Trying to take my game to a new level

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
Right, in simple terms I'm not as good as I want to be right now. I lack consistency when it comes to match play. I'm either very average or come out and look like a world beater (not in the sense I'm as good as that but believe me I look a hell of a lot better play when I'm on fire).

Negatives

Very average serves-
I can do reverse pendulum which I find easier to work on. But my pendulum serves do not generate enough spin, I struggle to feel where I'm hitting it. I feel I get a little backspin, a little side, but the length is inconsistent. And my best pendulum serve in terms of getting free points I have no idea what exactly is on it.

Return of service/ready position-
I'm trying to correct this by studying Ma Long. I often find myself caught making a decision, largely due to a lack of reading the serve. My flick itself is pretty good, touch is decent even if i dont like doing it very long, push I'm working on making more effective but this is all more diffciult to my lack of reading serves and my positioning. I want to open up as soon as possible with my forehand but sometime over commit to that option rather than sticking with my backhand due to a lack of trust. I am looking at Ma Long ready position to counter act this, to allow myself the opportunity to take it on forehand easier but be ready for backhand.

Backhand-
Topspin to topspin is fine. However its my consistency of opening up (partly due to lack of faith in it) and missing absolute sitters that sit up with (backspin/underspin?)

Positives-

Forehand-
To be honest I'm fine with this, I've studied ma long again for this alongside zhang zike and the only things i need to watch out for is keeping my weight forward, balance steady, and allowing myself room to play it. Otherwise its pretty good. Only thing I have issue with is getting tense but I looked up these videos which explain about keeping loose all the way up until u make contact with the ball and then tensing at that exact moment which has helped.

So I know this sounds like a big ramble but this is partly because this if notes for me to keep track of plus I realise that some of these things aren't as bad as i make out and other will take time to correct. I posted this though so if anyone is able to show me clips of ma longs ready position and perhaps explain it better or point me in direction to videos or tutorials to learn similar serves to him or any forehand dominant player who looks to set themsleves up for that opening attack. For example i understand chinese typically add side to a majority of their serves to make them more difficult to return. Though to be honest if theres any good way of breaking it down so i can insure i have basics down before i progress that would be helpful as well.

Basically most of my issues resolve around those opening 3 shots. After that i can usually get in the flow and play better. I understand I'll never be a Ma Long but theres no reason why aspect of his game can't help me.

Also if anyone knows a good tutorial for chop block that would be awesome to try incorporate in the future.

I'm not gonna try learn everything at once, but just have the info here so when the time comes i can find it all in one place.

Thanks to anyone who helps

says what [IMG]
In my own experience, trying to imitate top players without having the coaching and training to supplement it will just produce a lot of delusion and false flags.

How long have you been playing? Do you have perhaps video of your game that you could share? More information can help the better players here to help you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 1 reviews
In my own experience, trying to imitate top players without having the coaching and training to supplement it will just produce a lot of delusion and false flags.

How long have you been playing? Do you have perhaps video of your game that you could share? More information can help the better players here to help you.

I've been playing for 10 years, I've represented my county at junior and cadet level and I've been part of the eastern region A squad. It's more some things in my game I feel that r holding me back and need to work on.

I understand about not imitating players cos as u say it doesn't go well. But I've always been a visual learner, so if I see someone do something that how I'll try learn it and obviously adapt it to my own ability

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Video, video and video! Posting a video is vital. Otherwise I think you should master specific shots. For example third ball attack lvl999, practice this every day (training day) for months:
Or just practice something simply with focus on ball quality. Don't just do 100000 FH loop, but try to use maximum spin, aim at the very end of the table, then try to give it more power...

I learnt everything by imitating the pros. My ex-coach didn't taught me anything, I had to learn from videos. I can't really remember how I played then (made a lot of mistakes for sure) but during the years I understand why they do what they do (not just by myself of course, online articles helped a lot) and now I successfully removed almost every mistake from my technique (I know that I have to concentrate on recovery from FH loops, but otherwise my coach (Hun. 1st league player) always praised (( This is the right word here or that sounds a little bit strong (like glorify)? )) it).
So, I warmly recommend you to imitate the pros.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
For developing the right mindset: I really like to think that there are two ways to follow: you can be a jedi or a sith (not in the positive-negative sense). A 'jedi' wants to keep calm, and he doesn't allow his feelings to control him. Waldner is the first who comes to my mind. A 'sith' uses his feelings as fuel, he try to be always on fire. Important that if you loose your head, you're a looser, not a 'sith'. Morizono Masataka is a 'sith lord' in TT.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've been playing for 10 years, I've represented my county at junior and cadet level and I've been part of the eastern region A squad. It's more some things in my game I feel that r holding me back and need to work on.

Based on this info I would say one thing that would really help you is film analysis of your own play. The more you watch match and training footage of yourself, the more you will be able to address small technical details like the ones you are referring to.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2011
Maybe try and get good quality regular practice and drills with players who are better than you or a coach who can brush up your shots and then supplement it with good quality and level practice. Try and make the game simpler for yourself if you can to start with. Try and use the good tools that you have when you are playing league matches and only pick from those tools as your first option. If you can win by playing the basics you can work on the more advanced stuff later in practice and slowly bring it in to your game. You should be consistent at blocking spin, opening topspin on both sides and serve and return drills etc. This doesn’t mean trying crazy openers etc but steady shots for your level and when you practise with better players have a set thing you want to work on and work hard. Then the shots and everything should improve but it’s not a quick fix unfortunately

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Based on this info I would say one thing that would really help you is film analysis of your own play. The more you watch match and training footage of yourself, the more you will be able to address small technical details like the ones you are referring to.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Yes. I am convinced that filming some trainings and official matches is one of the most useful tools for improvement.
When you are training and your coach tells you "Raise your arm in that stroke", and you say in your mind "What is he talking about? I am raising my arm...", you can go to your camera and then realize that you "thought" that you were raising the arm...but you actually weren't.
And in matches, you can visualize how you manage to win and lose every point. It´s good to keep a written chart of every single point with very concise description of how you won or lost: by 3rd. ball attack, punch blocking, "letting the opponent making the mistakes", etc. In that way, you can take account of what are your strenghts and weaknesses, a sort of "radiography" of your game under pressure and against different kinds of players (which cause different problems, as you can play excellent against a traditional looper, but suck against a blocker, for example).
Another tool that I think should be quite powerful (at least in theory) is what Larry Hodges calls "saturation training". Here is the link: www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/1619

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
In OP's post, it seems like you focus on your learning on a computer.
I'm afraid your will hit limitation pretty quick.

I am not saying its a bad thing, but table tennis is an extreme complicated sport.
Ma Long and ZJK's forehand for example is totally different. Who is right, who is wrong? what is right what is wrong?
What is for you and what is not for you?
No one has the answer to this

I agree on the video recording of yourself.
Study yourself more over the pros could be more beneficial should you wish to spend time on the computer