Help to improve match mentality

My post from another thread:

I had a tournament on last weekend and i tried both the sith and jedi and i think jedi suites me be better. other thing is in my opinion my fitness is not good enough to be a sith and i like playing like waldner

Reactions: Suga D
Yeah, to me it sounds like OP also needs to practice game simulation drills and play a lot more matches. Many many many more matches.

Multiball often does not have much to do with what happens in a match. In a match you have to learn how to set yourself up for good attacks and taking control of points. But your opponent will also be trying to do that to you.

Those skills of getting your opponent to set you up and not setting your opponent up, are things you need to get used to doing. So match play and game strategy are important. Particularly when your fundamental technique is solid but you don't get to utilize it well enough in match play.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

I'm gonna play more tournaments and get comfortable with utilizing my arsenal of 16yrs of experience. :cool: thank you

Part of what people attribute to "match mentality" is surprisingly often really just technical deficiencies in one's game which cause shots to break down under the stress of unfamiliarity and unpredictability. In a tournament -- maybe in a new building on different tables, against unfamiliar opponents -- unpredictability is maximized. Guys you play who may not look that polished may at least be able to be consistent in their awkwardness; and the things they can do, while maybe limited, are at least reliable, but they may still seem pretty strange to you. They may have limited skills but the ones they have are well honed over time.

Coming back after a long layoff, everything is going to be a bit wobbly when you are under duress, even if your game is built on pretty solid fundamentals. This is not because you are crazy or weak, it is because you have technical issues, probably many of them. In statistical terms, I like to think of it as too many degrees of freedom. It is probably going to take a bit of time to build back the precision you need to play well in close matches. One thing you need to make sure to do is to have a lot of random unpredictable elements built into technical practice. And make sure you are practicing all the elements of the game, not just the parts that are more fun. Of course, a lot of what other people are advising is true too.

My purpose in this comment is to help you realize you are not some sort of "head case" who is mentally weak and that there is a pathway out of your current situation.

It is true that some athletes are unusually great under pressure. A lot of the time, though these are people who fundamentally really really sound.

A huge part of my game is build on unpredictability. I Should adapt to keep the unpredictability under pressure. thank you for your support. :cool:

Good thoughts I feel. (going to try the make peace with losing one). Check out the inner game of tennis book. Some good ideas to try there. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i will for sure because i'm more of a tactical player. currrently im reading table tennis tactics for thinkers by larry hodges its good

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Whenever I start losing my focus I try to focus on how the person I'm playing is returning my shots, doing that along with visualizing myself attacking or serving the ball just right helps me get back into a positive state of mind in order to start playing better. It is also better to focus on winning points than worrying about the outcome of the game:)

Reactions: Tharindu Manawadu
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
When it comes to winning, always put the opponent in low regard, regardless of him/her being better/poor than you.

The only mistake one can do is to give respect to your opponent before play, this automatically puts you in disadvantage for submitting to Authority.

Whether it is Ma long or beer pong, you only lose only after you lose not before the match

Edit: These time-tested words helps me in all competitive scenes, "Mo********r, I m gonna choke you today"

Last edited:
Reactions: Tharindu Manawadu
Hahaha, you mean that profile pic?
[Emoji23]
That's not me, that's an old photo of Bob Marley.
I look slightly different. On my Instagram you can see pics of me..

Maybe i should change the pic, though...
I thought it was you:cool:, by the way what's your name on facebook

Whenever I start losing my focus I try to focus on how the person I'm playing is returning my shots, doing that along with visualizing myself attacking or serving the ball just right helps me get back into a positive state of mind in order to start playing better. It is also better to focus on winning points than worrying about the outcome of the game:)
Thank you mate, i will definitely try that

When it comes to winning, always put the opponent in low regard, regardless of him/her being better/poor than you.

The only mistake one can do is to give respect to your opponent before play, this automatically puts you in disadvantage for submitting to Authority.

Whether it is Ma long or beer pong, you only lose only after you lose not before the match

Edit: These time-tested words helps me in all competitive scenes, "Mo********r, I m gonna choke you today"

Thank you for your reply, but have seen many better players loose to lesser players because they didn't took thaem seriously they play the first set in a very lazy manner and loose then they loose the second set because they are still trying to warm up and get in the zone by the time game comes to third set the pressure is too much for them

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Thank you for your reply, but have seen many better players loose to lesser players because they didn't took thaem seriously they play the first set in a very lazy manner and loose then they loose the second set because they are still trying to warm up and get in the zone by the time game comes to third set the pressure is too much for them

Yes,one looses when one doesn't take their opponents seriously. You know Anderson Silva, the greatest of all time light heavyweight MMA champion. He fooled around with his opponent chris Weidman, lost his title and to never get it back. If I am not wrong, he has the longest reign as a world champion and this stunt brought him to abyss.

Warming up has got a lot to do with Biology and conditioning. Zhang Jike, Boll take few sets to reach their peak. Ma long explodes like a Grenad from first ball.
In chess, Boris Gelfand takes a ****ing lot of time to come with good moves and at end plays great with less time

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi