Understanding the Par Gerell Reverse Side Spin Serve Deception (Video)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi everyone, the recent competition on the Stiga Carbonado Blade provided me an opportunity to observe and Study how Par Gerell does his serve. In this video, I have tried to explain one way of how reverse side-topspin and backspin serves work with similar motion

I believe Par has many ways to achieve this and I have attempted only a basic way of doing this serve and I hope you enjoy it.

Demonstration start after 3:10 in the video

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
.... and the King is back ... long live the king !
@UpSideDownCarl : You might want to use your secret spyphone to contact the head of the goon squad to deploy a payload of the best Archosaur and Pnut missiles to quickly neutralize this thread/threat ... or wait NL might already have done that .. please check with him first ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Serve is good but easy to see the spin not only because you do not hide the racket but also sound and ball motion. The difference is that Par hide his racket and also the ball motion looks really similar.

I keep forgetting the ball motion, there was a similar feedback in some last post. This method is the straight forward one, if I am not wrong Wang Hao use this kind of motion for both spins. In other ways to fake, my contact is not good enough and no way ball is gonna jump like that in the case of reverse topsin.

I never usually blame my weakness on blades but in this case i have to admit that Par Gerell has got secret contracts with the Pentagon to get those blades :D

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
All I can say is, Siva has really good touch. Hard to argue with how the ball leaves the racket. It may not be how Par Gerell does it. But Siva has good touch.

Par's serves are more complicated than what Siva presented for how Par gets backspin and topspin. There is a way to go down, but touch the outside of the ball and make it topspin. There is a way to go up, and hit the outside of the ball to make it backspin. Those kind of punch and hook serves are very cool for how easy it is to vary the spin with slightly different points of contact.

But none of this can take away from the fact that Siva has great touch.

Last edited: