Rubber "waking up"?

This user has no status.
So about two and a half months ago I glued a new sheet of my FH rubber to my blade.
I was instantly happy with it. My topspins all landed, blocking and pushing was satisfying.
Then, about a week ago, my rubber experienced a sudden big increase in speed and spin, as if the rubber had just "woken up."
The ball now sails off my forehand and the rubber is now faster than the sheet of Tenergy 80 i have glued to my backhand.
Probably just my imagination, but do you know anything about this

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Sometimes a rubber can take a little while to break in or "wake up" as you have suggested. It is quite common in certain rubbers particularly in my experience with things like Hurricane and some other Chinese rubbers.

Just re-read the first post. I would be surprised that it has taken 2 1/2 months though, unless you are playing very infrequently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Donic Coppa JO Gold. Everything the same as on my profile except backhand rubber which I forgot to change

Did you change from Sonex to tenergy while the Coppa was already fixed? This would change the balance of the racket and (slightly) influence the performance of the forehand rubber.

If not, it seems very unusual that a rubber should wake up after two and a half months.

It is not uncommon for some rubbers to gain catapult after a while and become more bouncy than tolerable, but that would leave the spin unaffected.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
That´s what I was guessing also, but he said spin also increased.

I know the effect you describe, bouncy as hell and no grip ...
This is probably it
I have been working on my technique recently so maybe that's why there's more spin. Otherwise my experience matches what you've said. So should I replace the rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Read 10 reviews
Just sharing a good rule of thumb by butterfly website on rubber replacement frequency
[# of days played/week] = [# of times to change/year]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk