Weird playing style

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
I think the guy certainly is a player type that likes to irritate his opponent. Hence the bat flipping thing.

I don't think it probably bothers the serve much since you're looking at the ball and what you're doing during your serve.

I just want to so badly see him drop his paddle just once while a ball is being served to him so he can look like an @$$. There's no way it hasn't happened at least a few times in his playing career.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
The service does not commence with the ball resting on a stationary hand (2.06.01).
The ball is over the table when he commences to throw it up (2.06.04).
With the reverse pendulum serve he possibly does not move his arm sufficiently from the space between the ball and the net (2.06.05).
With his tomahawk serves (see second serve of the first game) it could be argued that the toss is not near vertical as he strikes the ball from well behind the service line (2.06.02).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2014
The other guy is better but less experienced, his forehand direction is being read too easily on his body, he just needs a bit more pretending on his body form to be planning a parelel or crossed top spin and change in the last second. He has the time because he knows the other guy is passively blocking, so a lot of spin and a bit higher arc and a bit of more angled top spins to the sides and you can NOT follow your oponent forever the whole table with the backhand.

Reactions: massa
says Aging is a killer
The service does not commence with the ball resting on a stationary hand (2.06.01).
The ball is over the table when he commences to throw it up (2.06.04).
With the reverse pendulum serve he possibly does not move his arm sufficiently from the space between the ball and the net (2.06.05).
With his tomahawk serves (see second serve of the first game) it could be argued that the toss is not near vertical as he strikes the ball from well behind the service line (2.06.02).
Yes to the first two. Maybe a picky umpire would fault the arm. But my 3rd would be tossing from the fingers not the palm. In fact it almost appears that he is flicking the ball thus imparting spin.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Yes Tinykin you are right about him tossing the ball from the fingers rather than the palm of the hand. Rather than immediately calling a fault for this discretion in isolation I would think an umpire would apply Regulation 2.06.06.01 and issue a warning for the first instance. For my suggested violations of not removing the arm or tossing the ball vertically, international umpires rarely call these and if they do it is a warning only for the first instance. Throwing the ball backwards onto the racket enables a player to get more spin on their service. This is why the vertical toss rule exists but no one seems to take any notice of it.

Apart from that he has a very effective game and it took a very good player to beat him. I would definitely struggle against him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
In any case, most people will not be able to beat this guy with a lifetime of training.

Sorry NL, but this sounds totally exaggerated and kinda farfetched to me.

I really don't want to belittle his playing abilities, but if we're just going from the rating and translate it to german TTR then he would be something around 1800 TTR. To be fair let's add another few more points and say he's 1850 TTR which would be somewhat between Bezirksliga and Hessenliga, where many elder players have an unorthodox style, which would be playing still pretty good, maybe even a little above average, but not much more.

That rating wouldn't be enough to be in the Top 2800 players in germany. So at least 2800 (!!!) have a higher rating. Two thousand eight hundred!

According to German TTR Ranking No# 2801 is Daniel Schäfer with a scoring of 1851 TTR points...
Here's 'evidence' to back up my claims.

Screenshot_20161123-184245.jpg

I understand that you respect having him reached such a high level with his unorthodox playstyle, but please don't make him better than he really is... You're just not doing a favour to anyone by saying that. Not to upcoming youngsters, and also not to him, 'cause a lot of people will be even more motivated to beat him.

Nevertheless he's still quite good!

PLUS: I think it's not very motivating for a young player to hear stuff like: "you can practice all your life and still never reach the level like Dude with that funny style... Especially when it's just not true.

Sorry mate, just my 2 ¢

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Sorry NL, but this sounds totally exaggerated and kinda farfetched to me.

I really don't want to belittle his playing abilities, but if we're just going from the rating and translate it to german TTR then he would be something around 1800 TTR. To be fair let's add another few more points and say he's 1850 TTR which would be somewhat between Bezirksliga and Hessenliga, where many elder players have an unorthodox style, which would be playing still pretty good, maybe even a little above average, but not much more.

That rating wouldn't be enough to be in the Top 2800 players in germany. So at least 2800 (!!!) have a higher rating. Two thousand eight hundred!

According to German TTR Ranking No# 2801 is Daniel Schäfer with a scoring of 1851 TTR points...
Here's 'evidence' to back up my claims.

View attachment 11393

I understand that you respect having him reached such a high level with his unorthodox playstyle, but please don't make him better than he really is... You're just not doing a favour to anyone by saying that. Not to upcoming youngsters, and also not to him, 'cause a lot of people will be even more motivated to beat him.

Nevertheless he's still quite good!

PLUS: I think it's not very motivating for a young player to hear stuff like: "you can practice all your life and still never reach the level like Dude with that funny style... Especially when it's just not true.

Sorry mate, just my 2 ¢

2801 out of how many registered players? Are there more players below or above him? If you coach people, you will realize that people who tend to play and train are the ones that don't give up and love the sport. And many of them do not break 1800, talk less of 2200.

I am not posting for kids. I am posting for grown adults who realize that having limitations in life is a reality. I play better than many people who trained as kids but just never really fell in love with the sport. So yes, it is possible to train and play your whole life and not be good at table tennis. Just facts. No fiction. It's just that the people who tend to do so tend to be good at the sport and enjoy it, so they stand out. It's no different from saying that some people will go to work every day for their whole life and will never be millionaires. Sad but true. No fiction.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
2801 out of how many registered players? Are there more players below or above him? If you coach people, you will realize that people who tend to play and train are the ones that don't give up and love the sport. And many of them do not break 1800, talk less of 2200.

Ok, i can agree that 2801 is definitely not the majority of players in germany. But i think it's quite a large number, and this will lead to my next point...

I am not posting for kids. I am posting for grown adults who realize that having limitations in life is a reality. I play better than many people who trained as kids but just never really fell in love with the sport. So yes, it is possible to train and play your whole life and not be good at table tennis. Just facts. No fiction. It's just that the people who tend to do so tend to be good at the sport and enjoy it, so they stand out. It's no different from saying that some people will go to work every day for their whole life and will never be millionaires. Sad but true. No fiction.

Ok accepted, but then let me try to be the voice for the youth:
I believe a kid maybe around 14 years old that get's A-class coaching [highest coaching license in Germany] by for instance Helmut Hampl should certainly be able to beat the guy after maybe 3 - 5 years of that high-level coaching IMHO...
[EDIT: would be interesting to know what you National coach Stefan Feth thinks of my thesis]

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok, i can agree that 2801 is definitely not the majority of players in germany. But i think it's quite a large number, and this will lead to my next point...

Ok accepted, but then let me try to be the voice for the youth:
I believe a kid maybe around 14 years old that get's A-class coaching [highest coaching license in Germany] by for instance Helmut Hampl should certainly be able to beat the guy after maybe 3 - 4 years of that high-level coaching IMHO...

Sure. And I believe some kids will not be able to if they do the same either. If we pick 10 random kids, my opinion is that less than 5 will do it. People underestimate the importance of reading and creating tricky spins in this game. It is not trivial.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Sure. And I believe some kids will not be able to if they do the same either. If we pick 10 random kids, my opinion is that less than 5 will do it. People underestimate the importance of reading and creating tricky spins in this game. It is not trivial.

That number could really be true. But if we pick 10 determined, disciplinned and focussed young players that want to develop it will be a different thing.[I'm aware that those are very rare though]
I think if well coached they will adapt, and Most likely much quicker than Adults.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think the merit of what NL is arguing is that many of us on the forum could train and not reach mid 2100s.

I believe that to be true with my eyes over time.

Still, as Sugar argues, there is a chance. I was 1000 ttr est. when I started. Bogeyhunter, our CEO, was 1900ish or 1600 ttc when he showed me some things about serve. I thought I might never as an adult starting at 40s age could approach his level.

7 yrs later I did... and was still unhappy with my level. I believe if I can better stay on balance, make better position recovery and shot decisions, I reckon I could go up 2 or 3 levels more to a level higher than our lucas in the video. I have the offense and defense, yet haven't strung enough of the fundamentals together. I am only a 1650 to 1700 ttr chump fat American 50s yr old joker.

So... that is why I believe there is still possibility. Yet, I also realize many adults train decades and never make it past 1200 or 1300 ttr, so NL is keeping it real.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Last edited: