Exercises for more power?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
Hey,
does somebody know some good exercises to do (preferably without going to the gym) for more power in the FH topspin?
I am known as having a very powerful and spinny backhand where I can use my wrist and forearm but I struggle to get much out of my shoulder and legs which is necessary for a powerful fh loop, so I mostly win the points over placement and consistency.

Reactions: Suga D
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Something you have said makes me think it may be, in part, a mechanics issue. Do you have the ability to post a video of your forehand loop?

In the gym the biggest exercises for what you are talking about would be leg press and squats. But I know you asked about out of the gym. Jumping as long as you can, and/or as high as you can. Like, jumping from the ground onto a platform 3-4 feet high over and over again, or jumping as far forward as you can over and over. In these jumps, both feet should leave the ground at the same time and they should also both land at the same time. Those really help your legs and abdomen in a way that will give you more strength to power your loop.

But shadow strokes in front of a mirror so you can see your mechanics and see if your hips and legs are timed with your stroke will also help. Because some of what is going on is really probably mechanical issues, or technique.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Yeah, mechanics matter. But having strong body makes life easier, no doubt. As Carl said, legs are important. Also, core strength is important.

Here are my favourite physical training routines (I do them at home) for core

Here is more advanced stuff that requires a bit more gear:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Power is important, i can't say it is a must, but is it really good if the placement and/or consistency is missing?

Physical fitness helps consistency. If one has a strong body, they can use less muscular force to generate the required power input for the stroke. It helps to stay relaxed and smooth and allows for better mechanics, especially for physically demanding shots like an aggressive loop against decent backspin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Physical fitness helps consistency. If one has a strong body, they can use less muscular force to generate the required power input for the stroke. It helps to stay relaxed and smooth and allows for better mechanics, especially for physically demanding shots like an aggressive loop against decent backspin.

Right, thank you very much!

This user has no status.
The most important thing you need for a powerful topspin is a nearly perfect forhand topspin execution. Only after that you can think about improving your power by doing some fitness exercises. If your topspin execution is flawed this won't help much, though.

That was in my mind when i said or asked about how practical is the power if the other things aren't there, so first knowing the basics strokes then adding power later if needed?!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Wrist and forearm are used in forehand and shoulder and legs are used in backhand. So, if the power of forehand strokes are noticeably wose than backhand, it's quite likely that your forehand stroke itself is off technically. If that's the case, multiball practices with a coach shoud fix your problem.

TBH, strength training in table tennis is largely unknown area even in this age. There are gym freaks(Mizutani, Matsudaira, Oshima) and there are multiball believers(Yoshida, Chan) but majority are compromisers that try to gain strength by excersising in table tennis floor. Theoreticaly, lifting weights in the gym would give you the most strength in the shortest time. But because there's no noticeable correlation between the type of training and the power of forehand stroke, amature players like us would be better off practicing rather than having a specific strenth training for table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
While you aspire for the perfect technique, you have to still keep on playing. The exercises will strengthen your body to prevent repetitive use injuries as and help you to keep training untill you achieve that elusive perfect technique.
Its a little too simple to think that you will first achieve the perfect technique and then you will stregthen your body .... its has to be a continuous process ...

The most important thing you need for a powerful topspin is a nearly perfect forhand topspin execution. Only after that you can think about improving your power by doing some fitness exercises. If your topspin execution is flawed this won't help much, though.