Jan Ove Waldner mobbed by fans in CHINA!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Here's a brilliant video to demonstrate Jan Ove Waldner's popularity in China. As he walks through China during an interview, people of the general public begin to take photos of the mozart of table tennis!

You can see Waldner's fun personality in this video also especially during the around the table match towards the end of the video :)

Enjoy.

From 29.45:

This user has no status.
Why not as he won the Olympics gold, and he was one of foreigners to fight against Chinese domination that time or he managed to defeat them or some, in fact i don't see some others even in videos who did that rather than him, Ma Lin was a very offensive player and also Wang Hao was an icon that time too, but JOW was among them.

I will keep watching his videos because you really enjoyed watching the real TT, even i watch JSH more than top Chinese players.

This user has no status.
For those of you that don't speak Swedish, here are some quick notes:
JO talks about the impact on the game from wind, heat and humiditiy. He describes how he always tried to understand how the air-condition was working in the competition halls so that he could choose the right side if his opponent won the serve in the toss. He wanted to start against the wind so that he could get short serves easier and could hit harder without missing the table in the early rounds of the game.

The other Swedish guy is Gunde Svan, ex world and olympic champion in (cross-country) skiing, nowadays hosting his own TV-shows. I seem to remember that in the original show JO tells him that the crowd believes that Gunde is actually Jörgen Persson. :)

Last edited: