The All Time Greatest

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
LOL :D .... you cracked me up NL ...

OP ... lets just say Kreanga has a unique backhand and chooses to use it because his forehand is not that powerful at that level ....

now coming back to backhand ... and similar to how "Ma Long is the greatest player" because of the obvious reasons I mentioned in my first post , the greatest backhand is from FZD .... ZJK has more variety and confidence because obviously he has practiced it a few thousand hours more but FZD is the first player who has successfully married the close to the table , off the bounce backhand with the other ones ... mid distance or far from the table .... with ZJK you see that because the master that he is he can execute his close to the table technique even from a little far but Obtcharov was able to go a little back and overpower him with his strong mid distance backhands ...

I mean - it's taking a lot away from Kreanga to say that his forehand isn't that powerful when he has a world championship bronze medal to his name :D

I think all the players mentioned in this thread are great in their own way, as well as many who haven't been mentioned :) it's an interesting discussion and it's nice to hear everyone's different point of view on the topic.

It will be interesting to see how the road goes in the few years time - whether FZD lives up to all the hype and etches his name onto the list of grand slam winners/greatest players or if a new challenger emerges :D

Reactions: Yecats Encerwal
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I have avoided the topic until now because I consider it a waste of time usually and the player I would pick is Ma Long.

People should note that there was a period in China where they had good/strong shakehand inverted loopers but kept them under wraps. Wang Liqin actually was also held back in many matches/events in the late 90s/early 2000s for the usual reasons that China has despite being their best player in many ways.

Also, when Ma Long and Zhang Jike were coming up, they were called the special generation. Of course, we are only seeing how special they are now, but my point is that this might not happen as often as we think. Their dominance is truly something to behold, though as special as they were, it wouldn't surprise me to see FZD winning everything in sight for a few years.

Hey NL,

Was just wondering why you think that WLQ was held back in the late 90s/early 2000s? To my knowledge it was only twards the end of Waldner's international career that he had struggles in playing WLQ and in that fateful 2000 team final, China fielded a team comprising the reigning Olympic and World champion, (LGL) as well as the player who would go on to win the Olympics that same year (Kong Linghui) - the third player was Liu Guozheng who whilst debatably not as good as WLQ at the time, comfortably won his match vs Peter Karlsson in the final.

Liu G.Z. and Kong Linghui were both shakehand inverted loopers, so I am not sure who you are referring to when you say they had a bunch of these players that were kept under wraps.

The Chinese were not 'hiding' WLQ in that final - they just had players that were better than him that they could pick for the number one and two positions, and ultimately the third player in that final changing wouldn't have made much difference.

In terms of Ma Long and Zhang Jike, I think they are very impressive athletes; athletes who have also benefitted from a relative lack of fresh (being the key word) outside challenge from other countries.

Look at the main players who have been competing with ML and ZJK over the last 10 years. Then compare them to the players competing with the previous generation (playing vs Wang Hao, WLQ, Ma Lin, etc). A lot of them are the same (Timo, Vladi, the old guard Koreans, etc)...so whilst their dominance recently has been very impressive, I think it is just a shame that there haven't really been a large amount of fresh challengers to face them; their main challengers have all been players who the Chinese were very familiar with and ultimately faded as a threat over time (Joo Se Hyuk is a prime example of this).

Hopefully with the transition from ML, ZJK and XX to Fan Zhendong and whoever he brings with him, some new challengers from other countries may now emerge.

Sorry for writing you an essay! :D

This user has no status.
Hey NL,

Was just wondering why you think that WLQ was held back in the late 90s/early 2000s? To my knowledge it was only twards the end of Waldner's international career that he had struggles in playing WLQ and in that fateful 2000 team final, China fielded a team comprising the reigning Olympic and World champion, (LGL) as well as the player who would go on to win the Olympics that same year (Kong Linghui) - the third player was Liu Guozheng who whilst debatably not as good as WLQ at the time, comfortably won his match vs Peter Karlsson in the final.

Liu G.Z. and Kong Linghui were both shakehand inverted loopers, so I am not sure who you are referring to when you say they had a bunch of these players that were kept under wraps.

The Chinese were not 'hiding' WLQ in that final - they just had players that were better than him that they could pick for the number one and two positions, and ultimately the third player in that final changing wouldn't have made much difference.

In terms of Ma Long and Zhang Jike, I think they are very impressive athletes; athletes who have also benefitted from a relative lack of fresh (being the key word) outside challenge from other countries.

Look at the main players who have been competing with ML and ZJK over the last 10 years. Then compare them to the players competing with the previous generation (playing vs Wang Hao, WLQ, Ma Lin, etc). A lot of them are the same (Timo, Vladi, the old guard Koreans, etc)...so whilst their dominance recently has been very impressive, I think it is just a shame that there haven't really been a large amount of fresh challengers to face them; their main challengers have all been players who the Chinese were very familiar with and ultimately faded as a threat over time (Joo Se Hyuk is a prime example of this).

Hopefully with the transition from ML, ZJK and XX to Fan Zhendong and whoever he brings with him, some new challengers from other countries may now emerge.

You are making a very good point. The competition was much harder 10 years ago. It was way more refreshing seeing the occasional 1 place in major tournaments go to Korea, Sweden, Germany, Austria, Croatia, France ... World table tennis really needs some new fresh talent outside of China to shake things up. Like Waldner usually points out, the players need to start thinking creatively and stop trying to beat the Chinese with the same play style the Chinese already excel in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Again .. you are making the same mistake as the OP when you are trying to compare ... winning the world championship bronze medal does not gurantee he has a the best backhand or a great forehand ... all it says is that he was able to execute his winning strategies against his opponents in that tournament ....

I mean - it's taking a lot away from Kreanga to say that his forehand isn't that powerful when he has a world championship bronze medal to his name :D

I think all the players mentioned in this thread are great in their own way, as well as many who haven't been mentioned :) it's an interesting discussion and it's nice to hear everyone's different point of view on the topic.

It will be interesting to see how the road goes in the few years time - whether FZD lives up to all the hype and etches his name onto the list of grand slam winners/greatest players or if a new challenger emerges :D

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Again .. you are making the same mistake as the OP when you are trying to compare ... winning the world championship bronze medal does not gurantee he has a the best backhand or a great forehand ... all it says is that he was able to execute his winning strategies against his opponents in that tournament ....

All I was saying was that it's a bit off to say Kreanga's forehand isn't that good when he has found success in such a large tournament. It may not be the best forehand - far from it - but it's certainly not a weak stroke, as he's demonstrated in the past.

I never said he had the best backhand either - sorry if I caused confusion with my tone though :)

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
All I was saying was that it's a bit off to say Kreanga's forehand isn't that good when he has found success in such a large tournament. It may not be the best forehand - far from it - but it's certainly not a weak stroke, as he's demonstrated in the past.

I never said he had the best backhand either - sorry if I caused confusion with my tone though :)

That's an interesting point.

I believe his forehand is still good enough to blow most forum members
[EDIT:certainly including myself] off the table...

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I am not saying that his forehand isn't good .. I said his backhand is way more powerful , consistent and varied than his forehand and that is his weapon because it can surprise a lot of people with what it can do ... however, if you look carefully his forehand , the technique is not as modern as the latest generation players and so when he goes up forehand to forehand against these players it breaks down sooner ... of course like everybody else he keeps working on stuff that he needs to improve and you can see that he keeps working on his forehand ...

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hey NL,

You can look at WLQ's ranking and the events he participated in over the same period. He was not in the Olympics, for example, though he was the #1 player.

I am actually going back as far as 1987. Chen Yinghua said he used to beat Jiang Jialiang in practice very often - the best Chinese players internally were shakehand loopers modeled on Europeans, not pips-out penholders, yet pips out penholders were playing most tournaments.

http://www.masatenisi.org/english/secrets.htm

That is a matter of opinion.

Thanks for the essay - it's good to share perspectives.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I am actually going back as far as 1987. Chen Yinghua said he used to beat Jiang Jialiang in practice very often - the best Chinese players internally were shakehand loopers modeled on Europeans, not pips-out penholders, yet pips out penholders were playing most tournaments.

http://www.masatenisi.org/english/secrets.htm

That's quite interesting. Thanks for pointing this out and also thanks for sharing that link.
It must have been a complete change in strategy though, 'cause until 1983 Guo Yuehua was actually in National lead. Having won the worldchampionships twice in a row (1981 & 1983) and totally dominated also in Doubles and Mixed Doubles.
And he was considered as the symbol (for many players in germany) what was understood as the typical chinese style master using sticky PF4 on a one sided TPH blade.
[Sorry, pretty much cliche and i couldn't find any better describtion for this)
Hence my very first own blade was a preassembled from China with two sticky red rubbers on an offensive 7ply blade with a conical handle...
[Emoji12]
He even played one year in TTBL (to that time called Tischtennis Bundesliga) for SSV Reutlingen.

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guo_Yuehua

He once even was on a german tv-sportsshow back then. He gave a blade and a pair of rubbers to the host. Unfortunately the host was quite uneducated in terms of tabletennis and was joking about that the blade wasn't assembled yet, which wasn't (in the Hosts opinion) usual in germany. (Maybe on hobby-level)

Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I also pointed out that China actually sent a player [KONG LINGHUI] to SWEDEN in the 1990s to learn the style that was beating them. The Great Kong Linghui, the big Chinese Shakehand player. Why else would China send a player to learn from Sweden if they weren't damn good.

Just a little add-on:

Sorry for taking this a bit out of the context, but FTR i just wanted to add on that some tongues might tell that while in Sweden he (KLH) has not only learned about the european mid-distance topspin game, but also learned a lot about speedglueing (originally discovered by Tibor Klampar) which was until then if not unknown, then at least not very common at all in China.

Some even go so far to say, that KLH is responsible for having brought the speed-glueing technique to China
(maybe even responsible for millions of Toluol or Hexal addictions...)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl