Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
By "TPB" you mean traditional penhold backhand, as in an actual backhand stroke (opposite of FH stroke) or do you mean a block or a 'punch' (aka "push-block")?
I was referring to using the forehand side for any backhand stroke, but mostly the block and punch. As for strategy, a good placement game is a nice thing to have indeed.

I don't understand this part.
Was just saying, I suck at this serve:
ho_tin_tin_31_07_14_large.jpg
So in order to get the same kinda spin, I do this reverse pendulum serve instead, which is easier for someone who plays RPB, as it's a very similar wrist motion.
Img268754925.jpg

Ages ago, i started off as PH pips. After maybe a year, frustrated i couldn't get a BH smash, i went to inverted and have been playing that for sometime

well, for a RPB player that problem is kinda mitigated. Anyways, I consider short pips smashing style still a good training on my timing, which tends to be late, and some opponents just roll over and surrender when they see pips :)

I don't have a good source yet. But you can start with watching some of these vids on member suds79's playlist ... all PH twiddlers. I started watching this playlist.

Also, I made this video of me twiddling... only my 2nd time trying to twiddle... at the time of making this video, i didn't really watch other twiddlers. With brief experimentation, this seems to work for me, using my middle finger to facilitate the twiddling.

As the blade is pointing downward, gravity is helping. Didn't try to twiddle since the video. Will watch more of PH twiddlers in action first. At some point, will see if i can twiddle with the blade horizontal instead of vertical. This will be challenging.
I've been twiddling the other way..., and it only works on the reverse pendulum serve. Gotta try this way with the regular pendulum serve.

found this vid:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODYwNTM1MTY=.html

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Too tired to read through everything, But that Qiu Dang seemed interesting, first time I heard about him...
Anyway, I'm a "modern" penholder, with RPB, I do like to step over a lot, more Like Xu Xin than Wong CT to put it that way (although can't really be compared...), despite that I use MX-P fh + Acuda Blue P2 bh (on a HH III), after a lot of testing/changing/mixing over a couple years. I've decided to stick with this.
which is closer to Wong CT equipment wise. (he don't use that tacky fh :v).
I do however most often use Traditional penhold to recover shots before I either transition.. or step over. Depending.
I like sidespin. I like lob. I like heavy top spin. And I like killers down the line... that sometimes gets blocked back. :(
Well that's me.

I have played a bit in a club, and I have ranked decently in "club competitions" (which was a pretty decent club, Norway-wise), but never participated in actual competitions. Now I go to university, and am the head of the TT club there. :rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
As for strategy, a good placement game is a nice thing to have indeed.

agreed!

Was just saying, I suck at this serve:
View attachment 11155
So in order to get the same kinda spin, I do this reverse pendulum serve instead, which is easier for someone who plays RPB, as it's a very similar wrist motion.
View attachment 11156

Ah ok, i gotcha now. when younger, there was no RPB, so i got ok with that serve because I played in a League which had 2 doubles matches and 9 singles. Using that serve, i afforded my partner the most room and best look he can get from the 2nd ball.

and some opponents just roll over and surrender when they see pips :)

LOLOL

I've been twiddling the other way..., and it only works on the reverse pendulum serve. Gotta try this way with the regular pendulum serve.

found this vid:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XODYwNTM1MTY=.html

interesting, thank you 101010 !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Welcome Kaizoku!

Anyway, I'm a "modern" penholder, with RPB, I do like to step over a lot, more Like Xu Xin than Wong CT to put it that way (although can't really be compared...), despite that I use MX-P fh + Acuda Blue P2 bh (on a HH III), after a lot of testing/changing/mixing over a couple years. I've decided to stick with this.
which is closer to Wong CT equipment wise. (he don't use that tacky fh :v).

Re: tackiness/MX-P ... it was very interesting for me in the a little over a year plus coming back to TT after a 30+ yrs hiatus ... i've tried a few different rubbers and didn't really find one that was close to my game from way back when i used Friendship 729.

about 4 months ago, i tried a DHS H3 and was in love! this tacky rubber was very similar to what i was used to. my game starting coming back. however, a friend mentioned that chinese rubbers, i'm doing too much work. at first i didn't understand. a month ago, i tried a MX-P and i understand the comment now. despite non-tackiness, i am able to generate the spin i did with the tacky rubber. and on my blocks, i found that i didn't have to 'do too much work' ... the MX-P does most of the work! i think i will be playing with MX-P for a long time :)

I do however most often use Traditional penhold to recover shots before I either transition.. or step over. Depending.
I like sidespin. I like lob. I like heavy top spin. And I like killers down the line... that sometimes gets blocked back. :(
Well that's me.

Very interesting that you like to lob! i don't like to lob, but if forced to, i will lob, but generally because i play close to the table, i don't lob much.

I have played a bit in a club, and I have ranked decently in "club competitions" (which was a pretty decent club, Norway-wise), but never participated in actual competitions. Now I go to university, and am the head of the TT club there. :rolleyes:

Ah very cool you are the head of your uni's TT club... you should get a lot of practice/experience then!

Thank you Kaizoku!

Reactions: Kaizoku

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I switched over to penhold after a 12 year break because I couldn't do anything with HS. On Monday I Started to learn rpb loop, it's very taxing to lift backspin but it's very fun.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I switched over to penhold after a 12 year break because I couldn't do anything with HS. On Monday I Started to learn rpb loop, it's very taxing to lift backspin but it's very fun.

Very cool mky! RPB is challenging for me, i think i may have carpal tunnel syndrome after 30+ yrs typing on computer keyboards, so for now i've not embraced the modern PH style and stuck to the oldschool 1-sided play

Thank you mky !

Reactions: mky

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Very cool mky! RPB is challenging for me, i think i may have carpal tunnel syndrome after 30+ yrs typing on computer keyboards, so for now i've not embraced the modern PH style and stuck to the oldschool 1-sided play

Thank you mky!

I sit on the computer a lot as well and stretching my wrists daily really helps.

Last edited:
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Thanks for the welcome! And yeah, that's how I feel too, just that I never really went down the path of tackiness, appart from trying it a couple times and then figuring out no... I'd rather get a good euro/jap fh rubber.
Speaking of stretches I do have a slight tennis elbow problem that comes and goes... so I need to play moderately.
I see the point in "taxing to lift backspin" I personally never "lift" backspin with RPB... unless it's training or a backspin I feel confident to flick over. I always cut or fh step over loops them... I'm not advanced enough on RPB to make lifting backspin worth it. + as you mentioned, it's taxing to repeatedly execute.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Thanks for the welcome! And yeah, that's how I feel too, just that I never really went down the path of tackiness, appart from trying it a couple times and then figuring out no... I'd rather get a good euro/jap fh rubber.

I tried a euro rubber before and it was way too fast for my game ... balls flew off rubber! At the time I was so happy to use the tacky rubber as my game was coming back

Lol

mky

This user has no status.

mky

This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Speaking of stretches I do have a slight tennis elbow problem that comes and goes... so I need to play moderately.
I see the point in "taxing to lift backspin" I personally never "lift" backspin with RPB... unless it's training or a backspin I feel confident to flick over. I always cut or fh step over loops them... I'm not advanced enough on RPB to make lifting backspin worth it. + as you mentioned, it's taxing to repeatedly execute.

I am by no means advance or good but it was a coaching lesson. The aim of the lesson was to have your partner push short then long which you meant to loop back to him. I was ok at FH, but it was the first time looping with my BH and felt that I have to put in a lot of effort to execute the stroke.

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
"euro" rubbers is a wide term... you can find slow euro rubbers... Though rubbers like Donic bluefire JP 01-Turbo (or M1-Turbo for that sakes), which was among the once I tried, the catapult effect was too strong for me... probably something like that you had issues with as well. MX-P is more linear in speed increase, not extreme catapult. I did however really like Adidas Tenzone Ultra... which was to me, like a less spinny MX-P, better at blocks but not as spinny on spinny shots/loops. Possibly slightly faster but still linear speed increase.
A shame that Adidas quit... P7 was also nothing like the regular euro rubbers...

We've talked about pimples play and RBP, have you guys checked out Tin Tin Ho? she's British ranked 1 or 2 and under 20 I think. She has an awesome modern style. She plays SP forehand aggressively and a medium European inverted for rpb. She serves with the inverted then twiddles.

I am strongly in favour of tacky rubbers for fh. they require more effort and are certainly slower, but I don't think much slower than the non-tensor non-tacky I have on my bh. so much spin though. I rely heavily on my serves, because I can practice them at home and penhold + tacky is the best for serving. I'd love to have a tacky on my rpb too having tried it, but there are no light weight tackies worth it. Has anyone tried the newer hybrid chinese/euro rubbers? like yinhe big dipper, xiom tau or stiga genesis?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
as a fairly beginner kinda player, I'd like to ask for advice on my grip. I tend to grip the bat real tight, as in both index finger joints are on the board (pic below). That way, the (somewhat heavy) bat doesn't feel like flying away everytime I do a bigger swing, and backhand strokes are easier to execute. BUT, the ball hits my thumb a lot. And my fingers on the BH side, which take up half the rubber.

IMG_20161029_001822[1].jpg

I've been trying to use a looser grip, with the second index finger joint not on the blade. I get more acceleration out of this grip, the ball hits my fingers less, but it's hard to control the racket that way.

IMG_20161029_001803[1].jpg

Which grip should I stick to? Or am I supposed to switch between both finger positions in whatever certain situations?
For reference, fingers on the back with the first kinda grip.

IMG_20160709_152957[1].jpgIMG_20160709_152954[1].jpg

Thanks in advance!

Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
as a fairly beginner kinda player, I'd like to ask for advice on my grip. I tend to grip the bat real tight, as in both index finger joints are on the board (pic below). That way, the (somewhat heavy) bat doesn't feel like flying away everytime I do a bigger swing, and backhand strokes are easier to execute. BUT, the ball hits my thumb a lot. And my fingers on the BH side, which take up half the rubber.

View attachment 11173

I've been trying to use a looser grip, with the second index finger joint not on the blade. I get more acceleration out of this grip, the ball hits my fingers less, but it's hard to control the racket that way.

View attachment 11174

Which grip should I stick to? Or am I supposed to switch between both finger positions in whatever certain situations?

View attachment 11175View attachment 11176

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend following Wang Hao's advice on grip. The index finger ought to rest, it's not to be wrapped around tightly (as in your first picture) meanwhile thumb is in pressure. Meanwhile when you transition to rpb, you're supposed to tighten the index finger grip somehow.

Also, while I'm at it. Wang Hao does in fact only use two fingers to touch the bh rubber (third being close) I tend to use all three, and when I try just two it feels weird. I can still Rpb with three... Is the only pro to Wang Hao's version that two fingers take up less space on the bh rubber? or is there more to it?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I have a question: why does many penhold players just cut their FH-rubber down? Why not the bh-rubber too?

I do both. I don't see why not. It makes it a little lighter. It's probably because of the issue of balance and center of mass, but I feel like it helps instead of making it worse.

View attachment 11173

View attachment 11174

Thanks in advance!

If you are going to RPB, then you should use the tighter grip. If the problem is that the ball has been hitting your fingers, more practice will make that go away. After all, the ball shouldn't be hitting so close to the handle.

View attachment 11173

View attachment 11174

Thanks in advance!

the grip changes based on the shot you are making. Having the fingers closer to the handle gives more control and gives more room for rpb. Furthermore, for FH you should be tightening and driving with your thumb. I have just middle and ring finger touching on BH side and this is at a corresponding point with my thumb giving added stability. For TPB, the thumb comes off/just rests, so the bh fingers have to extend to compensate and you hold it with your pointy finger and straight middle and ring fingers. On RPB, I think it depends a lot on your setup. mine has a medium low throw, so even though I agree with Wang Hao that ideally you tighten your pointy finger and use the thumb for stability, this is only fully viable against no spin or topspin, as tightening the pointy finger closes the face of the racket. Against backspin, I have to press with my thumb primarily to open the face of the racket.

Specifically with your grip, I think how far your thumb is extended is fine, and the ball will hit your thumb less with practice. but the pointy finger should probably be less relaxed. it doesn't need to do much except on bh. Also, your setup is really heavy for penhold. I would suggest changing the bh rubber to something lighter and softer.