Breaking News! Feng Tianwei has been dropped from Singapore National Team!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
When these mercenaries win Gold - they are national heros
Before Gold, they are mercenary and people complain about Chinese imports - happy with gold medals though....
When they fight back, they are ill disciplined.

The coach story (LGL's brother) to me was a bigger joke
The FTW one is slightly smaller, as FTW is retiring age.

If FTW broke contract of those claims, there should sue her, and not bully her
To me, bully tactic is people who have some power, but have lack of wisdom and rather childish to slander.

Singapore TT is and has always gave me questions on how leadership run the show.
Few promising players now, but they lack proper leadership - both senior player and mangement

Yeah some of the comments made by "native singaporeans" in this article are hilarious. They accuse feng tianwei for lack of national pride , sportsmanship and teamwork. I guess she was a true patriot when she was winning medals

Truth is every professional plays for a living first and then for his team/country/national pride or whatever. It's a normal thing

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
When these mercenaries win Gold - they are national heros
Before Gold, they are mercenary and people complain about Chinese imports - happy with gold medals though....
When they fight back, they are ill disciplined.

The coach story (LGL's brother) to me was a bigger joke
The FTW one is slightly smaller, as FTW is retiring age.

If FTW broke contract of those claims, there should sue her, and not bully her
To me, bully tactic is people who have some power, but have lack of wisdom and rather childish to slander.

Singapore TT is and has always gave me questions on how leadership run the show.
Few promising players now, but they lack proper leadership - both senior player and mangement

One more thing Tony, Acidentally I saw a video about LGL's brother but coulnd understand anything specific about the case. Can you please enlighten us about what actually happened?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liu+guodong

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
One more thing Tony, Acidentally I saw a video about LGL's brother but coulnd understand anything specific about the case. Can you please enlighten us about what actually happened?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liu+guodong

The boss of STTA said LGD has a bad personality in news media back in 2009
in 2008, he got them to win a medal
a year later, they got rid of him because he is BAD
So they use media, and LGD wanted clarity but STTA was hiding and didn't answer him

Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
Yeah some of the comments made by "native singaporeans" in this article are hilarious. They accuse feng tianwei for lack of national pride , sportsmanship and teamwork.

It's a common gripe in Singapore, although of course not unique to Singapore. What makes the xenophobia particularly ridiculous is the implication that the citizenship of naturalised citizens is of lesser status, and this is in a very young country where probably the majority of the citizens are immigrants or descended from recent immigrants. And it's not as if FTW hadn't justified the investment in her.

I can see China, with its wealth of talent, ditching a world top-10 player. For almost any other country, including Singapore, it borders on the insane.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
It's a common gripe in Singapore, although of course not unique to Singapore. What makes the xenophobia particularly ridiculous is the implication that the citizenship of naturalised citizens is of lesser status, and this is in a very young country where probably the majority of the citizens are immigrants or descended from recent immigrants. And it's not as if FTW hadn't justified the investment in her.

I can see China, with its wealth of talent, ditching a world top-10 player. For almost any other country, including Singapore, it borders on the insane.

Well said, this hypocrisy occurs in many countries I think. In Greece some very successfull athletes were treated like traitors when they joined political parties or followed specific agendas. (even more hilarious is the fact that the people who voted/elected them in the first place were the ones that booed them) It's the definition of oxymoron, good athlete does not equal good politician. Crazy stuff , maybe there is a complete lack of judgment, reading an article about how bad feng or liu guodong is and believing every word of it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

I didn't want to comment too much on the common gripe as you said in Singapore.
But I do feel Singapore is unique in a way.

I guess when things are all too good (best crime rate, best education, best this and that), people become arrogant and treat outsiders xenophobic as you stated.
I witness how the local Singaporeans talked about Chinese migrants, but then meanwhile those people are Han Chinese decedents and originally from China too. I kind of couldn't believe the narrow mind discrimination mindset

I just got a sense that Singaporean are best in the world, everyone is number 2, and Chinese are low down on the list.
So how they treated LGD, I was not surprised, even though LGD is one of the most respectable coaches in the table tennis circle, he got zero respect from STTA management.

I would say the Chinese in Europe get treated better than Chinese in Singapore.
Some European won't say they are perfect, but to me, it is common that Singapore think there are 100% perfect.

For example, no Singaporean wants to work as cleaners, till operators (in shops) etc, as they feel they are worth more.
So these jobs ended with immigrants.
I found out, they rather be unemployed than oppose to have a "loose face" job

Funny how so many Chinese migrant TT "heros' are now enemies to Singapore TTA, both players and coaches.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well said, this hypocrisy occurs in many countries I think.

Totally right. In german forums you could read stuff like: "China has won the ETTC" and stuff like that.
And this would also happen, when Han Ying won, in fact it already has.
It's so ungrateful and rude, especially for Jie Schöpp, whose really been doing a good job so far.

I always keep answering, that people should be happy and a little more thankful to have such good practice partners and if Winter and Solja can't win against them (Shan Xiaona, and Han Ying) how shall they just even think about winning against someone from the CNT, but i guess some people are just too small minded to realize that.

I always thought this was a european/western issue, but now I see it's obviously not.
Some people probably just haven't evolved much since the days of the cavemen.

Thanks for that, sorry for FTW though.
If it wasn't so saddening, it would actually be funny.

Last edited:
Reactions: TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Some European won't say they are perfect, but to me, it is common that Singapore think there are 100% perfect.

For example, no Singaporean wants to work as cleaners, till operators (in shops) etc, as they feel they are worth more.

This is also quite common in Europe and i guess also elsewhere, 'cause stupid people are stupid people. No matter where they're from.

The twistedness about this is, that if an immigrant doesn't work, they say: lazy immigrants, and on the other hand if an immigrant can find a job they go like: they take our job!!!
[Emoji2]

Stupid people are stupid people, no matter where they're from.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
It's same in Japan too. Likes of Yoshida/Kan/Chan have always been treated badly by fans.
It's touchy subject and discussed frequently in other sports like rugby and athletics. Some governing bodies(eg. IAAF, ITTF) are trying to stop poaching while others don't really care.

I prefer to see localy developed players compete but I also believe in human rights so I guess it comes down to each governing bodies. But comparing the interest level between mens/womens ETTC... hmm.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Totally right. In german forums you could read stuff like: "China has won the ETTC" and stuff like that.
And this would also happen, when Han Ying won, in fact it already has.
It's so ungrateful and rude, especially for Jie Schöpp, whose really been doing a good job so far.

I always keep answering, that people should be happy and a little more thankful to have such good practice partners and if Winter and Solja can't win against them (Shan Xiaona, and Han Ying) how shall they just even think about winning against someone from the CNT, but i guess some people are just too small minded to realize that.

I always thought this was a european/western issue, but now I see it's obviously not.
Some people probably just haven't evolved much since the days of the cavemen.

Thanks for that, sorry for FTW though.
If it wasn't so saddening, it would actually be funny.

Yeap,
Moreover solja and winter wouldnt be the players they are today if they didnt have such good partners and coaches. Same goes for my country, there was a "kreanga" frenzy for almost 15 years especially when he was in top 10 and winning pro tours and world/euro medals. We have 2 promising kids today stamatouros and sgouropoulos I dont think they would be the same level today if we didnt have a player like kreanga for them to look up to

Gionis also is another example, kreanga and tsiokas helped him very much to improve and they are of romanian descent. People in greece sometimes forget that kreanga & tsioka got the greek citizenship only because we were faster than the other federations to sign a contract with them when they deployed from the romanian dictatorship

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Yeap,
Moreover solja and winter wouldnt be the players they are today if they didnt have such good partners and coaches. Same goes for my country, there was a "kreanga" frenzy for almost 15 years especially when he was in top 10 and winning pro tours and world/euro medals. We have 2 promising kids today stamatouros and sgouropoulos I dont think they would be the same level today if we didnt have a player like kreanga for them to look up to

Gionis also is another example, kreanga and tsiokas helped him very much to improve and they are of romanian descent. People in greece sometimes forget that kreanga & tsioka got the greek citizenship only because we were faster than the other federations to sign a contract with them when they deployed from the romanian dictatorship

Spot on.
I think people love to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

#Itis2016
migration has been around for thousands of years
1/3 of the world is chinese
1/3 of the world is indian
every one in Europe is mostly mixed - 1/16 polish, 1/8 german, 1/2 english etc etc etc

I think if they are true fighters, they will challenge them and fight (compete and beat them fair and square)
The lazy spoil ones will cry foul - same attitude when they were babies and when crying, the parents will spoil them to stop crying.
If today there was no outside influence, would your (the ones that complain) players, your country be as good as it is today.
There is good and there is bad, you can't only have the good and not wanting the bad. this is life and people must mature and grow up - no longer kids and only wanting the good :)

Thats my view on racism, discrimination and spirit to improve as a human being

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D and TTFrenzy
This user has no status.
Spot on.
I think people love to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

#Itis2016
migration has been around for thousands of years
1/3 of the world is chinese
1/3 of the world is indian
every one in Europe is mostly mixed - 1/16 polish, 1/8 german, 1/2 english etc etc etc

I think if they are true fighters, they will challenge them and fight (compete and beat them fair and square)
The lazy spoil ones will cry foul - same attitude when they were babies and when crying, the parents will spoil them to stop crying.
If today there was no outside influence, would your (the ones that complain) players, your country be as good as it is today.
There is good and there is bad, you can't only have the good and not wanting the bad. this is life and people must mature and grow up - no longer kids and only wanting the good :)

Thats my view on racism, discrimination and spirit to improve as a human being

That is true and we have our local players(Pang Xuejie and Clarence Chew) too hahaha. They have performed really well in this year's world championships. Please show them some love haha.
Some videos on our local players

This user has no status.
I didn't want to comment too much on the common gripe as you said in Singapore.
But I do feel Singapore is unique in a way.

I guess when things are all too good (best crime rate, best education, best this and that), people become arrogant and treat outsiders xenophobic as you stated.
I witness how the local Singaporeans talked about Chinese migrants, but then meanwhile those people are Han Chinese decedents and originally from China too. I kind of couldn't believe the narrow mind discrimination mindset

I just got a sense that Singaporean are best in the world, everyone is number 2, and Chinese are low down on the list.
So how they treated LGD, I was not surprised, even though LGD is one of the most respectable coaches in the table tennis circle, he got zero respect from STTA management.

Funny how so many Chinese migrant TT "heros' are now enemies to Singapore TTA, both players and coaches.
Chill dude... First if all, all Singaporeans knows about the politics involved within the governmental organisations such as the STTA. Secondly, You don't need to stereotype us Singaporeans... Yes there are some Singaporeans that are pretty xenophobic and are not pleased with immigrants(they will often protest in the Hong Lim Park, you can check up of that haha), but you got to understand from their point of view that it is because the government prioritises foreign talent(FT) over the citizens. (You can research on that too). In addition, there are also many situations here where there are some Chinese that moved here are very inconsiderate and often affect the community in a negative way(shoving and making a ruckus is pretty well known here )But even so most Singaporeans are still super chill about the situation because we believe that there are still Chinese are very nice and we emphasis on a harmonious society.(But i agree it is partially due to the ampathetic nature of some Singaporeans here too) To elaborate on the jobs of cleaners, i admit that our "intense pursuit of qualifications" culture is to be blamed... Almost everyone here is in pursuit for a degree here and there is certainly no demand for cleaners due to the low paying jobs. "They would rather be unemployed" is true as they are busy searching for a higher paying job haha. Anyway with the great influx of FTs(From high low rising) by the govt and their extremely low pay, there is also no demand for local workers who are higher paid in the high paying jobs and with some being inconsiderate, of course there will be displeasure For the table tennis scene, yes there are displeasure among some Singaporeans but we are generally still welcoming, especially in the table tennis circle. If you still remember Wang Yuegu, she is currently teaching in a well known high school here in Singapore and we local players greatly appreciate. For Li Jiawei, you can do the research yourself haha. STTA is just being political themselves and people in the table tennis circle know that too.(We dont get involve cos of ahem politics)(you have to do the research yourself hahaha i don't want to get into trouble)
In conclusion, Singaporeans are generally ignorant themselves(but we know we are not perfect) and some are even extremely against Chinese for their favoured treatment and some for their negative impact. But even so most of us are still friendly and open towards them. Next time just visit us and see for yourself(shameless promotion hhaaha). Chinese migrant TT players are still appreciated here (look at the post on this issue and my stand on this scenario at the first page of the forum) and we players in the table tennis circle are always open towards their arrival. Hope this clarifies your understanding on the Singapore context here.
P.s. I have read various posts written by you and i really respect you for your knowledge on table tennis. However, your comments have greatly hurt me and that is why i wrote this long post.
P.s. Sorry for the long post haha.
P.s. If you have any queries about Singapore culture, just feel feel to text me here

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Chill dude... First if all, all Singaporeans knows about the politics involved within the governmental organisations such as the STTA. Secondly, You don't need to stereotype us Singaporeans... Yes there are some Singaporeans that are pretty xenophobic and are not pleased with immigrants(they will often protest in the Hong Lim Park, you can check up of that haha), but you got to understand from their point of view that it is because the government prioritises foreign talent(FT) over the citizens. (You can research on that too). In addition, there are also many situations here where there are some Chinese that moved here are very inconsiderate and often affect the community in a negative way(shoving and making a ruckus is pretty well known here )But even so most Singaporeans are still super chill about the situation because we believe that there are still Chinese are very nice and we emphasis on a harmonious society.(But i agree it is partially due to the ampathetic nature of some Singaporeans here too) To elaborate on the jobs of cleaners, i admit that our "intense pursuit of qualifications" culture is to be blamed... Almost everyone here is in pursuit for a degree here and there is certainly no demand for cleaners due to the low paying jobs. "They would rather be unemployed" is true as they are busy searching for a higher paying job haha. Anyway with the great influx of FTs(From high low rising) by the govt and their extremely low pay, there is also no demand for local workers who are higher paid in the high paying jobs and with some being inconsiderate, of course there will be displeasure For the table tennis scene, yes there are displeasure among some Singaporeans but we are generally still welcoming, especially in the table tennis circle. If you still remember Wang Yuegu, she is currently teaching in a well known high school here in Singapore and we local players greatly appreciate. For Li Jiawei, you can do the research yourself haha. STTA is just being political themselves and people in the table tennis circle know that too.(We dont get involve cos of ahem politics)(you are do the research too hahaha i don't want to get into trouble)
In conclusion, Singaporeans are generally ignorant themselves(but we know we are not perfect) and some are even extremely against Chinese for their favoured treatment and some for their negative impact. But even so most of us are still friendly and open towards them. Next time just visit us and see for yourself(shameless promotion hhaaha). Chinese migrant TT players are still appreciated here (look at the post on this issue and my stand on this scenario at the first page of the forum) and we players in the table tennis cycle are always open towards their arrival. Hope this clarifies your understanding on the Singapore context here.
P.s. I have read various posts written by you and i really respect you for your knowledge on table tennis. However, your comments have greatly hurt me and that is why i wrote this long post.
P.s. Sorry for the long post haha.
P.s. If you have any queries about Singapore culture, just feel feel to text me here

I guess I forgot to mention, I did spend some time in Singapore.
But I am happy that with my short stint there, you agree to a lot of my experience.

I just think Singaporean in general needs to chill and know that one mountain is always higher than another mountain
Singapore achieve a lot in 30 to 50 years, but almost everyone is a 1 to 2 generation foreigner

What grief people have, they should display it to the politicians, it is being immature to display it towards to common people - the foreigners.

Address the root problem is another way of saying it
So what is the root problem?

This user has no status.
I guess I forgot to mention, I did spend some time in Singapore.
But I am happy that with my short stint there, you agree to a lot of my experience.

I just think Singaporean in general needs to chill and know that one mountain is always higher than another mountain
Singapore achieve a lot in 30 to 50 years, but almost everyone is a 1 to 2 generation foreigner

What grief people have, they should display it to the politicians, it is being immature to display it towards to common people - the foreigners.

Address the root problem is another way of saying it
So what is the root problem?
Sorry Tony for my bad grammar haha. Didn't really notice it just now haha. Yes, I agree with you about the immature behaviour displayed by some people here and I am deeply sorry for them as a fellow countryman. As for the root problem, one root problem I feel is our system here. Please feel free to refer to the article(http://harvardpolitics.com/world/singapores-stubborn-authoritarianism/) for more information.
P.s. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Singapore :)
P.s. Singaporeans are generally chill people, especially the younger generations:cool:

Last edited: