Par Gerell's Serves vs TableTennisDaily's Dan!

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Hey everyone,

Last month TableTennisDaily visited the Swedish Open World Tour to promote the event with STIGA. During the tournament I challenged Par Gerell to see how many serves I could return out of 10 and he accepted! Par Gerell is a fantastic player and a really nice guy. Par is renowned for his serves and recognised as one of the all time serving greats!

Par Gerell's Serves vs Dan!

Winner of the signed Carbonado 190 by Par Garell announced:

Thanks to all 1600 entries across the TableTennisDaily Website, youtube and Instagram who entered the competition on guessing how many serves they think Dan would return against Par out of 10.

Step 1:
91 users commented the 'correct score' and all went into the prize. Find out the score by watching the video.

Step 2:
Using random.org, a random number was generated which produced the winner.

carbonado90winner.jpg

Step 3:

Congratulations to Instagram user till_toelle guessing the right score winning a signed Carbonado 190 by Par Gerell. If you can PM your address to TableTennisDaily we will post your prize win right away!

Stay tuned for more TableTennisDaily competitions and challenges with pro players!

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
My current coach (Timothy Wang) told me that at Rio in doubles he had trouble bringing back his serves, said the top/side serves were insanely spinny and disguised and took this weird jump. He had never seen anything like it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Hahaha. I think the question should have been, how many will Dan actually manage to get his racket on cleanly rather than missing the ball completely or hitting the edge of the racket. :)

Now I can tell you guys that Dan informed me that he had Rosskopf and Ovtcharov behind him laughing the whole time. :)

Hopefully my guess of 8 threw a few people off the mark. But 91 people guessing the number 2 correctly shows what faith everyone has in Dan's return of serve skillz.

This was a fun giveaway comp. Thanks Dan. You are the man! :)

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
I couldn't read any of these on the first try. Fantastic. I was pretty sure that some of the backspin serves were top or even side/cork, but they weren't.

His action is very smooth, and the motion is very similar if not identical if you just go through them all at once without pausing. It really is something.

This user has no status.
Those look quite illegal... could barely see them from this wide of a camera angle. Pär punches underspin without opponent able to see much, then pulls his racket up when opponent can see. Of course people would fail to return those :/ Were you able to see the moment the ball hit the racket, Dan?

Reactions: Jirrex and bobpuls

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Those look quite illegal... could barely see them from this wide of a camera angle. Pär punches underspin without opponent able to see much, then pulls his racket up when opponent can see. Of course people would fail to return those :/ Were you able to see the moment the ball hit the racket, Dan?

Might also help if he actually got his "free arm" out of the way like you are supposed to. Pro players setting the rest of us an example, lol !

This user has no status.
I totally agree with previous posts. Of course players (i.e. Dan) will have difficulties returning any of his serves if on most of them you hardly see the ball on the point of contact because of his right shoulder/arm, unless you have an eye for spotting if it is topspin or backspin just by looking at the balls trajectory or speed. I'm saying this even as a Swede myself and wanting Pär to do well. I really don't see why his coaches or players he practices with regularly just tells him to adjust his serve slightly? I also think the umpires should be more consistent with interpreting the service rules, thus forcing players to adapt accordingly.

@Reaper : Par Gerell was bullied because of his serves by the referee when he lost to Allegro Martin (wr 206) in the sweden open 2016.....I still remember Shibaev also getting bullied the same way against Gauzy at the last ETTC. I may be wrong but I see more and more illegal serves being punished by the referees, a good thing.

Reactions: Jirrex and bobpuls