Weird playing style

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I am only a 1650 to 1700 ttr chump fat American 50s yr old joker.

almost like you, but i'm 1350-1400. (ok, ok, 1980's 1400, and i didn't play enough tournaments, so i may be overrated even!)

Yet, I also realize many adults train decades and never make it past 1200 or 1300 ttr, so NL is keeping it real.

seriously, i don't know what level i am, i play so inconsistent... the same easy shots i make in a game will be the same easy shots i miss in that same game

but due to old man memory, i wonder how i got to some level i got to given the little formal coaching i had, and the less than serious training time i put in when i was way younger ... plus i don't have decades training to boot

then factor in 30+ yrs hiatus, i wonder why it's almost like riding a bike, you don't forget, would think i shouldn't be playing some semblance of my game from way back when

so i'm thankful i'm a decent level and having fun, looking towards self-perfection

wins and losses are inconsequential... i may never beat you in a match, but i MUST perfect my hold my hands over my ears and hum as loudly as i can to block out your jedi mind tricks! if i can perfect that technique, i will be ecstatic!

Reactions: Suga D
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
1200-1300 TTR in Germany is like 1500-1600s in USATT, many adults never make it past that no matter how they try. Some adults make 200s, but very few do it. It is achieveable. Even fewer make it to 2150+ level starting as a 40 yr old, prolly been done before, but it has gotta be damned rare.

OSPH could make a 1700 rating if he did a tourney or two.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
There was even a rematch. The pips and aspects of this 2300 guy's game are under rated. A two winged attacking looper would likely do much better against him because he would probably make the guy back up and chop more often. But our weird guy blocks too much to challenge him and the pips often neutralized those serves.

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Qun Zhang had less trouble in the second challenge. He was in control pretty much the whole time. But the first match was close in the first two games till it got to 8-8 and the third game went to deuce after Qun Zhang seemed to be taking control.

And as far as I am concerned, for a guy in the 2100 range to play that well against two players in the 2300 range (first challenge match vs Qun Zhang not the second) is still pretty good. He is a fighter.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy