Why are there so many choppers using short pimples?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi, just wondering that why so many choppers recently are using short pimples instead of long pimples? I understand that the short pimples is able to control the spin variation a bit better compared to the long pimples. But short pimples are harder for spin reversal and hence chops will be left with little to no spin. Also short pimples are mostly for the attacking game why use it to play as a defensive chopper?

Reactions: BeGo
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Is this really a trend? SP would provide a lot less margin for error.

This user has no status.
Hi, just wondering that why so many choppers recently are using short pimples instead of long pimples? I understand that the short pimples is able to control the spin variation a bit better compared to the long pimples. But short pimples are harder for spin reversal and hence chops will be left with little to no spin. Also short pimples are mostly for the attacking game why use it to play as a defensive chopper?
For those used to chop with Tackiness Chop, chop with SP with similar rebound sponge feel at home. ;)

Sent from my S5E using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Hi,

There isn't a very large trend, but historically Chinese defenders have shifted to playing with short pimples rather than long pimples (Wang Xi & Hou Yingchao are good examples. as well as Wu Yang and Fan Ying on the women's side). This is because short pimples allow for a lot of variation and deception on backhand chops, and at their level they are such good players that the relative loss of control when compared with long pimples doesn't really matter to them.

Most other defenders use long pimples - all the top Korean defenders still use long pimples as it is what they prefer, and they tend to use them with slightly thicker sponge so that they can still vary the spin on the ball. At most levels, long pimples are probably better but at the top level it becomes closer to being even - though I think long pimples probably still have the edge on short pimples. Ultimately it's personal preference/what players have coached into them as youngsters, but it's unusual to see many non-Chinese high level defenders playing with short pimples. Yuto Muramatsu is the only exception I can think of off the top of my head, and he is nowhere near Joo Se Hyuk's level (who uses long pimples).

Hope this helps!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
LOng pimples should be banned in official tournaments, they harm the sport by making it weird looking. Its one of the reasons some people dont take table tennis serious.

So Joo Sae Hyuk isn't playing seriously?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
LOng pimples should be banned in official tournaments, they harm the sport by making it weird looking. Its one of the reasons some people dont take table tennis serious.

Bitter,
That's all you are. You clearly can't play against pimples. And the games where you have an attacker playing against someone who uses pimples is much more entertaining to watch. You can hardly say it is harming the sport either, because it's not like all of the top 5 players in the world use pimples? Not even one is in the top 10! I'd only say it was harming the sport if those who used pimples gained a massive advantage over everyone else, which they don't!
I think you just need to learn to play against them!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

So it is because of "weird looking" causing people don't take table tennis seriously.......

I guess you loose very badly against them or what.... not sure if you joking or if you serious

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
SP chopping isn't a popular trend

At the end of the day, it all depends on the players objective
SP and LP both have it unique features, and it all depends on what you are want to achieve with it.
LP is still way more than SP

BTW, SP in this case for chop is normally OX rubber, you can't really attack with it as someone else mentioned above

Reactions: Suga D and BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Here is a match.

Does that look weird or is that simply a great match?

Usually people who complain about pips are people who need to learn how to play against them.

May as well learn to play against pips. Because I can't see ITTF banning pips any time soon.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
Yoo Se Hyuk is probably the most spectacular long pimple player in the world. Taking him as a reference to defend the use of long pimples is ridiculous.

For example a relatively well rated player like Olivier Mader (see video against Schlager) illustrates more how ugly and weird this kind of equipment is looking. Its mind boggling how Mader can have a rating of 2215 USATT really, considering his horrible technical skills. I know it is not that easy to play with long pimples , I just want to show how ugly and weird the pimples make most non elite players play.

And just to let you guys know, I personally win almost all matches when I play against long pimples in my low league, so it is nothing personal. If you dont think this equipment makes table tennis weird looking for most people then i have nothing more to say.

This user has no status.
Bitter,
That's all you are. You clearly can't play against pimples. And the games where you have an attacker playing against someone who uses pimples is much more entertaining to watch. You can hardly say it is harming the sport either, because it's not like all of the top 5 players in the world use pimples? Not even one is in the top 10! I'd only say it was harming the sport if those who used pimples gained a massive advantage over everyone else, which they don't!
I think you just need to learn to play against them!

Just so you know, before I continue, I do not agree at all with Phillypong that it harms the sport or looks weird :)

However what I would say is that there are a lot of people, myself included, who do not particularly enjoy playing versus pimples, or watching players with pimples. Sure, I enjoy watching the odd match of JSH, but I don't really find it that interesting overall. It seems to be a common reaction from defenders to just assume that just because someone doesn't like pimples it means that they are terrible against them. This is not always the case and shouldn't be assumed :)

Also, if someone is bad vs pimples, it is often the case that they simply don't have the chance to practice against them on a regular basis, and so when they get drawn against them in a tournament it becomes a very unpleasant experience.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Euh, I hope you are joking here, lol.

Here is your post from another thread in response to someone who wanted to slow down their LP:

For slowing down the game, better use antitopspin rubbers and a very slow blade.

So, Anti is OK, but LPs are not? They support more or less the same play style: blocking close to the table (the one you seem to dislike).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Most of the the players who use their long pips like O. Mader have a physical limit on their movement, because of their age or weight. Their playing style would be as much "ugly" with inverted as with LP. Do you want to ban them from playing tt? With pips at least they can play longer rallies. I also wonder that Mader was able to reach 2200, he looks lower level.

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
This user has no status.
Here is your post from another thread in response to someone who wanted to slow down their LP:

For slowing down the game, better use antitopspin rubbers and a very slow blade.

So, Anti is OK, but LPs are not? They support more or less the same play style: blocking close to the table (the one you seem to dislike).

Anti doesnt have the spin reversal effect, so it doesnt force the opponent to think differently then when playing against backside rubbers. Also the long frictionless pimples are illegal, but there is no way mostly to control (racket control) this and there are simple ways of making pimples frictionless.
I personally know a player who plays long pimples that are treated so to be totally frictionless, he manages to hinder lots of players who play much better than him yet with his illegal equipment he wins quite a lot of matches.