Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Yeah. Penhold is far more specific than I initially thought. I simply watched WH in the 2012 Olympics and thought, that's what I want to do. I started playing learning rpb, but all the ph'ers I know are TPB. TPB is super cool given its place in TT history. I'm certainly far more inspired by the penholders on this forum than otherwise. We get very specific and enjoy being slightly different. I don't think I would care for the usual equipment ej talk, but the technical talk as lead by osp keeps me coming back.

Deeply honored Sir! But I think the others are way more technical than I will ever be. At least in describing specific things. I'm a simple man really, i pick up a racket, slap on a rubber and hit ... i either like it or not, i see the effects it has on my strokes/game and i cannot get into specifics like 'dwell time', 'pitch', "off", "def", etc.

I'm a dinosaur, but agree with JL that this thread/forum has inspired me to try to learn RPB. Via learning RPB, I went the SH BH route and learnt a little SH. Also, ages ago although I started with Mark V, i gravitated toward tacky rubbers and swore by them. Started playing TT again 2 or 3 yrs ago and now I find I'm ok with tensor rubbers and probably have given up on tacky.

Thank you all on this thread and forum in inspiring an old dog in learning new tricks!

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
For further context on some of OSPH's claims below you can refer to the penultimate line in his signature ...

"My Ego is my Enemy."
Deeply honored Sir! But I think the others are way more technical than I will ever be. At least in describing specific things. I'm a simple man really, i pick up a racket, slap on a rubber and hit ... i either like it or not, i see the effects it has on my strokes/game and i cannot get into specifics like 'dwell time', 'pitch', "off", "def", etc.

I'm a dinosaur, but agree with JL that this thread/forum has inspired me to try to learn RPB. Via learning RPB, I went the SH BH route and learnt a little SH. Also, ages ago although I started with Mark V, i gravitated toward tacky rubbers and swore by them. Started playing TT again 2 or 3 yrs ago and now I find I'm ok with tensor rubbers and probably have given up on tacky.

Thank you all on this thread and forum in inspiring an old dog in learning new tricks!

Also, I'm looking to upgrade my blade. Having tried and owned a few blades, I've realised that I prefer flex and hardness over stiffness and softness. Basically I want Off speed 5 ply hard outer some flex and lightweight. As far as I can tell that pretty much means stiga intensity NCT. But it is a more expensive MEO clone. My only concern is MEO's weight. Do you find 85g to be too heavy? I use fairly heavy rubbers. How do you deal with tendonitis as an rpb'er? If you know of any alternative blades that would also be awesome!

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
Also, I'm looking to upgrade my blade. Having tried and owned a few blades, I've realised that I prefer flex and hardness over stiffness and softness. Basically I want Off speed 5 ply hard outer some flex and lightweight. As far as I can tell that pretty much means stiga intensity NCT. But it is a more expensive MEO clone. My only concern is MEO's weight. Do you find 85g to be too heavy? I use fairly heavy rubbers. How do you deal with tendonitis as an rpb'er? If you know of any alternative blades that would also be awesome!

85g would be my absolute upper limit for a penhold blade (in shakehand, it was more around 90-95g). And did you think of Stiga Offensive CR ? 5 plys, hard outer ply, flexy, and I'd say quite lightweight. It looks exactly like what you're looking for.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
One of my mantras:

"Progress not perfection."
~Denzel Washington as Robert McCall / The Equalizer (2014)

Progress report:

1. In ~6 months of somewhat serious SH BH hitting and then RPB hitting, i have made progress in the stroke itself. May not be picture pefect form, but i've come a long way since my muscle memory is TPB ... what i need to work on is to override my muscle memory and use RPB instead of TPB. The stroke seems ok enough for now. My RPB block/punch still needs work though. Will start to RPB spin very soon.

2. Only a few weeks of FH looping where i am close to the table and using shorter strokes. There was s disconnect in my thinking. I'm a close to the table player and yet when I FH looped in practice i took 1 to 3 steps away from the table. I am ok now in that i stay close to the table. What i need to work on is to meet the ball even sooner. I am still waiting for the ball to drop despite being close to the table.

3. Am getting used to the Tenergy FX-80 on blocks. Nice low trajectory and can block somewhat consistently some power shots. Coming from a tacky rubber guy, it took some getting used to the bounciness of the tensor rubbers.

4. Have not worked serves. With the tensor rubber, I cannot serve. Or perhaps more correctly stated, I still cannot serve/disguise no spin well, as well as close to pure downspin... still have some sidespin on my pendulum downspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016

JL,

IDK how much the American Hinoki with 2 Tenergy FX-80 weighs as I got it as a prize from NextLevel's contest 2 yrs ago and I have nothing to weigh it accurately.

With the smaller paddle size though and the hinoki wood, I am able to try to play RPB. Prior this setup, an obstacle for me to learn RPB was that my wrist felt discomfort/pain after hitting with my regular blades with 2 inverted on.

Luckily so far, I have felt no wrist discomfort/pain.

Yeah my first blade was 85 and it was a strain. Rubbers seem to make the most difference though. Stiga OC is a tad slow IMO feels like all+ to off-. I've decided to stick with MEO and soften my bh to compensate for weight. My wrist is getting stronger after all. My current setup is 173g a tad heavy I reckon even with the +4g blade weight I can shave off 5. At one point I was playing with a 160 setup! Rpb makes you strong, and sore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
hit for 2 hrs straight, was tired and ready to go home. worked with my regular partner, P, and we warmed up FH to FH, i also worked in my short stroke close to the table loop. Then we served and volleyed. i suggested to him that after the serve to try a controlled slow spinny loop... yeah it will be high, but with spin, it may not be as easy to hit. something that Der_Echte taught me, that i still can't quite get consistent, i rush myself and my shots explained to P that with his fast loop drives, which many missed, he may as well try this. at least get the 3rd ball to land. and after a bit, he understood what i was saying.

"Mommy" hit with me and after a bit, she served sidedown/down to me, i 2nd ball looped. made a little progress. but not steady yet. i tried to slow my stroke down but muscle memory took over and it was faster stroke.

about to go home. so tired.

a member took the table next and looking for a partner, my friend/clubmate "Mommy" egged me on to hit with him. she knew i was fatigued.

have 2 raw videos hitting with this last partner ... we had already been hitting for a few minutes before i thought to ask if i may video us. i have a lot to work on. i flat hit, i looped a little, i fh blocked. won't comment other than i was pretty tired already. we hit for 30 mins.

---------

for new members on this thread, i'm in black

https://youtu.be/y9ELQvj4xSQ

https://youtu.be/YmJ2ytiYX8Y

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I haven't got the chance to see the complete videos , just saw the first few minutes of the first video , here is an idea ... may be you want to take the ball earlier in the block , that should move your timing forward for loops ... I somehow feel that you are letting the ball come too much into your zone and almost bringing the ball back from the dead in your blocks , I will suggest try taking it earlier.. the form looks absolutely fine to me... hoping it will help you with your timing for close to the table loops

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I haven't got the chance to see the complete videos , just saw the first few minutes of the first video , here is an idea ... may be you want to take the ball earlier in the block , that should move your timing forward for loops ... I somehow feel that you are letting the ball come too much into your zone and almost bringing the ball back from the dead in your blocks , I will suggest try taking it earlier.. the form looks absolutely fine to me... hoping it will help you with your timing for close to the table loops

Thank you monster!

Still working on taking the ball earlier. My form actually isn't proper/efficient ... also working on that - missing core rotation as well as periodic flying elbow. I jedi mind trick myself LOL

Thank you again monster!!

EDIT: in 2nd vid ~1:27-1:30 / 1:51-1:53 / 2:22-2:29 - self-talk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
You are welcome anytime !
I think the point is also to have optimal amount of core rotation like everything else ... , there isn't going to be as much core rotation possible if you are standing close to the table , its going to be more of a small snap from the waist , correctly timed ... with the rubbers you are using ... I would think if you can take the ball early enough and snap from the forearm you will get plenty of spin !
Thank you monster!

Still working on taking the ball earlier. My form actually isn't proper/efficient ... also working on that - missing core rotation as well as periodic flying elbow. I jedi mind trick myself LOL

Thank you again monster!!

EDIT: in 2nd vid ~1:27-1:30 / 1:51-1:53 / 2:22-2:29 - self-talk

This user has no status.
Just a few videos of my practice this month, I figure I'll post occasionally to document my progress. I've been working on the tips der_echte provided for my forehand, and feel it's already getting a little better. Also a second video of my rpb although not from the best angle, I basically self learned this and haven't put alot of effort into improving it lately.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thank you for sharing your videos Sir. I'm not the best to give advice on FH loop and RPB as I'm relearning the modern FH loop compared to my dinosaur stroke as well as slowly learning the RPB on my own.

Hope the others will chime in. Thank you!

Just a few videos of my practice this month, I figure I'll post occasionally to document my progress. I've been working on the tips der_echte provided for my forehand, and feel it's already getting a little better. Also a second video of my rpb although not from the best angle, I basically self learned this and haven't put alot of effort into improving it lately.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016

The camera angles aren't very good, so it's hard to judge. I'd recommend a front view that's not too high

Your RPB looks like a Wong Chun Ting style RPB, which I use to do (I'm currently trying to raise my elbow as an experiment). I can't really see what your are doing though, but I can see that you can hit the ball with some force, so that's great.

As for your forehand, it seems that your body (especially your head) goes from left to right a lot (a little too much).

Also, it seems like you don't get to use your forearm very much. NextLevel has a good few words about forearm snap, which you probably should look for. It's pretty necessary for putting more spin on the ball.

If you are just starting out, not bad. If you've been playing like this for a while, I think you should stop locking your elbow in place. Restricting your elbow is good for learning, since it stops some bad technique from happening, but in the long run, once you kind of know what you are doing, restricting your own movement isn't too great.

This user has no status.
The camera angles aren't very good, so it's hard to judge. I'd recommend a front view that's not too high

Your RPB looks like a Wong Chun Ting style RPB, which I use to do (I'm currently trying to raise my elbow as an experiment). I can't really see what your are doing though, but I can see that you can hit the ball with some force, so that's great.

As for your forehand, it seems that your body (especially your head) goes from left to right a lot (a little too much).

Also, it seems like you don't get to use your forearm very much. NextLevel has a good few words about forearm snap, which you probably should look for. It's pretty necessary for putting more spin on the ball.

If you are just starting out, not bad. If you've been playing like this for a while, I think you should stop locking your elbow in place. Restricting your elbow is good for learning, since it stops some bad technique from happening, but in the long run, once you kind of know what you are doing, restricting your own movement isn't too great.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah I will try other camera angles next time. I am definitely aware of the forearm, in fact I am specifically trying to use it more! Seems like I am just naturally stiff in the upper body. I think I flail my body around too much to try to compensate for lack of power because I am not accelerating/snapping enough or at the right timing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Try to do the exercise Carl has showed in a lot of places , shadow practicing the form in front of a mirror ... that should help ... IMO...
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I will try other camera angles next time. I am definitely aware of the forearm, in fact I am specifically trying to use it more! Seems like I am just naturally stiff in the upper body. I think I flail my body around too much to try to compensate for lack of power because I am not accelerating/snapping enough or at the right timing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Ran our annual tournament 10 days ago. It went well but I played just average at best. Nothing like putting in a 12 hour day to only play 3 singles matches. ;) Won 1. Lost 2.

That day I don't know if it was tournament nerves or being worn down from running around all day from directing the tournament but I felt like my FH was off... Hard to win as a penholder when that happens.

Oh well. Onto the exciting stuff.

Because singles went so poorly for me, in doubles, I played short pips on the FH and my partner and I did pretty good. I played much better.

That being the case, last Sunday I brought my good ole clipper out this time with SPs on the FH side and LPs on the backhand side, twiddling when necessary. Home sweet home. Just played so well. It's still about making people uncomfortable. Vs some players, I play a lot of LPs because they can't handle it. And vs others, they arn't effected as much by it of which I'll play mostly SP traditional play.

But played my training partner, who i haven't beat in over a year, in a singles match and lost 3-2. Close one but it was encouraging to feel like I'm close. I'll keep at it and try to get some video this Sunday to upload.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Ran our annual tournament 10 days ago. It went well but I played just average at best. Nothing like putting in a 12 hour day to only play 3 singles matches. ;) Won 1. Lost 2.

A lot of work to do, you still seem to do well with 1 win despite the circumstances! Congrats on what sounds like a successful tournament as well as the win!

Close one but it was encouraging to feel like I'm close. I'll keep at it and try to get some video this Sunday to upload.

Keep doing the do!

Reactions: suds79