Help to improve match mentality

I've been playing table tennis for about 15 years. But I had to stop playing for about four years. About two years ago i started to playing again. The problem I have is I do very well in matches when practicing and doing drills. I hit very solid shots move around well and if a person was watching he would think i'm a very good player as i was.

But the problem occurs when i play tournaments. :confused: :confused: It's like all my talents has been locked away. i loose to players who have been playing for few months. :( i just putting ball over to other side like a little one. i miss my loops, smashes and all the good shots. If anyone been in a situation like this please tell me how you overcame it. I think it's a psychological thing and it really sucks:p

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
You shouldn't be too worried.
Many players have these kind of problems.

From my point of view you should try seeking for some mental relaxation directly before you start playing. There are various techniques for this. Listening to your favourite music, holding a meditation e.g. and so on.
Seems as if you put too much pressure on yourself. Instead of wanting to win so badly it would be more helpful to focus on EACH and EVERY single point being played to try to play it as good as you can. The winning comes by itself.
May i ask how many tournaments have you played since you returned to the game? Maybe you also should just play more.

You shouldn't be too worried.
Many players have these kind of problems.

From my point of view you should try seeking for some mental relaxation directly before you start playing. There are various techniques for this. Listening to your favourite music, holding a meditation e.g. and so on.
Seems as if you put too much pressure on yourself. Instead of wanting to win so badly it would be more helpful to focus on EACH and EVERY single point being played to try to play it as good as you can. The winning comes by itself.
May i ask how many tournaments have you played since you returned to the game? Maybe you also should just play more.
Thanks for your support. I've only played like 8 tournaments after return and all of them are university tournaments. the funny thing is i play well against good opponents rather than easy ones.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
You are very welcome. I believe we had a similar topic not too long ago.

I've found this post from OSPH here.

Hopefully it can help you a little.

albertwong8:

Excellent advice already given! I would've posted similar.

3 points not mentioned which I offer:

1) Some members advocated relaxation but didn't mention some methods on how to relax. I wrote this in another thread on some relaxation techniques that helped me.

These work for me, I offer you these in hopes it can help you or set you on a Path of Self-Discovery to see what works for you.

1. Sit and just breathe. Concentrate on the in-breath, concentrate on the out-breath. Zone out background noise, only 'hear/feel' your breath. Long deep breaths.

VARIATION: breathe in for a count of 4 (or 3 or 2 if you can't do it for 4 count long deep breaths) -hold for a count of 4 - exhale for a count of 4 - hold for a count of 4 - repeat = inhale 4/hold 4/exhale 4/hold 4

2. IIRC, this is called 'progressive relaxation'.

Relax your body by tensing each body part up, and then let go/relax. Feel that letting go after the tension, that's relaxation physically, mentally just let all thoughts go. Proceed to next body part and repeat throughout your body.

When you need to relax, recall that relaxation after the body part tensing. If you cannot get into relaxed state during TT, physically tense your body and then let go. In time, you shouldn't have to tense up to relax, you will be able to go straight to relax.

If you need to 'anchor' it to some act or thing ... if you touch your racket a certain way, or bounce the ball off the racket, or bounce ball off the floor, or think of a word and associate it with the relaxed state, or a routine of a few motions and/or coupled with the 'trigger word'.

Personally, before a serve, i hunched my shoulders up to tense up, then exhale and unhunch my shoulders simulataneously, bounce the ball off the floor 2x and then serve. I can't get into a relaxed state right off the bat. Still need to physically tense up. Sometimes I just breathe in/out with 2 long breaths.

3. Close your eyes, visualize/recall pleasant times or a beautiful scene... mountains, fields, waterfall, virgin snow, good beer/drink, good food, sharing intimate moment with loved one, recall childhood vacation, etc. Feel how happy you are in that visualized/recalled scene. Feel relaxed.

At some point, you don't have to close your eyes, you should be able to get into that relaxed state.

Truly hope these helps.

EDIT: Baseball players have a whole routine, generally tar the bat, loosen/tighten their batting gloves, take a few swings then approach the batter's box ... once in, dig in and it's on

Basketball players before foul shots will bounce the ball a few times, look up at the basket, etc.

You get the idea.... good luck in finding what works for you.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR]2) "Success breeds confidence and confidence breeds success."

Do you have a high percentage serve and/or high percentage 3rd ball attack? Go for it! An example: I like to smash and have a decent side-top serve... my partners sometime pops up the ball. If the ball doesn't ball fly out, i followup with my high percentage smash.

This is a double-edged sword though... as you are using what is in all likelihood your strongest attack and if it doesn't score for you, you may get disheartened. Which leads me to tip #3.

3) Focus on the here and now. Don't dwell on lost points. Do not put yourself into a downward spiral. Play one point at a time. Have confidence in yourself, after all, if you doubt yourself, you have one more Opponent to overcome.
I close with a Lesson from my martial arts instructor:

Parable of the Cherry (for first time fighters, either before or after they fight)
The three questions:

1) Do you remember the first time you had sex?

2) Were you any good at it?

3) Have you gotten better since then?

Question 3 means in time you will have more experience and will improve. Everyone starts mostly as inexperienced beginners and through dedicated training and playing one will improve.

Good luck and have Fun in your TT training! Truly HTH!!

~osph

If you wanna read through the whole thread with its many great posts, here's a link:

https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?14082-League-game-problem-help-pls!

Have a good one, mate
[emoji106]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I've been playing table tennis for about 15 years. But I had to stop playing for about four years. About two years ago i started to playing again. The problem I have is I do very well in matches when practicing and doing drills. I hit very solid shots move around well and if a person was watching he would think i'm a very good player as i was.

But the problem occurs when i play tournaments. :confused: :confused: It's like all my talents has been locked away. i loose to players who have been playing for few months. :( i just putting ball over to other side like a little one. i miss my loops, smashes and all the good shots. If anyone been in a situation like this please tell me how you overcame it. I think it's a psychological thing and it really sucks:p

soundslikemme

Reactions: Tharindu Manawadu
This user has no status.
this sounds like two different problems. the first one being that you are still not back to where you were four years ago. you came back and probably started practicing with good players who feed you certain types of shots, but when you play someone who feeds you different shots (less speed, less spin, weird technique that makes it hard for you to anticipate placement) you are back to "i haven't played for the last four years".

the second problem is your mental state. the self imposed pressure to win can elevate anxiety levels to a point that you get trembling hands, your muscles tense up, your reaction time slows down and you get tunnel vision. there are various techniques to try to overcome this problem, like progressive relaxation and controling your breathing...

for me none of these techniques have proven very effective, i've only managed to overcome my performance anxiety once i've started actively thinking about unwanted scenarios and making my peace with them. all the psychology books tell you to "visualize the positive outcome" and "not think about the negative", but for me this only raises the pressure to win and doesn't address the fear of losing but rather pretends it's not there. so for me, the exact opposite works: visualizing defeat and what comes with it makes me come to terms with that scenario, relieves the pressure and lets me play my best game.

so yes, i actively think about losing in order to win. :D not saying you should do it, just saying you have to find your own way. it took me around a decade of competing and trying to find a solution (a decade of underperforming, yes, so be patient) to find mine.

Last edited:
soundslikemme
I-know-that-feel-bro-blank.jpg

this sounds like two different problems. the first one being that you are still not back to where you were four years ago. you came back and probably started practicing with good players who feed you certain types of shots, but when you play someone who feeds you different shots (less speed, less spin, weird technique that makes it hard for you to anticipate placement) you are back to "i haven't played for the last four years".

the second problem is your mental state. the self imposed pressure to win can elevate anxiety levels to a point that you get trembling hands, your muscles tense up, your reaction time slows down and you get tunnel vision. there are various techniques to try to overcome this problem, like progressive relaxation and controling your breathing...

for me none of these techniques have proven very effective, i've only managed to overcome my performance anxiety once i've started actively thinking about unwanted scenarios and making my peace with them. all the psychology books tell you to "visualize the positive outcome" and "not think about the negative", but for me this only raises the pressure to win and doesn't address the fear of losing but rather pretends it's not there. so for me, the exact opposite works: visualizing defeat and what comes with it makes me come to terms with that scenario, relieves the pressure and lets me play my best game.

so yes, i actively think about losing in order to win. :D not saying you should do it, just saying you have to find your own way. it took me around a decade of competing and trying to find a solution (a decade of underperforming, yes, so be patient) to find mine.

already in the phase of making peace with loosing even before getting to know who my opponent is:D. the thing is i do very well in multi balls, drills and things like that. i do ok in practice matches ( but still not happy with the performance ) . then the tournaments. :D people think i started last month to play. Its soo depressing its like all your talent has been locked away and you have to find a way to unleash the beast. but still haven't found a way :(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

Outstanding post, Sir!
I like your approach. Might even try it one day myself.

already in the phase of making peace with loosing even before getting to know who my opponent is:D. the thing is i do very well in multi balls, drills and things like that. i do ok in practice matches ( but still not happy with the performance ) . then the tournaments. :D people think i started last month to play. Its soo depressing its like all your talent has been locked away and you have to find a way to unleash the beast. but still haven't found a way :(

Don't give up and keep playing. That issue's very common.
Best thing to do is try out different techniques. Personally i love listening to some uplifting Reggae Music before matches. Gives me the right mindset.
[Emoji2]

Whenever I'm tense before big match I just pop to the loo. Relaxation is guaranteed.

Whatever helps, mate
[Emoji16]

Reactions: Tharindu Manawadu
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There are a lot of interesting issues here - may come back later to contribute when I have time to discuss deeper. I think izra's point is important that negative thinking is not necessarily negative - there is a book on it call "the power of negative thinking". I just think that everyone has a proper activation level and you need to find it.

The issue of playing well in practice but not in matches is about a lot of things but in addition to what izra said, I would like to point out that tournaments are not practice and that the pressure to perform often leads to all kinds of bad responses. But even performing well in practice - what kind of pressure level do you put on yourself in practice? What I find is that many people practice in a way that makes them unable to function in matches - they practice too hard. You really need to take a relaxed approach to every point in practice - you have to have zen approach to table tennis in general. Trust the body to do and it shall do. If you try to make it do, you may end up sa-botaging its efforts to do.

Finally, some people play tournaments with the mindset that the opponent does not have a right to make good shots. This will make you try to play so well that the opponent does not even touch the ball. This is a mistake. Table tennis is a dance and to play well, your opponent has to play well enough to make you look good. And if you make a good shot, your opponent has every right to make a better shot. Just make good shots and accept that if your opponent makes better shots against your chosen strategy, he has a right to win. When playing good players, losing is always on the table, even if you play your best table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
There are a lot of interesting issues here - may come back later to contribute when I have time to discuss deeper. I think izra's point is important that negative thinking is not necessarily negative - there is a book on it call "the power of negative thinking". I just think that everyone has a proper activation level and you need to find it.

The issue of playing well in practice but not in matches is about a lot of things but in addition to what izra said, I would like to point out that tournaments are not practice and that the pressure to perform often leads to all kinds of bad responses. But even performing well in practice - what kind of pressure level do you put on yourself in practice? What I find is that many people practice in a way that makes them unable to function in matches - they practice too hard. You really need to take a relaxed approach to every point in practice - you have to have zen approach to table tennis in general. Trust the body to do and it shall do. If you try to make it do, you may end up sa-botaging its efforts to do.

Finally, some people play tournaments with the mindset that the opponent does not have a right to make good shots. This will make you try to play so well that the opponent does not even touch the ball. This is a mistake. Table tennis is a dance and to play well, your opponent has to play well enough to make you look good. And if you make a good shot, your opponent has every right to make a better shot. Just make good shots and accept that if your opponent makes better shots against your chosen strategy, he has a right to win. When playing good players, losing is always on the table, even if you play your best table tennis.

I salute to your post.
Good one
[Emoji106]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
My post from another thread:
I really like to think that there are two ways to follow: you can be a jedi or a sith (not in the positive-negative sense). A 'jedi' wants to keep calm, and he doesn't allow his feelings to control him. Waldner is the first who comes to my mind. A 'sith' uses his feelings as fuel, he try to be always on fire. Important that if you loose your head, you're a looser, not a 'sith'. Morizono Masataka is a 'sith lord' in TT.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
i do ok in practice matches ( but still not happy with the performance ) . then the tournaments. :D people think i started last month to play.

Yeah, to me it sounds like OP also needs to practice game simulation drills and play a lot more matches. Many many many more matches.

Multiball often does not have much to do with what happens in a match. In a match you have to learn how to set yourself up for good attacks and taking control of points. But your opponent will also be trying to do that to you.

Those skills of getting your opponent to set you up and not setting your opponent up, are things you need to get used to doing. So match play and game strategy are important. Particularly when your fundamental technique is solid but you don't get to utilize it well enough in match play.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Part of what people attribute to "match mentality" is surprisingly often really just technical deficiencies in one's game which cause shots to break down under the stress of unfamiliarity and unpredictability. In a tournament -- maybe in a new building on different tables, against unfamiliar opponents -- unpredictability is maximized. Guys you play who may not look that polished may at least be able to be consistent in their awkwardness; and the things they can do, while maybe limited, are at least reliable, but they may still seem pretty strange to you. They may have limited skills but the ones they have are well honed over time.

Coming back after a long layoff, everything is going to be a bit wobbly when you are under duress, even if your game is built on pretty solid fundamentals. This is not because you are crazy or weak, it is because you have technical issues, probably many of them. In statistical terms, I like to think of it as too many degrees of freedom. It is probably going to take a bit of time to build back the precision you need to play well in close matches. One thing you need to make sure to do is to have a lot of random unpredictable elements built into technical practice. And make sure you are practicing all the elements of the game, not just the parts that are more fun. Of course, a lot of what other people are advising is true too.

My purpose in this comment is to help you realize you are not some sort of "head case" who is mentally weak and that there is a pathway out of your current situation.

It is true that some athletes are unusually great under pressure. A lot of the time, though these are people who fundamentally really really sound.

Outstanding post, Sir!
I like your approach. Might even try it one day myself.

Don't give up and keep playing. That issue's very common.
Best thing to do is try out different techniques. Personally i love listening to some uplifting Reggae Music before matches. Gives me the right mindset.
[Emoji2]

Whatever helps, mate
[Emoji16]

you really look like a reggae guy

Reactions: Suga D

The last part about trying to play so well, i got it tooo trying to change that thank you for your comment