Training with Belgium National Team 2016

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Nice Vid. Nice warmup. I especially like the irregular drills and the consistency.

Did belgium always have this kind of national squad or did they recently improve their infrastructure?
the Saive brothers have been playing on a high level since i can think, to be more specific since i've started playing as a kid in the eighties and i believe they have left quite a bit of an impact on the belgian tabletennis scene after all this time they have been around. I don't know about the time before, but there must have been someone who has been teaching them...
[Emoji6]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Oh i see.

Oops... I hope no Belgian reads this.
[Emoji12]

Hahaha.

Yep, the Saive brothers = Belgian table tennis history. Jean

An excerpt from Wikipedia:

"Jean-Michel Saive (born 17 November 1969) is a Belgian former professional table tennis player.

Born in Liège in a table tennis playing family, Saive began playing as a small boy. His father was the tenth ranking Belgian player and his mother won the Belgian ladies' doubles championships when she was pregnant with him.

At the age of thirteen Saive was the fourth ranking Belgian player and joined the national team. In 1985 he was ranked best player in Belgium, a place which he kept until 2011 without interruption. In 1994 he made it to world number one for 515 days (from 9 February 1994 to 8 June 1995 and from 26 March 1996 to 24 April 1996)."

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Yes we have some good places where wa can play, this room is located near Liège and is for table tennis only :)

BELGIUM TEAM WAS SECOND @ WORLD TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP 2001 :D

The Saive Brothers and Martin Bratanov are the last who beat the chinese team...

AND JEAN MI IS FROM BELGIUM :mad: :eek::eek::eek:

You can see some great footage of our old table tennis team here : http://bit.ly/292NTzB

:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2016
how did you get to train with them?
I know yannick vostes from belgium, saw him once live long ago.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Regarding question on how is Belgium table tennis now, make it easier:

1) how many players in national team
2) how often do they train together (like the video)
3) is this the national team training venue?
4) how many tables

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Regarding question on how is Belgium table tennis now, make it easier:

1) how many players in national team
2) how often do they train together (like the video)
3) is this the national team training venue?
4) how many tables

Hi Tony,

1. 5 : Cédric NUYTINCK, Robin DEVOS, Florent LAMBIET, Lauric JEAN, Martin ALLEGRO
2. In Belgium, we have two languages, french and netherlands. So the country is divided in two zone. Cédric and Robin are from the north (and winter is coming :) ) and Florent, Lauric, Martin from the south. I don't know exactly How often they train together during the year, but it's complicated.
3 and 4. There is no national team center. But this is a large training center near Liège with 20 tables.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Thanks TTBelgiumTV

So it sounds like to me, there isn't really a national training structure, but rather individual or club like structure to answer some of the earlier questions above

Or maybe there is but TTBelgiumTV doesn't know yet

Have to admit, from the videos, that is definitely just few players training around, not a "team" training

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2016
it would be very strange if there was nothing properly known as the national team with structured training and a structured group.
I wouldn't say belgium is a small country in terms of table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
it would be very strange if there was nothing properly known as the national team with structured training and a structured group.
I wouldn't say belgium is a small country in terms of table tennis.

+1
And seeing how well Belgium juniors are, I'm sure there is a proper national framework setup.
There is a big chance OP is not that clued up or maybe just a language barrier

I also suspect, maybe his title is misleading, a national player is not a national team.
It is like show a picture of Ma Long training, but you say it is the Chinese national team training.

These videos are definitely not "national team" training

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Yes, this is an national team training. As I say at the begining of the video, it's a warm up before team Belgium versus team Poland.

We have structured training group, but our country is divided in two training zone, because of the two languages we speak (NL - FR). It's complicated for me to explain in English (sorry :)). In Belgium, it's not like France with one big center like Insep....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 4 reviews
Exactly Tom ! Maybe your English is better then my ? Maybe you can explain ?

As far as I can tell, your english is fine and just as good as mine. Also, I don't know how our national team is structured, so I guess your explanation, as far as table tennis is concerned, is correct.

The two major language regions both have their own league, the VTTL for the flemmish speaking part and AF for the french speaking part, but above those two we have the KBTTB, which is the Royal Belgium Table Tennis League. The players you mentioned come from both language parts, as you already pointed out. I don't know if there is something like a training hall exclusively for the national team. What I do know is that they play really well.