Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Great match, dynamic CPEN! Thank you for the video!

Interesting on his grip. Watching at work, meaning I should not be watching LOL, it seems his grip has somewhat extended fingers. At 1:52 we see his grip. He RPBs occasionally and lots of TPB. Wonder if he switches grip for TPB. I for one could NOT TPB with the extended fingers grip.

My friend at club plays like him. His 3 fingers spread out on the back side.

The TPB uses a lot of forearm swing just like SH. Mostly hitting, no brushing. That’s why the bh push is so powerful.

This old guy used to be in the CNT. At this age his BH is still as powerful as many SH young players.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
My friend at club plays like him. His 3 fingers spread out on the back side.

The TPB uses a lot of forearm swing just like SH. Mostly hitting, no brushing. That’s why the bh push is so powerful.

This old guy used to be in the CNT. At this age his BH is still as powerful as many SH young players.

Perhaps the extended fingers grip is awkward for me because my TPB "punch" (i learnt it being called "push-block" as in pushing something and not TT pushing which the downspin short game) was taught with the thumb doing like snapping your fingers motion. The thumb "snapping" angles the racket down. And it sounds like your "forearm swing just like SH" is a little different than what i was taught. My punch was a piston-like forward motion of my forearm.

I am at work and cannot find a video to describe what i wrote. Perhaps we are talking about the same motions?

Wow at this old buy being former CNT! Don't recall seeing his name, or at least in English. Do you know it? Thank you in advance if you do.

p.s. I have old man memory, and haven't been on here maybe 2 years. Did you switch from PH to SH? Vaguely recall that you mentioned that earlier in the thread. If so, how is your SH compared to your PH? And if i am wrong, my apologies!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Perhaps the extended fingers grip is awkward for me because my TPB "punch" (i learnt it being called "push-block" as in pushing something and not TT pushing which the downspin short game) was taught with the thumb doing like snapping your fingers motion. The thumb "snapping" angles the racket down. And it sounds like your "forearm swing just like SH" is a little different than what i was taught. My punch was a piston-like forward motion of my forearm.

I am at work and cannot find a video to describe what i wrote. Perhaps we are talking about the same motions?

Wow at this old buy being former CNT! Don't recall seeing his name, or at least in English. Do you know it? Thank you in advance if you do.

p.s. I have old man memory, and haven't been on here maybe 2 years. Did you switch from PH to SH? Vaguely recall that you mentioned that earlier in the thread. If so, how is your SH compared to your PH? And if i am wrong, my apologies!

Yeah I am playing SH w968 now. My index finger got injured too often while playing PH. I still play PH for fun. I can't play two sided anymore as my fingers aren't strong enough and get injured all the time.

When I found this match I was surprised by his powerful BH push. I would like to practice his type of penhold BH push with my Jpen which is nice and fast.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hello fellow penholders! How are all of you doing?

Currently got back to T.T. and back to one sided chinese penhold (My comfort zone).
Was on JPEN but felt that it was too demanding, and RPB feels awkward no matter how long & hard I train. 😄

Wanted to ask, do you all sometimes feel frustrated with inconsistencies with handle sizes?
ie. The Harimoto's innerforce (are comfortable for me) but the innerforce layer series ones are a little smaller?
Stiga's Carbonados a little more sqaure while the Intensity (Comfortable for me) are slightly more rounded?
I like the Yasaka YEO J.T.T.A. versions too.

Anyone know what handle types are the Penhold Cybershapes similar to?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hello fellow penholders! How are all of you doing?

Currently got back to T.T. and back to one sided chinese penhold (My comfort zone).
Was on JPEN but felt that it was too demanding, and RPB feels awkward no matter how long & hard I train. [emoji1]

Wanted to ask, do you all sometimes feel frustrated with inconsistencies with handle sizes?
ie. The Harimoto's innerforce (are comfortable for me) but the innerforce layer series ones are a little smaller?
Stiga's Carbonados a little more sqaure while the Intensity (Comfortable for me) are slightly more rounded?
I like the Yasaka YEO J.T.T.A. versions too.

Anyone know what handle types are the Penhold Cybershapes similar to?

Take a look this guy

https://youtu.be/hMGJCctFoyk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018

Thank you SFF. This looks more like a Carbonado type of handle.
Video owner mentioned it's a little faster than the Dynasty Carbon. :O

Sounds like too fast for me. Will wait for one of our Penholder reviews!

says former JPEN, now CPEN
Aug 2019
earlier i accidentally made my rubber detach from my cpen blade, so i went back to jpen for a day.

wondering if i should try out slightly softer rubbers for jpen (about 45-46 rather than the usual 47). fastarc g-1 is pretty hard to do topspin on softer slower strokes. my jpen blade feels like its more on the harder side too, so maybe a soft rubber would suit it. any thoughts or recommendations?

jpen is still fun as heck, one shot one kill playstyle that cpen cant really give you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
earlier i accidentally made my rubber detach from my cpen blade, so i went back to jpen for a day.

wondering if i should try out slightly softer rubbers for jpen (about 45-46 rather than the usual 47). fastarc g-1 is pretty hard to do topspin on softer slower strokes. my jpen blade feels like its more on the harder side too, so maybe a soft rubber would suit it. any thoughts or recommendations?

jpen is still fun as heck, one shot one kill playstyle that cpen cant really give you.

It will also depends on the topsheet. For example R53 feels softer than MXP (48 degree)

I agree Jpen goes better with soft rubber because you really want to feel the nice hinoki.

Aug 2019
It will also depends on the topsheet. For example R53 feels softer than MXP (48 degree)

I agree Jpen goes better with soft rubber because you really want to feel the nice hinoki.

thats a good point, the hardness of the topsheet makes choosing a rubber much more complicated 😂

once i wore out my fastarc g-1 (if it ever dies at all), i would try out a donic baracuda. seems cheap and soft enough to fit the bill.

on the other hand i had my FH rubber for my cpen replaced with battle 2 provincial. unbelievably fast and bouncy for a chinese rubber, kept overshooting the ball out of the table. the few loops that made it into the table however had vicious spin. smashes are also pretty killer.

the only gripe i have with it is that its pretty heavy, i couldnt get a proper grip on it when i swing and my RPB is pretty much slower to deploy. but i just need to get used to the heavier setup.

i have a feeling i am going to like this rubber. 🙂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Penholder here! I guess you could say I'm a modern penholder.I started playing jpen RPB when I was 14(today I'm almost 36). If I remember correctly, I had been playing in a club for about 2 years using shakehand before I switched.

The racket I was using back then was a Butterfly Cypress S with Butterfly Bryce on the forehand and Yasaka Mark V on the backhand. The owner of the store from which I bought the blade helped me sand down the backhandside to make the rubber fit :)This was during the speed glue era.

Today I mostly play chinese RPB using a Darker speed 90 Cpen blade with skyline 2 on the forehand and Xiom Omega 7 Asia on the backhand.I have a few more blades that I use occasionally(Armstrong Val Round Jpen, Stiga Emerald Cpen, Xiom Omega Tour Cpen, OSP Martin AC to name a few).
I've kept my old Butterfly Jpen blade and I still use it from time to time. But using it feels really clunky and slow compared to a Cpen blade or even the Armstrong VAL.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I've kept my old Butterfly Jpen blade and I still use it from time to time. But using it feels really clunky and slow compared to a Cpen blade.

I used Darker SP90 cpen before. It’s just as fast as my Jpen SP90. Don’t you find it too thick to execute RPB with SP90 cpen?

Reactions: jbvttcc
Aug 2019
Penholder here! I guess you could say I'm a modern penholder.I started playing jpen RPB when I was 14(today I'm almost 36). If I remember correctly, I had been playing in a club for about 2 years using shakehand before I switched.

The racket I was using back then was a Butterfly Cypress S with Butterfly Bryce on the forehand and Yasaka Mark V on the backhand. The owner of the store from which I bought the blade helped me sand down the backhandside to make the rubber fit :)This was during the speed glue era.

Today I mostly play chinese RPB using a Darker speed 90 Cpen blade with skyline 2 on the forehand and Xiom Omega 7 Asia on the backhand.I have a few more blades that I use occasionally(Armstrong Val Round Jpen, Stiga Emerald Cpen, Xiom Omega Tour Cpen, OSP Martin AC to name a few).
I've kept my old Butterfly Jpen blade and I still use it from time to time. But using it feels really clunky and slow compared to a Cpen blade or even the Armstrong VAL.

ahh nice, nice

are you still using the same old bryce on your cypress S? then again i use cypress S before and i agree that its not really powerful for the 40+ ball today, but i really enjoyed the control it provided

a fast rubber like donic bluefire m1 turbo is quite nice on a cypress S

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
I used Darker SP90 cpen before. It’s just as fast as my Jpen SP90. Don’t you find it too thick to execute RPB with SP90 cpen?

I think it works fine.. But I was using a thick Jpen blade for a good amount of years before switching to a Cpen blade.

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022

ahh nice, nice

are you still using the same old bryce on your cypress S? then again i use cypress S before and i agree that its not really powerful for the 40+ ball today, but i really enjoyed the control it provided

a fast rubber like donic bluefire m1 turbo is quite nice on a cypress S

No, I dont really use my cypress S much at all these days and if I remember correctly the last time I used it was with Haifu whale on the forehand.
I do however still have an old sheet of bryce and some speed glue at home :) it's kind of suprising how well the bryce sheet has lasted through the years.

Aug 2019
what do you guys think about yasaka CPENs and YEO in general?

lets be blunt here, i got cash to burn and i want to try out a yasaka CPEN just for the sake of EJ'ing. 🤭 i also heard that its more comfortable for people with small hands, and i have pretty small hands.

at the same time though i want to have my money's worth and i am concerned whether or not the YEO or YE (extra) wouldnt be that great with the ABS ball. i also thought of getting a goiabao 5 if thats the case, but i am also concerned if it is too fast for me.

any thoughts?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Sweet blade! I love my 1 ply blades but I've got about n+1 blade too many! My Butterfly Senkoh 1 and a lovely Xiom Seung Power Hinoki (Try saying that three times fast...) are more than enough for my Jpen needs, I mean, wants. :p

I have a Sanwei Target National on the Butterfly blade FH with a Yinhe Galaxy 9000E on the BH and for fun on the Xiom blade, I have a 729 802-40 pips out on the FH and Grass Dtecs OX on the BH. The latter is really fun to hit through spin :)

Hi there,
I am really sorry to ask you but I am trullly desperate to find a old Butterfly Senkoh 1 for my grandpa.
If you still have it and are willing to sell, please please let me know.
Thank you

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
My old Taksim blade is well old. A friend mentioned that carbon blades will crack inside over time, or words to that effect. It was a handme down from a friend after his use of it for a few years from the 1980s. My 2 rubbers are old and I have not replaced them yet.

With that said, the equipment junkie bug may have hit me. Contemplating the Hurricane Hao 3 carbon blade with Yinhe Big Dipper for my BH (tried it out from a from a friend as both FH and BH, liked it a lot for my BH - not sure if it is a "FH rubber" or not) and will use MX-P on my FH. But I am still deciding if i really need a new blade as well as saving up for it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
what do you guys think about yasaka CPENs and YEO in general?

lets be blunt here, i got cash to burn and i want to try out a yasaka CPEN just for the sake of EJ'ing. 🤭 i also heard that its more comfortable for people with small hands, and i have pretty small hands.

at the same time though i want to have my money's worth and i am concerned whether or not the YEO or YE (extra) wouldnt be that great with the ABS ball. i also thought of getting a goiabao 5 if thats the case, but i am also concerned if it is too fast for me.

any thoughts?

I had traded my friend for his new unused backup YEO to keep as a spare in case I needed to use it should anything happen to my primary and backup blades. After a month or so, I still didn't use it. He wanted to trade for it back, and I got a Stiga Offensive CR WRB Chinese Penhold instead. . I have not used the YEO extensively outside of a few times hitting with his YEO. But he loves it although I think partly because he loves Ma Lin and that was Ma Lin's blade.