Recommend a blade/rubber combo to a beginner

I'd highly recommend focus iii snipe for backhand. I'm at a level where I could upgrade but seeing as it's so cheap, I'm sticking with it for a while. It's very soft and light, and has a lot of spin without being too fast. You might want to think now about whether you want Chinese tackies or not on the fh. It's hard to play with in the beginning, but switching to them later on can be tricky apparently. Just look at dima hehe

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Suga,

Sure, that's what I reckoned too. I read the same thing on other forums as well. What mm would you recommend then?

Many people value control on the BH, so IMHO just go for max. on FH and 1.9 on BH. Max is in most cases 2.1mm or 2.2mm [this can vary a little from company to company and from rubber to rubber]
Due to ITTF regulations sponge and rubber are not allowed to be thicker than 4mm in total anyway.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Cool! So max on forehand, 1.9 on backhand. I take it the less sponge the better the control?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I would not get caught dead playing with 1.9 thickness or even recommending 1.9 to anyone except a chopper on the chopping side of the blade. I would say go max thickness right away and start learning. That is only my personal opinion and approach to teaching TT. My approach is in direct conflict with the prevailing "Pundit Coach" approach which is slow it down to middle ALL and THIN allround classic rubbers. The pundit approach works and it is time proven, but I am absolutely believing it isn't the only way and I see with my own eyes.
I think it all comes down to the student or the person you give advice to. More often than not we have no clue how advanced the person looking for advice is or how developed his technique is, all we can do is take the posters word for what he says, so the advice given tend to be generic.

I think the generic answer probably works best for most players, but your way of thinking will work for other players. There's no real right or wrong. It's up to the person and his willingness to train, adapt and learn.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Read 10 reviews
I started learning by using wooden blades.Some of my friends who are selling table tennis equipments recommend peter korbel,stiga energy wood,clipper wood for beginners.As for rubbers maybe 1.5mm thickness for more control and allround play.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I think most would agree with wooden blades but i started with stiga optimum carbo and could adapt fairly well after few months of practice.