Homemade table tennis blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
They were the two main links/videos I used and they really helped me. Here are a few others that helped in terms of materials and composition, I hope they are of some use:

http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/index.php - database of blades and their composition
http://www.soulspin.tt/en/technology/roots-hoelzer.html#c225 - nice blades and helpfully they show the composition of each one.

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/blog/wood/comment-page-1/#comment-8931 - wood types

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...e=i-wanna-make-my-own-blades-i-need-your-help - another home made blade
http://oakdalecrafts.co.uk - this is where I get most of my veneers from and I think they ship to Europe. I get my cores from model shops.

Thanks GinjaNinja, some links I didn't know yet.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
New blade, this one is balsa; Cherry; African Satinwood and is 68g and 7.4mm thick. Handle is Lime.
IMG_0263.jpgIMG_0264.jpgIMG_0265.jpg

I've spent quite a bit of time playing these different blades now and have found them all very playable but all in different ways. The flamed mahogany works great for me and I feel this is better for my game than my SPW - not quite as quick but it has more control and has better feel - naturally I'm very happy! What I have learned is that the blade has a much more dramatic effect on performance than I ever thought. The three blades with different top plies (walnut, mahogany, limba) but the same core and medial play very differently. Even when I've changed rubbers the 'character' of the blade still comes through.
It's becoming a fascinating and quite cheap hobby! Cheaper than changing blades to find out what I do and don't like. Each blade costs about 12 euros - plus my time.

I have noticed that the veneers on my blades don't seem as hard as those on manufactured blades - has anyone noticed this on their DIY blades? Is it the gluing, pressing or drying process?

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
New blade, this one is balsa; Cherry; African Satinwood and is 68g and 7.4mm thick. Handle is Lime.
View attachment 11717View attachment 11718View attachment 11719

I've spent quite a bit of time playing these different blades now and have found them all very playable but all in different ways. The flamed mahogany works great for me and I feel this is better for my game than my SPW - not quite as quick but it has more control and has better feel - naturally I'm very happy! What I have learned is that the blade has a much more dramatic effect on performance than I ever thought. The three blades with different top plies (walnut, mahogany, limba) but the same core and medial play very differently. Even when I've changed rubbers the 'character' of the blade still comes through.
It's becoming a fascinating and quite cheap hobby! Cheaper than changing blades to find out what I do and don't like. Each blade costs about 12 euros - plus my time.

I have noticed that the veneers on my blades don't seem as hard as those on manufactured blades - has anyone noticed this on their DIY blades? Is it the gluing, pressing or drying process?
most of the main common companies are using resin for glue ... which makes the wood harder.... but you i think are using the water based wood glue , which makes the wood more them selves . so better feel and softer wood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016

Once again, a nice job!

Does flamed veneer have exactly the same playing characteristics as the 'normal' veneer version?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Wenge is on I have played some times with this outer ply... But zebrano is absorbing energy... I do not like this on outer ply.

One of my team mates has asked me to make him a blade and he's a defensive player, do you think I could use for that but perhaps with a soft inner such as willow or limba?

Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
One of my team mates has asked me to make him a blade and he's a defensive player, do you think I could use for that but perhaps with a soft inner such as willow or limba?
I think it could.
I have personally thinking to use it this way.... But i was thinking about 1.5 mm as second layer of ayous underneath.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016

I guess this isn't including shipping costs, glue etc.?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
New blade - obeche - Douglas fir- Cedar with a Zebrano handle. 88g, 6.4mm thick. A bit heavier than I wanted mainly due to the Zebrano handle which, despite hollowing it out, was still 28g in total. Happy with how the wood has come out though, the Zebrano was a gift from my Dad and it's quite beautiful. I am aiming for off minus, I'll stick some rubbers on and test later this week. I've also experimented with the core which was 2 horizontal pieces rather than 2 vertical pieces.
IMG_0269.jpgIMG_0270.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Two new blades:
1) Rosewood - ayous - ayous - ayous - Rosewood. 89g, 5.9mm thickness. Mahogany handle with birch ply. Hopefully the Stiga inspiration is obvious!
IMG_0287.jpgIMG_0288.jpg

2) Bubinga - Pondersosa Pine - Balsa - Ponderosa Pine - Bubinga. 80g; 7.2mm thickness. Sycamore handle.
IMG_0290.jpgIMG_0294.jpg

I think both of these will come out as off- to off judging by a bounce test. Unfortunately I'm waiting on new rubbers to be delivered so can't test them out yet! Both of these are much harder woods than I've used before so I am quite keen to find out how they play.
If anyone is interested I have developed a spreadsheet which calculates the predicted weight, hardness and elasticity of any blade that I plan to make. I'm not sure how scientifically sound it is but the predicted weight has been accurate so far +/-1g os so.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.jpg
    IMG_0286.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 425
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Nice.

One thing I am wondering: with wood such as bubinga (which really is quite beautiful), do you get an even bounce on the whole surface, given the striation (best word I could find) of the wood?

Yes, providing it's sanded smoothly and evenly then no problem. I have some sheets of bird's eye maple that I intend to use that will test this theory further. I know people use masur and burr wood and that seems to be Ok. Sanwei make a blade with Zebrano which has strong 'striation'.

Reactions: Tokieboi