Homemade table tennis blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Inspired by others and a desire to develop my skills I decided to have a go at making my own blade. After a couple of experiments this is the first one that I am quite happy with. It's based on Stiga blades and is a 5 ply Limba - Fir - Ayous - Fir - Limba combination with mahogany handle. The only problem is that I don't want to hide the wood with rubbers!

IMG_0224.jpgIMG_0223.jpgIMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
It does look good. What are the plies on the blade?

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
Have look at the first post one more time and this time read it carefully.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
IMG_1239.jpg
I'm very interested as well to hear of the differences in playing quality between a professionally produced blade and something like this.

I really don't know what to expect to be honest.

this was the second blade I made which is walnut and nearly 7mm thick and 90g. It plays really well but is a bit faster than what I'm used to which is a stratus power wood. none of my club mates could tell that it was a professionally produced blade - or maybe they were being kind!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jirrex

MDP

This user has no status.

MDP

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Read 1 reviews
this was the second blade I made which is walnut and nearly 7mm thick and 90g. It plays really well but is a bit faster than what I'm used to which is a stratus power wood. none of my club mates could tell that it was a professionally produced blade - or maybe they were being kind!

Walnut is heavy and hard, so it will give more speed to the blade and be better suited for flat hitting/blocking. The combination of this hard wood and the extra weight and thickness make your blade faster then stratus power wood. I recently made a blade with walnut outer plies aswell. I 'compensated' this extra speed/less spin by using Limba as second ply and thinner core wood, to improve the control and spin.

Here you can see a picture if interested: https://postimg.org/image/aptuydcvr/

Reactions: Suga D and Jirrex
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Walnut is heavy and hard, so it will give more speed to the blade and be better suited for flat hitting/blocking. The combination of this hard wood and the extra weight and thickness make your blade faster then stratus power wood. I recently made a blade with walnut outer plies aswell. I 'compensated' this extra speed/less spin by using Limba as second ply and thinner core wood, to improve the control and spin.

Here you can see a picture if interested: https://postimg.org/image/aptuydcvr/

Damn that one looks nice!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
That's awesome! I'd be so happy if I could get close to that. Really interested to know what your process is. I've struggled to get a perfect shape - how have you managed it? Also what are the thickness of your piles and apart from limba and walnut what's the core. Great work, it's given me something to aspire to now!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
That's awesome! I'd be so happy if I could get close to that. Really interested to know what your process is. I've struggled to get a perfect shape - how have you managed it? Also what are the thickness of your piles and apart from limba and walnut what's the core. Great work, it's given me something to aspire to now!

I think MDP uses a template and a router/trimmer to get a perfect shape, just like bobpuls does: https://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?11808-Create-your-own-blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
There are different ways you can do it. Just experiment and see what tools you van use/have. This blade was made with a router but I havent always used it.

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Ive just read the other post and realised that it was your YouTube videos that I had followed! Your 3 part series was a really useful tool for me. How did you complete the inlay on the handle?

Reactions: Suga D