Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
I know a lot of good reviews on Tibhar Hybrid on Chinese TT forum.

Hurricane 8 is more elastic and the sponge is porous. Plays like a Euro sponge.

Sent from my WAS-LX2 using Tapatalk

I tried going to chinese forum also but I just couldn't get the right translation for the review on tibhar hybrid.

H8 is elastic but I don't think it has the speed. It's more of a spin machine, I think. Plus I'm looking for a Red rubber. As far as I know Chinese rubbers are mostly better in black. On the euro scale how hard is H8? I'm looking for 47 to around 55.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
Saw some people talking about sweat issues. I think it's imperative to wear a sweat band on your racket hand. It stops sweat dripping down your arm onto bh side. I also always play with a dry sponge in my pocket.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Saw some people talking about sweat issues. I think it's imperative to wear a sweat band on your racket hand. It stops sweat dripping down your arm onto bh side. I also always play with a dry sponge in my pocket.
Thanks. Used that as well. It got drenched and again the palm was wet. Specially the middle and ring fingers. I guess I just sweat like a swine :).

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Put some powder deodorant or foot powder in you hand and wrist then wear wrist band or if it's really like a river flow, use arm band. I have a friend with the same problem. He rub some powder deodorant on his hands before every game. It works well for him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hello Penholders (and Shakehand lurkers ;-)

Being a 1-sided PH who played regularly 30+ yrs ago, I have gotten back into TT for ~2 yrs now. I didn't think I would try out the modern PH style with RPB because I didn't think my wrist could handle the weight of 2 Inverted as well as 1 Inverted and 1 SP.

Recently, I was fortunate to have gotten a used American Hinoki CPen. Overall size of the blade is noticeably smaller than other CPen blades I've used these past 2 years: 30+ yrs old Double Happiness '08'; Avalox P700; and Amazon Nexy CPen). The AH with 2 inverted, guessing due to its smaller size as well as hinoki wood, is light enough for me to play RPB.

Last night, made some progress at RPB loop as well as punch. Still need loads of training time, but slowly getting it. Kind of fun, still love oldschool punching though. When I'm semi-consistent with the RPB, will have to really think about my game ... although I have an extra tool to use in my arsenal, it gives me 2 more choices, and the extra choices will slow my decision time.

Sadly no video. Didn't remember to record the session.

Thanks. Used that as well. It got drenched and again the palm was wet. Specially the middle and ring fingers. I guess I just sweat like a swine :).

I mean, Im always salty when I lose, but when I flick a ball and it just falls in the table...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Recently, I was fortunate to have gotten a used American Hinoki CPen. Overall size of the blade is noticeably smaller than other CPen blades I've used these past 2 years: 30+ yrs old Double Happiness '08'; Avalox P700; and Amazon Nexy CPen). The AH with 2 inverted, guessing due to its smaller size as well as hinoki wood, is light enough for me to play RPB.

Last night, made some progress at RPB loop as well as punch. Still need loads of training time, but slowly getting it. Kind of fun, still love oldschool punching though. When I'm semi-consistent with the RPB, will have to really think about my game ... although I have an extra tool to use in my arsenal, it gives me 2 more choices, and the extra choices will slow my decision time.

Happy to hear this progress OSP. I suppose it's about finding the right combination. I've played 2 sided cpen for years (granted most with some pips combination which are typically very light) but I once held a buddy's cpen with two DHS rubbers on there. Talk about a lead weight. There are some inverted rubbers that are significantly lighter than others (i've played duel inverted before) so I guess it's just about picking the right rubbers. Sounds like you have a combination that's light enough so there ya go.

I completely know what you mean about the indecision thing.
That frustrated to me when I was first trying to learn RPB. In that split second, RPB or TPB. It can mess with your mind and hurt your game if you have to decide. I suppose it'd be like a shakehander getting jammed in their crossover point.

I think my problem was that I was trying to go all Wang Hao with it RPB almost exclusively. Maybe try this. Tell your brain it's okay to use TPB most of the time. Exliminate that indecision. Tell yourself if it's close or unsure, go TPB. Give us your best Ma Lin impersonation. ;) It's what you're comfortable with. You can probably block & punch fine with it. So use it. But on those balls where you have a pinch more time and/or the ball is higher (which is harder for a TPB to attack), smoke those balls with the RPB. Maybe you'll find a good balance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Happy to hear this progress OSP.

Thank you suds.

Sounds like you have a combination that's light enough so there ya go.

I truly am shocked that my wrist/hand can handle the weight of the A.Hinoki and 2 inverted.

I completely know what you mean about the indecision thing.
... I suppose it'd be like a shakehander getting jammed in their crossover point.

Yeah, Hick's Law is about how too many choices slows the decision-making process down.

I am also not mentally fluid to flow yet with respect to being fixated on the RPB techniques and the ball lands on my FH side, i would still be doing a RPB. LOL

I think my problem was that I was trying to go all Wang Hao with it RPB almost exclusively. Maybe try this. Tell your brain it's okay to use TPB most of the time. Exliminate that indecision. Tell yourself if it's close or unsure, go TPB. Give us your best Ma Lin impersonation. ;) It's what you're comfortable with. You can probably block & punch fine with it. So use it. But on those balls where you have a pinch more time and/or the ball is higher (which is harder for a TPB to attack), smoke those balls with the RPB. Maybe you'll find a good balance.

That's my overall plan - we will see if I am able to implement it though LOL

Thank you suds for the advice!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Cross-posting with the Daily TT Chit Chat thread
------------------------------------------------------

Happy Friday!

Last night I was at the club for 4 hrs and played about 3 hrs with the last hour just training - 30 mins for me on RPB loop and 30 mins for my partner

A little less than 4 mins edited ... did not include the full session ... as it's a bad angle to begin with as well as 50/50 hits/misses ... and I was only doing serve and 3rd ball RPB loop or 2nd ball RPB loop. Towards the end of this vid, I was a little better and landed more in

Apologies for the bad angle - at least i captured to video something for you all to laugh at. Please LOLOL at my expense!

Have a great weekend PHers (and you SHer's who post/lurk here too!!)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Have a great weekend PHers (and you SHer's who post/lurk here too!!)

... and this is how segregation starts ... now we will have to wait for the nelson mandelas , the desmund tutus, the martin luther kings of the world .....

Imagine there's no pehhold
It's easy if you try
No lack of backhand below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people playing backhands today

Imagine there's no TPB
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to only block for
And no misses on wide backhand too
Imagine all the people looping backhands in peace, you

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
LOL ... WOW!!

However, i feel PH dying out ... there will be NO segregation as it will be all SH one day.

And one day, sadly I may be playing SH also.

... and this is how segregation starts ... now we will have to wait for the nelson mandelas , the desmund tutus, the martin luther kings of the world .....

Imagine there's no pehhold
It's easy if you try
No lack of backhand below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people playing backhands today

Imagine there's no TPB
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to only block for
And no misses on wide backhand too
Imagine all the people looping backhands in peace, you

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

• Sad
Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Of course I was kidding ... we need penholders , but probably its a best idea to leave it to the young kids :)
LOL ... WOW!!

However, i feel PH dying out ... there will be NO segregation as it will be all SH one day.

And one day, sadly I may be playing SH also.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Guys, would you please upload the pics of your paddles to highlight the sanded part/s.

1) "Excalibur" - what I named my Double Happiness '08' 7-ply blade :) ... this blade is from late 1970's or early 1980's - got it used from a friend

I had a DHS factory off-the-shelf model in which I had sanded the bottom of the handle to the way I liked it. This handle facilitated my punch (back in 1980's, this was called a 'push-block') technique. Family pet dog bit the handle one day, and I did my best to mend it. Also, the handle cracked from some smashes or loops and i lost my grip and the racket flew.

In the first pic you can see how much i sanded the wings and the 2nd pic you can see the groove on the bottom of the handle.

~2 yrs ago, after a 30+ yrs break from TT, I started using this again... late last year, I noticed some crack lines showing up and I decided to retire Excalibur.

20170519_081230_1495196765965.jpg20170519_081237_1495196765447.jpg

2) Avalox P700 - My former backup blade turned main blade after I retired Excalibur.

I didn't like the chunky handle ... much thicker than my preference. In the first pic you can see the wings have been sanded. I believe it's sold this way. I'm not 100% sure as my friend gave me this blade. Because of the chunkiness of the handle, I was able to sand/file/shave some of the bottom of the handle to have a little groove there. I tried both an inverted sheet as well as thin SP... way too heavy for me. This is now my backup to my backup blade.

20170519_081306_1495196733542.jpg20170519_081327_1495196733069.jpg

3) Nexy Amazon CPen - a gracious gift from Nexy Ambassador/Janitor/Employee Der_Echte as Nexy sent him a CPen mistakenly

I did not sand the wings down to my satisfaction, but have started. The sanded area exposes the darker wooden ply below the lighter wooden ply. I really like the combo of MX-P and the blade for my close to the table play of block/punch/smash/loop (although my looping sucks). I tried another inverted on the backside looking to update my oldschool PH game to incorporate the modern RBP style. Setup too heavy for my wrist and after 2 hours, my wrist/hand hurt. I also tried a thin SP on the backside with an eye towards a possible twiddling game. My wrist couldn't handle the weight of that setup also. Currently have a LP OX on the back but have not tried to incorporated LP tactics into my game.

20170519_081251_1495196733762.jpg

4) Currently am using the prize I received from NextLevel's Christmas contest, an American Hinoki CPen with 2 Tenergy FX-80, to learn RPB.

This is shocking to me as my wrist CAN handle the weight of the 2 inverted. The AH is noticeably smaller. In the 1st pic and 2nd pic, it may not be as apparent at how much smaller the blade is compared to the other CPen blades I've used but it is evident if you held the blades in person.

1st pic - L to R = DHS 08; Avalox P700; Nexy Amazon; AH

2nd pic - AH laid on top of the Nexy

I am not crazy about the thickness of the cork handle of the AH. It's slightly bigger than the chunky handle of the Avalox. I have not decided if i want to make a groove in the bottom of the handle yet.

20170329_232005_1491307903278.jpg20170329_232642_1491307903825.jpg20170329_234533_1491307903625.jpg

5) My advice is to be gradual when you started sanding the wings

I used a file to start. Once it's partly sanded down, I play with it and find if it's comfortable or not. If it needs to be filed down more, I will file again. If it's almost right, I will use sandpaper to smooth it out. But it's a gradual process to find my comfort level.

If you sanded/filed too much of the wings, you can get 'plastic wood' and add some back as you can see from my DHS 08. But I find it easier to sand it down slowly vs adding plastic wood back to rebuild.

Hope this helps you in sanding the wings down on your blade!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
1) "Excalibur" - what I named my Double Happiness '08' 7-ply blade :) ... this blade is from late 1970's or early 1980's - got it used from a friend

I had a DHS factory off-the-shelf model in which I had sanded the bottom of the handle to the way I liked it. This handle facilitated my punch (back in 1980's, this was called a 'push-block') technique. Family pet dog bit the handle one day, and I did my best to mend it. Also, the handle cracked from some smashes or loops and i lost my grip and the racket flew.

In the first pic you can see how much i sanded the wings and the 2nd pic you can see the groove on the bottom of the handle.

~2 yrs ago, after a 30+ yrs break from TT, I started using this again... late last year, I noticed some crack lines showing up and I decided to retire Excalibur.

View attachment 13150View attachment 13151

2) Avalox P700 - My former backup blade turned main blade after I retired Excalibur.

I didn't like the chunky handle ... much thicker than my preference. In the first pic you can see the wings have been sanded. I believe it's sold this way. I'm not 100% sure as my friend gave me this blade. Because of the chunkiness of the handle, I was able to sand/file/shave some of the bottom of the handle to have a little groove there. I tried both an inverted sheet as well as thin SP... way too heavy for me. This is now my backup to my backup blade.

View attachment 13153View attachment 13154

3) Nexy Amazon CPen - a gracious gift from Nexy Ambassador/Janitor/Employee Der_Echte as Nexy sent him a CPen mistakenly

I did not sand the wings down to my satisfaction, but have started. The sanded area exposes the darker wooden ply below the lighter wooden ply. I really like the combo of MX-P and the blade for my close to the table play of block/punch/smash/loop (although my looping sucks). I tried another inverted on the backside looking to update my oldschool PH game to incorporate the modern RBP style. Setup too heavy for my wrist and after 2 hours, my wrist/hand hurt. I also tried a thin SP on the backside with an eye towards a possible twiddling game. My wrist couldn't handle the weight of that setup also. Currently have a LP OX on the back but have not tried to incorporated LP tactics into my game.

View attachment 13152

4) Currently am using the prize I received from NextLevel's Christmas contest, an American Hinoki CPen with 2 Tenergy FX-80, to learn RPB.

This is shocking to me as my wrist CAN handle the weight of the 2 inverted. The AH is noticeably smaller. In the 1st pic and 2nd pic, it may not be as apparent at how much smaller the blade is compared to the other CPen blades I've used but it is evident if you held the blades in person.

1st pic - L to R = DHS 08; Avalox P700; Nexy Amazon; AH

2nd pic - AH laid on top of the Nexy

I am not crazy about the thickness of the cork handle of the AH. It's slightly bigger than the chunky handle of the Avalox. I have not decided if i want to make a groove in the bottom of the handle yet.

View attachment 13155View attachment 13156View attachment 13157

5) My advice is to be gradual when you started sanding the wings

I used a file to start. Once it's partly sanded down, I play with it and find if it's comfortable or not. If it needs to be filed down more, I will file again. If it's almost right, I will use sandpaper to smooth it out. But it's a gradual process to find my comfort level.

If you sanded/filed too much of the wings, you can get 'plastic wood' and add some back as you can see from my DHS 08. But I find it easier to sand it down slowly vs adding plastic wood back to rebuild.

Hope this helps you in sanding the wings down on your blade!
wow....thanks a ton man...thanks a ton. So much effort into this post. You are a true sportsperson sir.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
1) "Excalibur" - what I named my Double Happiness '08' 7-ply blade :) ... this blade is from late 1970's or early 1980's - got it used from a friend I had a DHS factory off-the-shelf model in which I had sanded the bottom of the handle to the way I liked it. This handle facilitated my punch (back in 1980's, this was called a 'push-block') technique. Family pet dog bit the handle one day, and I did my best to mend it. Also, the handle cracked from some smashes or loops and i lost my grip and the racket flew. In the first pic you can see how much i sanded the wings and the 2nd pic you can see the groove on the bottom of the handle. ~2 yrs ago, after a 30+ yrs break from TT, I started using this again... late last year, I noticed some crack lines showing up and I decided to retire Excalibur. View attachment 13150View attachment 13151 2) Avalox P700 - My former backup blade turned main blade after I retired Excalibur. I didn't like the chunky handle ... much thicker than my preference. In the first pic you can see the wings have been sanded. I believe it's sold this way. I'm not 100% sure as my friend gave me this blade. Because of the chunkiness of the handle, I was able to sand/file/shave some of the bottom of the handle to have a little groove there. I tried both an inverted sheet as well as thin SP... way too heavy for me. This is now my backup to my backup blade. View attachment 13153View attachment 13154 3) Nexy Amazon CPen - a gracious gift from Nexy Ambassador/Janitor/Employee Der_Echte as Nexy sent him a CPen mistakenly I did not sand the wings down to my satisfaction, but have started. The sanded area exposes the darker wooden ply below the lighter wooden ply. I really like the combo of MX-P and the blade for my close to the table play of block/punch/smash/loop (although my looping sucks). I tried another inverted on the backside looking to update my oldschool PH game to incorporate the modern RBP style. Setup too heavy for my wrist and after 2 hours, my wrist/hand hurt. I also tried a thin SP on the backside with an eye towards a possible twiddling game. My wrist couldn't handle the weight of that setup also. Currently have a LP OX on the back but have not tried to incorporated LP tactics into my game. View attachment 13152 4) Currently am using the prize I received from NextLevel's Christmas contest, an American Hinoki CPen with 2 Tenergy FX-80, to learn RPB. This is shocking to me as my wrist CAN handle the weight of the 2 inverted. The AH is noticeably smaller. In the 1st pic and 2nd pic, it may not be as apparent at how much smaller the blade is compared to the other CPen blades I've used but it is evident if you held the blades in person. 1st pic - L to R = DHS 08; Avalox P700; Nexy Amazon; AH 2nd pic - AH laid on top of the Nexy I am not crazy about the thickness of the cork handle of the AH. It's slightly bigger than the chunky handle of the Avalox. I have not decided if i want to make a groove in the bottom of the handle yet. View attachment 13155View attachment 13156View attachment 13157 5) My advice is to be gradual when you started sanding the wings I used a file to start. Once it's partly sanded down, I play with it and find if it's comfortable or not. If it needs to be filed down more, I will file again. If it's almost right, I will use sandpaper to smooth it out. But it's a gradual process to find my comfort level. If you sanded/filed too much of the wings, you can get 'plastic wood' and add some back as you can see from my DHS 08. But I find it easier to sand it down slowly vs adding plastic wood back to rebuild. Hope this helps you in sanding the wings down on your blade!
You are a classic, man. Amazing equipment you have there. Where can we that American Hinoki? Is it available in Jpen?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
You are a classic, man. Amazing equipment you have there. Where can we that American Hinoki? Is it available in Jpen?

I'm a "classic", nice way to say I'm an old fart or relic or dinosaur!! LOLO

Seriousky, I was fortunate to receive the AH blade from member NextLevel ... his friend gave it to him... his friend used that AH as an SH blade!

I didn't have a chance to take pix of 2 more blades ... classic DHS off the shelf blade from 1970''s or 80''s and an old Butterfly Taksim my friend gave to me

Will take pix and post next week... Taksim needs and little cleanup

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
I'm a "classic", nice way to say I'm an old fart or relic or dinosaur!! LOLO

Seriousky, I was fortunate to receive the AH blade from member NextLevel ... his friend gave it to him... his friend used that AH as an SH blade!

I didn't have a chance to take pix of 2 more blades ... classic DHS off the shelf blade from 1970''s or 80''s and an old Butterfly Taksim my friend gave to me

Will take pix and post next week... Taksim needs and little cleanup

Is that supposed to be " LOL"? Because in my language LOLO means grandpa. Lol.

By the way what I meant by classic is someone who's oldschool yet still relevant in today's system. I'm sorry if you thought of it as old fart, I didn't mean it that way.

I like how small that hinoki is. I'm starting to appreciate smaller blades lately. They feel more compact yet lighter and easier to maneuver.

Yes, more pics please of your equipment. They all look great.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Is that supposed to be " LOL"? Because in my language LOLO means grandpa. Lol.

By the way what I meant by classic is someone who's oldschool yet still relevant in today's system. I'm sorry if you thought of it as old fart, I didn't mean it that way.

I like how small that hinoki is. I'm starting to appreciate smaller blades lately. They feel more compact yet lighter and easier to maneuver.

Yes, more pics please of your equipment. They all look great.

I took no offense! Yes LOL or as I like LOLOL

I was joking about old fart etc and added LOL but added one extra O

Will post pics next week when have more time

Thank you fi6r your kind words!

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Hey guys, so after taking the advice of many fellow penholders on rpb grip (and failing) , I finally went back to my almost flat mid and ring finger type of a grip today. And it clicked. Looping, punching and blocking to both sides of the table, with all sorts of angles. It was so fun today. Thank you all.