Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I'm sorry SFF but I don't play with a JPEN blade. I play with CPEN 10mm thick (yup! you heard it right) Dr. Neubauer Firewall plus (my photo). Though I'm thinking of purchasing a JPEN for speed upgrade as I find it uncomfortable playing with other CPEN due to different thickness of blade. While I'm at it can you suggest me JPEN blades that are fast and RPB ready but cost lesser than USD100. I have Nittaku Miyabi, Xiom Power Hinoki and BBC custom JPEN in my mind. I might treat myself this Christmas. [emoji14]

Yes. I would like to see a photo of how you did it.

I think I'll pass I'm a wristy player and I think by that weight it might injure my wrist. But that seem pretty interesting though.

Thanks!
2055349374b0865c7827918065be7285.jpg

I glue two pieces of rubbers to improve the comfort and grip of the thumb and index finger. Prefer soft rubber like BH rubber.

79c6054e34a2c4d9ce143875978a73b1.jpg

I also sand down the back of the handle to make it more comfortable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I am left-handed J-pen.
TPB. I play just for fun. I love it!
(I also use the handle SH. Sorry for my bad English - I use the translator.)

Attachments

• IMG_9209 kopia1.jpg
    IMG_9209 kopia1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_9210 kopia1.jpg
    IMG_9210 kopia1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_9214 kopia1.jpg
    IMG_9214 kopia1.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 269
That looks really smart imo. I also rest my fingers on rubber for comfort. I might try your 'little bits of rubber' technique so I don't have to have the rubber flush with the handle, and lighten the load a bit. I was wondering though why you have red on FH and black on bh if you use tackies fh and non-tacky bh? Blacks are notoriously tackier and red non-tackies are usually faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hello:

Just curious how many Penholders are on TTD? I know of a few already (JeffM, Liten, suds79) , not sure if site has a create thread/poll option... didn't think i see it.

Are you a modern penholder? Are you a JPen player? Is there a RPB for JPen?

Or are you like me an oldschool one-sided CPen penholder?

Me: I am currently using MX-P on my FH, will add a LP Ox to my BH soon, more for weight and protect the racket than actually using the LP in play. My whole game is one-sided oldschool PH (FH smashes, sucky FH loops, FH blocks, BH blocks, no BH smashes and use a BH punch (aka 'push-block'). At some point, may try to use the LP and/or add short pips - but my concern is that the added short pips is too heavy for my liking.

Also, seems like PH is dying out on the world-class level. Recent Ask the Pro video, Wong Chun Ting said PH is dying out. SO wanted to check out on the non-world-class level how many PH are on here :)

Thank you in advance.

Next :)
OK OSPH, this signifies I saw this thread...lol.
I live middle US, play more days than not, mostly tpb, love my OSP blades.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think a thread where people post pics of their grip (ph). could be really informative and useful. Anyone agree?

For an oldschool PH, i have, what i believe, is a non-traditional grip ... perhaps it explains why i'm a little wacky with my shots in basic FH to FH. I believe my grip facilitates my punch way more effective than a traditional grip.

Will take pix tonight and post tonight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Cross posted with the Daily Chit Chat thread:

Played 'Si-hing' 1 game. Haven't taken a match from him yet. Have close matches in the past, sometimes i win 1 or 2 games. After losing the first game at 8, Si-hing left cos he had next on another table and my table was the 'warmup' table.

I am my own worst enemy. I'm still playing inconsistently. Tried to use a short pendulum motion. I see now I still have loads to work on, but my pendulum motion used to have a lot of moving parts and was a way longer motion.

Had time last night to edit raw video - full game. Comments as always welcomed.

For new members on this thread, I'm in dark top and bluish shorts. I play an oldschool PH game of using only 1 side, i block/punch (aka push-block)/smash/and some looping. Using a Nexy Amazon CPen with MX-P rubber. My back to phone camera. Sorry for bad angle

Last edited:
Reactions: mky and genrel001
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
dunno if chitchat or here

yesterday, I forgot my entire bag with my TT stuff (or rather it was locked by mistake in our training hall) for an away team game. Everyone had to donate pieces of clothing and shoes and a racket for me, and I played so awkwardly and bad using someone else's shakehand bat. RBP worked fine, but the non-tacky, soft tensor rubbers on the forehand killed me.

Note to self: forgetting your racket is even worse for penholders than for SH players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
For an oldschool PH, i have, what i believe, is a non-traditional grip ... perhaps it explains why i'm a little wacky with my shots in basic FH to FH. I believe my grip facilitates my punch way more effective than a traditional grip.

Will take pix tonight and post tonight.

My apologies to my fellow PH on this thread... busy at home, haven't been able to take pix and post of my grip. Shooting for later tonight.

says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
says Visited my own profile, woop woop. ;)
Nov 2014
Read 6 reviews
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
20161207_175835_1481212064657.jpg20161207_175849_1481212064246.jpg

My grip, no one taught me this. Traditional PH grip i believe has the handle nestled in the web of the hand. As you can see, my grip is out of the web and closer to the index finger.

This helps me block/punch very well IMO. I've tried to block and punch with the handle in the web of my hand and have found I cannot close the racket as well as when the handle is closer to my knuckle.

Downside may be i have a wacky FH stroke.

Knowing my limitations, as I'm older and slower now, this grip is good for me and my block/punch parts of my game.

As a reminder to all on this thread, I used to play a lot when I was much younger. Had a 30+ yrs layoff from TT. Have been playing again for a little over a year now. Not sure how I got to this grip... had a little formal coaching when younger but nothing on grip.

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Interesting... I don't plan to twiddle any time soon, still trying to get my old game back and be consistent

Haven't tried to twiddle or lp chop

Will try it next week if I can, dependent on partner, and will report back

Could be my stroke or the grip, but I am not that good a practice partner, hit all over. .. duringMatch play though, have no issues generally with block/punch and smash ... looping kind of ok, but more cos oversees not a pure looper, and definitely not steady

May try the traditional grip only one night and see how that helps my game, if at all

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
15419434_10211181701521455_878742516_o.jpg15368863_10211181699761411_2058334243_o.jpg15354205_10211181694001267_263892659_o.jpg

Image #1: My grip. Pressure is on the thumb and the index finger is relaxed.

Image #2: My service grip. Provides more controlled wrist movements during service.

Image #3: My RPB side. 2 fingers are pressed and the little finger relaxed in normal FH strokes and RPB strokes but for FH power strokes all 3 fingers are pressed.

Btw, it's my new bat. I now find my Firewall Plus slow and light so I had a cheap upgrade. Dawei R5 is an exceptional blade for only around $15. Good control and good speed plus there's more solid contact on the feel.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder