Miu Hirano Post World Interview : Funny and outrageous !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
First of all , that is probably a little rude to say about any kid, and all the more about somebody who is juggling schoolwork and winning the table tennis world cup as a 15-16 year old ...
The point here is if ITTF or whoever arranged for a translator, why is the translator so incompetent ? Infact I felt Hirano was trying to salvage the situation when she started trying to answer directly.
She is not very good at school...

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
thats true, she's great at table tennis, and not great at school... ! I think she (or Mima ?) said she didn't like homework...

Mizutani wrote the same in his book (I have it on my shelf), he hates school. I've read similar statements from some male Chinese stars in some interviews...

I don't blame them, i was rather good at school and i suck at TT !!! one can't be good at everything....

And generally speaking Japanese suck at learning English...(or other foreign languages)

Reactions: TTHopeful
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
thats true, she's great at table tennis, and not great at school... ! I think she (or Mima ?) said she didn't like homework...

Mizutani wrote the same in his book (I have it on my shelf), he hates school. I've read similar statements from some male Chinese stars in some interviews...

I don't blame them, i was rather good at school and i suck at TT !!! one can't be good at everything....

And generally speaking Japanese suck at learning English...(or other foreign languages)

Any clues to what is written in Miu Hirano's book? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Not good in school?
Not liking school?
Not liking homework?

Come on, most kids don't like school, homework etc.....Especially the ones that loves sports

any ways, I want to see you English speaking people get an interview in Japanese and see how that would go.
I would say Miu Hirano handled the situation very well. She made the best out of the worse.

Any ways, I would blame the reporter for not making sure there is proper interpretation going on.
The interviewer needs to handle the situation, not allow the interviewee to be in that kind of situation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Completely agree with you, and I would blame the organization who put the interviewer in that position as well.

Its clear that the interviewer has no or little clue on table tennis and is just asking generic questions , and even worse , whoever has organized the tournament / ITTF should have made sure the interpreter was competent . In this case, both the interviewer and the interviewee were left like deer in headlights, its to Miu's credit that atleast she was making an effort to answer the questions because she quickly understood that she was understanding english better than the interpreter ...

anyways just one more example of showing our sport in a bad light because of incompetent administration ...

Not good in school?
Not liking school?
Not liking homework?

Come on, most kids don't like school, homework etc.....Especially the ones that loves sports

any ways, I want to see you English speaking people get an interview in Japanese and see how that would go.
I would say Miu Hirano handled the situation very well. She made the best out of the worse.

Any ways, I would blame the reporter for not making sure there is proper interpretation going on.
The interviewer needs to handle the situation, not allow the interviewee to be in that kind of situation.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Completely agree with you, and I would blame the organization who put the interviewer in that position as well.

Its clear that the interviewer has no or little clue on table tennis and is just asking generic questions , and even worse , whoever has organized the tournament / ITTF should have made sure the interpreter was competent . In this case, both the interviewer and the interviewee were left like deer in headlights, its to Miu's credit that atleast she was making an effort to answer the questions because she quickly understood that she was understanding english better than the interpreter ...

anyways just one more example of showing our sport in a bad light because of incompetent administration ...

Yep
Its minor things like this that the general public gets to see and it then it shift the perception back to "just a garage game" mentality.

And then you have TT fan's saying the world cup winner doesn't like schools or not very good in school..... As if school is the reason why the interview went as is.....

Imagine if this was on main stream news.
And the the camera goes to our lovely fan with a comment on the interview: "oh, the player isn't good in school"

Clearly TT has a long way to go. Half the problem is the TT people itself....

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster