chinese rubbers, i didn't quite get the feel for tensor rubbers until i started playing with MX-P. The A.H. blade is much smaller than other CPen's I've used. The Tenergy is very bouncy and I am still learning to adjust to it and let it do the work without the ball flying off the table LOL. Only my 6th time using it.

Also I see what UpSideDownCarl spotted previously, my left arm sometimes goes a little wonky when looping. During warmup pace, i seem to be able to keep left arm relatively stationary, but during multiball/pressure, my structure/form has been compromised.

For a good laugh, warts and all (i'm on the far side dressed in black):

0:00 - 1:00 - FH warmup/loops
1:00 - 3:48 - First basket FH loop (2nd basket of FH loop not included in this edited)
3:49 - 5:48 - 3rd basket - FH loop 1st ball, FH loop drive 2nd ball - i gassed out and quit in the middle of the 3rd basket as it was unproductive

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
*Cross-posted with Daily Table Tennis Chit Chat Thread*

13 May/Saturday, fellow TTD member and CCer '42andbackpains' feeding me multiball. Edited fluff out, although the fluff contained some early missed shots or misfeed, it also contain 42&bp constantly reminding me of the looping stroke ... my 'muscle memory' (such a misnomer, muscles have no memory) keeps going for the oldschool 1980's sidespin loop with the long windup stroke ... looking to have a shorter/compacter stroke and loop topspin instead of sidespin ... need to trust the rubber also ... 42&bp's chastisement echo my lessons with TTD members Der_Echte and NextLevel from 2 Oct 2016.

FTR, the racket is an American Hinoki CPen with 2 inverted sheets: Tenergy FX-80 ... having previously played with chinese rubbers, i didn't quite get the feel for tensor rubbers until i started playing with MX-P. The A.H. blade is much smaller than other CPen's I've used. The Tenergy is very bouncy and I am still learning to adjust to it and let it do the work without the ball flying off the table LOL. Only my 6th time using it.

Also I see what UpSideDownCarl spotted previously, my left arm sometimes goes a little wonky when looping. During warmup pace, i seem to be able to keep left arm relatively stationary, but during multiball/pressure, my structure/form has been compromised.

For a good laugh, warts and all (i'm on the far side dressed in black):

0:00 - 1:00 - FH warmup/loops
1:00 - 3:48 - First basket FH loop (2nd basket of FH loop not included in this edited)
3:49 - 5:48 - 3rd basket - FH loop 1st ball, FH loop drive 2nd ball - i gassed out and quit in the middle of the 3rd basket as it was unproductive

Heyyyyy
[Emoji2]
Nice arc on your swings and feet remind me a bit of the young Muhammad Ali.
[Emoji2]
Definitely nine(!!) points you have to give to me.
Also very nice of 42&BP to feed you multiballs.
Btw: i don't know if i counted correctly, but isn't he 44&BP now?
Lololol
[Emoji23]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Heyyyyy
[Emoji2]
Nice arc on your swings and feet remind me a bit of the young Muhammad Ali.
[Emoji2]
Definitely nine(!!) points you have to give to me.
Also very nice of 42&BP to feed you multiballs.
Btw: i don't know if i counted correctly, but isn't he 44&BP now?
Lololol
[Emoji23]

LOLOLOLOLOL

ttmonster in 3,2,1 to quarantine me yet again!

and DRATS! Foiled again!

*uses the JeffM tactic*

OK Suga D, i'll give you 9 points and you give me 9 points :)

Seriously, thank you for your kind words Suga D, I'm still working on looping properly ... still loads to work on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
After a week of playing inverted rubbers I found out that I can't create my own power. I tend to loose against control oriented players, especially fishers/lobbers. Since they don't attack much there's nothing for me to counter or block. Also, I suck away from the table. Balls always fall close to the net and easy to attack by my opponent.

On the good side. I realized I have sick serves. I got most of my points from my serves or 3rd ball attacks.

This got me thinking, maybe hybrid rubbers will suite me. Tacky sheet which will be great for my services and tensored sponge that will provide the power I lack. Hmmm.. On that said, which do you guys think is the best out there? I am thinking of:

Xiom Vega China VM
Xiom Tau
Tibhar Hybrid K1 Plus
Palio Thors
Palio Blitz
Palio Aeolous
DHS Tin Arc 5

I'm looking for Power/speed>spin. More euro/jap feel but chinese reactions.

Or should I just go back to pips?

Anyway. Thanks, guys!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
After a week of playing inverted rubbers I found out that I can't create my own power. I tend to loose against control oriented players, especially fishers/lobbers. Since they don't attack much there's nothing for me to counter or block. Also, I suck away from the table. Balls always fall close to the net and easy to attack by my opponent.

On the good side. I realized I have sick serves. I got most of my points from my serves or 3rd ball attacks.

This got me thinking, maybe hybrid rubbers will suite me. Tacky sheet which will be great for my services and tensored sponge that will provide the power I lack. Hmmm.. On that said, which do you guys think is the best out there? I am thinking of:

Xiom Vega China VM
Xiom Tau
Tibhar Hybrid K1 Plus
Palio Thors
Palio Blitz
Palio Aeolous
DHS Tin Arc 5

I'm looking for Power/speed>spin. More euro/jap feel but chinese reactions.

Or should I just go back to pips?

Anyway. Thanks, guys!
I know a lot of good reviews on Tibhar Hybrid on Chinese TT forum.

Hurricane 8 is more elastic and the sponge is porous. Plays like a Euro sponge.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk