Homemade table tennis blade

New blade - this one is: balsa - aramid carbon - ayous - mahogany. The handle is ash, yew and mahogany. The carbon is actually woven with twaron, a form of aramid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twaron for anyone that's interested.
7.2mm and 83g. Testing needed but there is a big sweet spot, a crisp sound and feel and I would imagine it will be in the off to off+ range. I'll feedback when it's had a thorough test.

View attachment 14659View attachment 14660

Great to see that you are working on carbon blades!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
image.jpg23082E33-A545-4FD2-BBE7-306356BE2BC9.jpg
Im the proud owner of one of the homemade blades, it plays beautifully and i would be lost without it!
ive made great strides in developing my game and beating players i never thought i would ever be able to compete with!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Garry - thank you for the kind words and I'm really pleased the blade is working out for you. However, I'm not going to thank you for beating me the last we played! To be fair, it was a great game and I really enjoyed it! 10 -12 in the fifth, when I was 10-8 ahead. Doh! There's always a next time..........

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Hi Alan,

yes the pleasure was all mine! You know I will fight for every point!
love your new blades, i may have to invest in a reserve bat, for trialling some different rubbers.

thanks
Garry

Reactions: GinjaNinja
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Hi Alan,

yes the pleasure was all mine! You know I will fight for every point!
love your new blades, i may have to invest in a reserve bat, for trialling some different rubbers.

thanks
Garry
Absolutely right, you fought for every point. The amount of times I thought I'd won the point only to somehow see it miraculously come back...........

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
A couple of the new blades that I've made recently:
1) This is my first blade with glass fibre. It's ayous, glass fibre, douglas fir and koto. 5.7mm and 86g. It also is made from a new template which is slightly wider than normal at 151.5. The handle is mainly teak with some ayous and walnut. I've made several blades with the same composition but minus the glass fibre so I'll be able to to do some direct comparison. Just by bouncing a ball on the blade I can tell it has fewer vibrations and will have a touch more pace.
koto fibreglass.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg
2) This one was for a bit of fun really and to try out another template, this time 153mm wide and 160 high, designed for more all-round blades. It's redwood burl, mahogany and kiri. The handle is mahogany, maple burr and zerbrano. 85g and 6.2mm thick. It will be interesting to see how this one plays.

redwoodburr.jpg
IMG_0305.jpg

1) This is my first blade with glass fibre. It's ayous, glass fibre, douglas fir and koto. 5.7mm and 86g. It also is made from a new template which is slightly wider than normal at 151.5. The handle is mainly teak with some ayous and walnut. I've made several blades with the same composition but minus the glass fibre so I'll be able to to do some direct comparison. Just by bouncing a ball on the blade I can tell it has fewer vibrations and will have a touch more pace.
View attachment 15503

View attachment 15505
2) This one was for a bit of fun really and to try out another template, this time 153mm wide and 160 high, designed for more all-round blades. It's redwood burl, mahogany and kiri. The handle is mahogany, maple burr and zerbrano. 85g and 6.2mm thick. It will be interesting to see how this one plays.

View attachment 15504
View attachment 15506

Is that your new logo for your blades?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
View attachment 15503

View attachment 15505

View attachment 15504
View attachment 15506

These have exceptionally beautiful handles. The second blade should be hanging on the wall as an art piece IMHO :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
nice work, cool looking handles .. but still a little bit more precision on the handles (but i now how much work is behind .... i hate to make handles ... )........ thumb up

Thanks Bob. Interesting, I like making handles the most, but they are the most difficult part to do.
I've not seen much of your work for a while, it would be good to see what you've been working on. I am sure I'd read you'd been working on a new handle design?!?

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Thanks Bob. Interesting, I like making handles the most, but they are the most difficult part to do.
I've not seen much of your work for a while, it would be good to see what you've been working on. I am sure I'd read you'd been working on a new handle design?!?
Ok i made a quick report of my progress during the last days .... '-)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
This blade was made for a TTD member. It's an ayous, aramid carbon, ayous, limba composition, 6.1mm and 90g. It's essentially a W968 clone but with a larger handle. We spent quite a bit of time on this blade and several aspects were a challenge including the initials in front of the Swedish flag (on the end of the handle and not in the photo sorry) and working to pretty exact specifications throughout which was fun. The blade has one very light coat of sealer/varnish and the handle is completely natural with no sealer or varnish which was as per instructions hence the slightly 'unfinished' look.
Riadblade.jpg

Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Quite a unusual cut of limba top veneer .
I also build this clone for my self in 92 grams weight and i attach Dhs H3 National with tenergy so it is complete copy ;-) ....
I really like it for the backhand (now i understand how can Ma long play so controlled and fast). This is why i completely switch Tenergy 80fx to all blades on BH....
But the blade it self has a lot of kick which comes from some point of speed ... it gives H3 something like tensor rebound on hard strokes and excellent kick to Tenergy on BH . You have to be prepared when this comes , it is definitely not linear rebound and you can easy overshoot the table ... but this is just perfect for BH and not so good for my FH.
This is why i prefer my own 9ply combination of wood which is more linear .
But still good combination ... it is my backup blade .
Really good work .... which thickness of core did you use ? I used 3mm core.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Quite a unusual cut of limba top veneer .
I also build this clone for my self in 92 grams weight and i attach Dhs H3 National with tenergy so it is complete copy ;-) ....
I really like it for the backhand (now i understand how can Ma long play so controlled and fast). This is why i completely switch Tenergy 80fx to all blades on BH....
But the blade it self has a lot of kick which comes from some point of speed ... it gives H3 something like tensor rebound on hard strokes and excellent kick to Tenergy on BH . You have to be prepared when this comes , it is definitely not linear rebound and you can easy overshoot the table ... but this is just perfect for BH and not so good for my FH.
This is why i prefer my own 9ply combination of wood which is more linear .
But still good combination ... it is my backup blade .
Really good work .... which thickness of core did you use ? I used 3mm core.

3mm ayous core, the medial ayous were 0.8mm, outer limba 0.5mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpuls