Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
It's not dying. It's rest/sleeping, waiting for the awakening. :)

I was wondering if RPB could be a reason for penhold style to "come back". I often read that less and less children are trained to learn penhold in China, because it usually takes more time to learn (1 or 2 years in difference to reach the same fully developed technique between shakehand and penhold players). I'm thinking that RPB could make penhold backhand easier and faster to learn for newcomers, and coaches may be more inclined to teach this style again... so as this technique became more famous and proved to be efficient at world class level mainly since Wang Hao (and now Xu Xin or Wong Chun Ting), this trend could maybe be already seen amoung young chinese player those days?

What do you think?

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
It's not. RBP seems be hard to learn and only excepionally talented and dedicated athletes can bring it to a competitive level.
With the same time and effort, they could have progressed better on shakehand techniques, that's what all chinese coaches and even top penholders say.

From my limited experience RBP is kinda easier to learn, if you're coming from shakehand. Some kid in my club intuitively went for PH grip, but can't even come close to RBP yet. Maybe she needs to get taller first, I dunno.

I think you should play ph if you enjoy it more, or if it feels more natural. I enjoy them the same, but find it very difficult to perform fh on sh, so play ph. I learned rpb straight away, and it's better than my fh. Recently had a go with v grip. Potentially even greater spin than ph. Anyone ever met a v gripper?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Have anyone notice that since the speed glue ban PHs are slowly declining?

LOL. I just tried doing the V grip while ball walling, the wrist movement is very limited. But your right James, it has some potential for good spin plays. I find it hard to generate some power though. The V grip in my opinion can be a lethal weapon for close table combat. But I'll still stick with the PH, it's my wrist shots where I make points.

I'd love to see or even play with a V gripper.

This user has no status.
Have anyone notice that since the speed glue ban PHs are slowly declining?
I believe speed glue ban brought longer rallies (even more now with P-balls), and therefore need for even smoother forehand-backhand transition and more power even away from the table... which might be a weak point at pro level for penholders, except for some exceptional athletes.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Hey ! here's kinda "fresh" modern cpen style player. I start play TT when i was 7y o(train 5 days a week), every 3 month i had a camp when we trained for 6 days a week(twice a day ;)). But i stopped at 14 yo. Now im back to the sport after 12 years break.Trying to get back my form heh. The idea to switch to PH comes from nowhere, i ask my friends to give me a racket, but it was only with 1 rubber(in a one side). So i decided to play it for fun at once. But i remember, when i saw a Wanghao match on VHS in early 2000 it was really amazing and "strange" way to play at same time, since i play shakehand and never saw anyone who play PH. So probably switching from shakehand to PH was a matter of time for me and some sort of desire. So, since august this year i try to play PH more often, but ofc playing shakehand sometimes.
sorry for bad english, isnt my naitive language.
peace!

Welcome to TTD and this PH thread fcvyy!

Wow! 7 yrs of almost non-stop play/dedicatee training!

I played when i was much younger, but unlike you, did not have a good foundation and dedicated training. Came back to TT a year ago after a 30+ yrs absence LOL

You should have a good foundation. Hope your transition is smooth-enough and fun after your 14 yrs absence!

Reactions: violoniste18
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Recently had a go with v grip. Potentially even greater spin than ph. Anyone ever met a v gripper?

Interesting! I have never tried playing the V-grip seriously. In the past, i recall trying the v-grip 'BH loop' and found it easier than traditional SH BH loop for me. May try it at some point again, but I have all kinds of mental issues trying to regain my game now LOL. So I don't want to add in a new style yet.

At my club, there's an older gentleman that is a v-gripper. He is a steady blocker and can have vicious FH smashes. Only played him twice, lost 3-2 and 3-1. Now that you mention it, i think i had trouble with some of his serves. Will keep in mind if I get to play him again.

I legitimately have no idea about proper technique with the grip but play it with one side for fh and bh loop and the other side for short game and serve. I just serve penhold then move my ring finger to grip and flip my thumb over. I think when I get a decent blade I'll make my current blade a v grip setup. Kinda want hard tackies on both sides actually...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hello:

Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD? I know of a few already (JeffM, Liten, suds79) , not sure if site has a create thread/poll option... didn't think i see it.

Are you a modern penholder? Are you a JPen player? Is there a RPB for JPen?

Or are you like me an oldschool one-sided CPen penholder?

Me: I am currently using MX-P on my FH, will add a LP Ox to my BH soon, more for weight and protect the racket than actually using the LP in play. My whole game is one-sided oldschool PH (FH smashes, sucky FH loops, FH blocks, BH blocks, no BH smashes and use a BH punch (aka 'push-block'). At some point, may try to use the LP and/or add short pips - but my concern is that the added short pips is too heavy for my liking.

Also, seems like PH is dying out on the world-class level. Recent Ask the Pro video, Wong Chun Ting said PH is dying out. SO wanted to check out on the non-world-class level how many PH are on here :)

Thank you in advance.

Next :)
I am a RPB with JPen. I use one ply hinoki.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
My problem with TPB is that before I learned to play with RPB my opponents already know what I'm going to do when they attack on my backhand side (either smash or punch). But when I learned RPB (from youtube) it caught my opponents off-guard and most of the time an instant point for me. RPB adds a little flavor to the PH game, I say. Although I still use TPB for blocking and punching.
If you watch Ma Lin VS Wang Hao, you notice Ma Lin did RPB as well as TPB. You never know when he switch. That's the beauty of it.
With TPB, you can block, power push, side spin chop. With RPB Ma Lin can also punch and loop. The combination of all five techniques allow a very rapid change in rhythm, speed and spin. This gives him a huge advantage over Wang Hao who is actually stronger and faster.

I don't see TPB as weak. If you use it right in combination with RPB, you can beat players that are much faster and stronger than you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
This is kind of hard to do for my part as I have 10mm thick blade with big handle, so what I did is try loosen up my index finger and put most of the pressure on my fingers on the RPB side and clip it with my thumb. But incase I wanted some power then I tighten the grip of my index finger. I'm still getting used to it because before I learned RPB I used to extend all my 3 fingers at the backside of the paddle (I still find myself do this sometimes in the middle of the game, damn instincts).
Hi Grenrel001, good to see another JPEN player doing RPB.

I have done some modifications to my Darker Speed 90. I have glue a small piece of rubber on the places where I rest my thumb and index finger. That makes me feel a lot more comfortable. The grip is also stronger when doing RPB.

I will take some photos tonight to show you.

Another way to improve RPB and to buy an iron TT blade (widely available in China for $10). That's what my friend used to practice with in Chinese provincial team. The blade weighs 800g. If you practice with it you can do much more swift RPB.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
recently, I changed the position on my thumb during reverse backhand. The chinese coach at my club told to me the thumb should be more advanced towards the first finger.

I did it and it's great, now I play only rpb, it's far better so.
Thanks for the tip. I will try that out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Welcome to TTD and this PH thread fcvyy!

Wow! 7 yrs of almost non-stop play/dedicatee training!

I played when i was much younger, but unlike you, did not have a good foundation and dedicated training. Came back to TT a year ago after a 30+ yrs absence LOL

You should have a good foundation. Hope your transition is smooth-enough and fun after your 14 yrs absence!

Thank you! Yeah, my "transition" <transition> going kinda ok.For now, i only play for 2 days a week, with a non-pro ppl, who just like TT. Today i got my new cpen blade, gonna try it soon, cant wait for it^^. and probably i will pick camera and record some of my practice. 30years is a serious "time-out" hehe</transition>

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Hi Grenrel001, good to see another JPEN player doing RPB.

I have done some modifications to my Darker Speed 90. I have glue a small piece of rubber on the places where I rest my thumb and index finger. That makes me feel a lot more comfortable. The grip is also stronger when doing RPB.

I will take some photos tonight to show you.

Another way to improve RPB and to buy an iron TT blade (widely available in China for $10). That's what my friend used to practice with in Chinese provincial team. The blade weighs 800g. If you practice with it you can do much more swift RPB.

I'm sorry SFF but I don't play with a JPEN blade. I play with CPEN 10mm thick (yup! you heard it right) Dr. Neubauer Firewall plus (my photo). Though I'm thinking of purchasing a JPEN for speed upgrade as I find it uncomfortable playing with other CPEN due to different thickness of blade. While I'm at it can you suggest me JPEN blades that are fast and RPB ready but cost lesser than USD100. I have Nittaku Miyabi, Xiom Power Hinoki and BBC custom JPEN in my mind. I might treat myself this Christmas. :p

Yes. I would like to see a photo of how you did it.

I think I'll pass I'm a wristy player and I think by that weight it might injure my wrist. But that seem pretty interesting though.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
If you watch Ma Lin VS Wang Hao, you notice Ma Lin did RPB as well as TPB. You never know when he switch. That's the beauty of it.
With TPB, you can block, power push, side spin chop. With RPB Ma Lin can also punch and loop. The combination of all five techniques allow a very rapid change in rhythm, speed and spin. This gives him a huge advantage over Wang Hao who is actually stronger and faster.

I don't see TPB as weak. If you use it right in combination with RPB, you can beat players that are much faster and stronger than you.

That was actually epic. What amazes me is how they can loop on TPB especially Ryu Seung Min, it's just amazing I don't think I can do it without breaking my wrist. LOL.

Those who say TPB is weak haven't seen Ryu Seung Min before. That guy for me is the all time best.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
That was actually epic. What amazes me is how they can loop on TPB especially Ryu Seung Min, it's just amazing I don't think I can do it without breaking my wrist. LOL.

Those who say TPB is weak haven't seen Ryu Seung Min before. That guy for me is the all time best.

Like you said RSM RPB can be very powerful. But that requires the power of single ply hinoki which I have luckily.

We have two people playing JPen RPB in our local club (incl myself). The advantage is that JPen provides a strong grip therefore you don't lose much power when looping with RPB.

Last edited: