Booster and sponge thickness

says oh sorry boring -.-
says oh sorry boring -.-
Feb 2011
Hello community,
and that I wanted to know from you whether a rubber with a hardness of 39 is a really hard rubber or more of a softer? I wanted to order a new rubber but the booster I have is only for hard Rubbers ... If 39 is not a hard rubber then I would have to buy booster for me, even with soft Rubber ..

I hope someone can help! Thank you

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Booster does soften the sponge of what ever rubber you are using to some extent, but most of the boosters out there, as far as I know, are made from the same basic chemicals, so even if it says it is for hard rubbers, you could probably use it on what ever rubber you have. I think Hurricane ranges from 38-42 and Hurricane is hard. So I think, I could be wrong, but I think that 39 should be pretty firm.

What rubber is it that you wanted to order? Knowing this might help people on the forum help you better. Sometimes the spec #'s seem arbitrary.

says oh sorry boring -.-
says oh sorry boring -.-
Feb 2011
Ah, the topic has already done! In the booster was given only for the hard of Rubbers would .. But having made ​​the picture big time and have since read that is:

Applicability hard and soft sponge

I know now that I know can use this booster!

But thank you that you've written a reply to the thread :)

Greeting bFeee

says oh sorry boring -.-
says oh sorry boring -.-
Feb 2011
To me it does not really matter whether something is illegal! I just do not want me every 3-6 weeks to buy the new Rubbers are always more expensive! Because I'd rather buy a cheap rubber and use the booster with it! The whole ****ing table tennis companies should not always think only of themselves but also look at the people who have to buy it! For as expensive as some people now are so much Rubbers Rubbers are not at the value of their poor quality ... Otherwise, such Rubbers which would cost € 50-60 also last much longer as it is promised again and again: O

Well if u look at it in price, when you glue you have to buy alot because glueing is done every 2-3 hours and is also a pain to keep glueing a bowl of rubber to a flat piece of wood haha and it is harmful to your heath. i recommend just finding a place online where there charge little for rubber. My friend can give u a 10% discount at www.tabletennisonly.com if u mention my name in the info

says oh sorry boring -.-
says oh sorry boring -.-
Feb 2011
I've been lucky that I get for a Rubber Tenergy 40 € instead of € 56.90 ^ ^
Booster and cheap Rubbers worthwhile for the year more than expected to buy new every 4-6 weeks Rubbers! But everyone has a different view of times now so anyone can do what he thinks is right even if boost is not good:p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Do you use Bio Booster? It is technically a legal booster as I've read the articles and haven't found anything against boosting just that no VOC's are allowed in the gluing or sponge surfaces. As for cheap rubbers, be like the Chinese and get a great stroke then you can use cheaper rubbers and never need the expensive ones. Although if I'm not mistaken Bio-booster allows you to reboost if you use the water based glues. Basically the best ones are latex based. They should peel right off after you have to reglue and you can re apply the bio-booster every month or so and it lasts for a long time. When I feel like boosting I get about 4-5 sheets from buddies if they'd like to get it boosted and it takes 2 days to complete. You put on 3 Layers first time then 24 hrs later you put on another 2 and another 24 hrs later you put on another 2. Then let it sit out for a week or until it flattens out. Then glue it to the blade and play for 3 months and re apply every 2-3 months.

Reactions: Suga D
says oh sorry boring -.-
says oh sorry boring -.-
Feb 2011
What is a booster for that because what you just write? A link to buy or more information would not be bad;-) Currently I use only oil Haifu ^ ^

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
So I see that Yosua is right and I cannot just make a joke about the legality of speed glue and boosting. I am not sure why so many TT players seem so uneducated about this subject. Here, this is me simply copying something from another thread, but it is information about speed glue and boosting:

First I want to deal with the term ILLEGAL. I am not sure why so many TT players use this term. None of this stuff is illegal. The police will not come to your home and arrest you. What you guys mean when you say "illegal" is "against ITTF rules", "Banned from Tournament Play".

The official reason that the ITTF banned speed glue is the VOCs are not good for you. But if it was just that then some of the boosting would be acceptable even though most of the chemicals used for boosting are not so good for you either.

What boosting and speed glue do to the sponge is cause it to expand. When the sponge expands it puts the topsheet of the rubber on tension. The sponge has more bounce and therefore more speed, but the topsheet being on tension, allows the ball to sink into the rubber more fully and the tension also causes the topsheet to grip the ball more fully. So one of the things you get with speed glue or boosting is MORE DWELL TIME, which means more SPEED, more SPIN and more CONTROL.

Why is boosting against the rules. The original official reason had to do with people inhaling chemicals that do damage to your health. In the 1970's there were people who wanted to get high who would sniff glue. It would kill their brain cells and they would end, well the term was, burnt out. Their brain was not functioning as well, they became a lot less intelligent. People would say that the glue kills brain cells.

But then, why would boosting be banned if you can have a substance that is safe and non toxic that will do some of the same effects? Again, some boost materials are toxic, but there are chemicals that are 100% perfectly safe that can be used to tune rubbers.

One reason I have heard is that, if the ITTF approves a rubber and then you tune it, the ITTF did not approve the rubber, because you have changed the playing characteristics of the rubber after it was approved. They approved the rubber before it was tuned, not after. This is also why PRE-TUNED rubber is okay. If the rubber is boosted and then it is approved. The rubber was approved with the playing characteristics it had when it left the factory.

There are other theories about why the ITTF banned boosting that the ITTF would deny. Some are things like: by doing all that, they are making a forum for the Table Tennis companies to make more money. Other theories have to do with the idea that ITTF was trying to slow the game down more so that it was more viewer friendly as a spectator sport. I will not comment on either of these except to say, "I personally do not know".

But I am pretty confident that all the top players are using equipment that is different from what we buy from TT distributors. All the bats are teched in some way before they play with them. Most of them are special, they are not just off the shelf. All the rubbers are for them. I believe that most of the time the companies tune them for the players before the players get their hands on them. But I think, even with this, most of the players are using some kind of boosting.

It always entertains me when I see a player trying to press his rubbers onto his bat durning a match. I see this from the Chinese players more than from anyone else. That is a sure sign that they just reglued before the match and the boost they put on their rubber caused it to dome up, or that they used so much glue that the rubber is basically floating on the glue.

The real question is, why is there so much of a big deal about the equipment? In other sports you pick up a ball, or a bat or a racket and you play. There are better and worse tennis rackets but it is not the same thing. And the reason for there being so much of a big deal about equipment in table tennis is how much you use minute, precision skills that have to do with spinning the ball. And everybody wants an edge on his/her opponents. I guess in baseball you have corked bats and spitballs though.

By the way, one of the things this means is: there is nothing wrong with using speed glue, as long as you are not going to play in a tournament. The problem with using speed glue now that it is banned would be finding it. But I personally do not want to mess with regluing my rubbers every time I play. I like just putting them on and playing.

Also, I don't need to expose myself to those toxic fumes. They really are not good for you. But speed glue is not against the laws of any country I know of.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Do you use Bio Booster? It is technically a legal booster as I've read the articles and haven't found anything against boosting just that no VOC's are allowed in the gluing or sponge surfaces. As for cheap rubbers, be like the Chinese and get a great stroke then you can use cheaper rubbers and never need the expensive ones. Although if I'm not mistaken Bio-booster allows you to reboost if you use the water based glues. Basically the best ones are latex based. They should peel right off after you have to reglue and you can re apply the bio-booster every month or so and it lasts for a long time. When I feel like boosting I get about 4-5 sheets from buddies if they'd like to get it boosted and it takes 2 days to complete. You put on 3 Layers first time then 24 hrs later you put on another 2 and another 24 hrs later you put on another 2. Then let it sit out for a week or until it flattens out. Then glue it to the blade and play for 3 months and re apply every 2-3 months.

And based on the rules, changing the playing characteristics of a rubber after the ITTF has approved the rubber is against the rules. It has nothing to do with whether the chemicals are safe even though when they started this, the stated original reason for banning speed glue was that the chemicals are hazardous to your health. So even if the chemicals are safe, boosting the rubbers is against ITTF tournament rules. They can tune the rubber in the factory before it is packaged for sale or distribution, but once it leaves the factory you cannot use any substance, safe or otherwise, to change the playing characteristics of the rubber.

But by all means, go ahead and boost when you are not playing a tournament. And if you are playing a tournament and they do not catch you, I won't report you. But you are breaking the rules. :)

Last edited: