USA Table Tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
So how does your Japanese national team get they income?
Other than the celebrities where there have personal endorsements

I recall Ai is worth quite a few million dollars, I think 10 million USD+
They have a choice to either play overseas or play under corporate teams.
You still get to go to pro tour tournaments depending on your arrangement with the corporate team. You are also allowed to go to x number of tournaments with the expense paid by JTTA. Generally, better players find their own sponsor and attend pro tours to gain ranking points as the reps for WCs and the Olympic is decided by the rankings.

This user has no status.
Lots of very interesting replies here, thank you all for your input so far.

I would agree with the idea of a USA paid league, this would benefit you guys massively. Recently the British league has attracted some great players, an example of which Is Hi Zi When.

Perhaps Trump is a huge TT fan! I doubt it, but you never know haha :)

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
From the tapes that came out before the elections he definitely seemed like a "huge TT ... I am telling you "its huge" .." fan , no pun intended :p
Lots of very interesting replies here, thank you all for your input so far.

I would agree with the idea of a USA paid league, this would benefit you guys massively. Recently the British league has attracted some great players, an example of which Is Hi Zi When.

Perhaps Trump is a huge TT fan! I doubt it, but you never know haha :)

Reactions: Yecats Encerwal

NDH

says Spin to win!
It's also worth noting that whilst it appears the UK is doing fantastically well (we have a solid league infrastructure, and the bronze at the Worlds was way beyond expectation), the harsh reality is, that it just doesn't provide enough money for most (as noted by others here).

Even the top guys will be on relatively modest wages (from actually playing TT), and then it'll only be the top 3/4 who can earn from playing in the European Leagues.

The vast majority of top top players will get their main source of income from coaching.

There is little to no incentive for an athletic, skilful junior, to grow up thinking "I want to be a professional table tennis player".

says Check out my Podcast Talkin' Smash!
TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Ah, I remember that. That was such a good pro league with a dedicated cable channel. Unfortunately the main sponsor Kenshoen had run out of money and the leage ceased to exist on 2006. That was back in the day when Japan had one of the worst finish in World teams and men's national champion was beaten by Li Chunli.

Haha yes I've heard many stories from Chunli about her time in Japan, she still gets a good laugh out of telling us about she beat half the men playing at the time :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Haha yes I've heard many stories from Chunli about her time in Japan, she still gets a good laugh out of telling us about she beat half the men playing at the time :p

Well she certainly wasn't making that up! When she was playing for Ikeda Ginko, there were many former member of Chinese national team playing but she had one of the best winning rates. She must still be one of the best player in NZ now?

TeamJOOLA
Oct 2010
Read 12 reviews
Well she certainly wasn't making that up! When she was playing for Ikeda Ginko, there were many former member of Chinese national team playing but she had one of the best winning rates. She must still be one of the best player in NZ now?

She doesn't compete domestically, not for a long time (I have never seen her play domestic in NZ in over 15 years) but she played for NZ and came back after retirement and continued to compete. She is still regarded as one of the best yes, but it's hard to gauge her level against some of the new Chinese players we have there because she has never played them.