Curiosity about blades having different surfaces

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
Lots of folks have different rubber on the two sides of their blade to match their playing style. They also choose blades with certain playing characteristics, but the blade seems to have the same qualities on both sides. Why isn't there more customization of the type of ply on each side of the blade to affect the playing characteristics to suit different preferences, say OFF + on one side and OFF - on the other? Does it not work? Is it illegal? That would seem to be an EJs dream (or nightmare).

Just curious.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
Lots of folks have different rubber on the two sides of their blade to match their playing style. They also choose blades with certain playing characteristics, but the blade seems to have the same qualities on both sides. Why isn't there more customization of the type of ply on each side of the blade to affect the playing characteristics to suit different preferences, say OFF + on one side and OFF - on the other? Does it not work? Is it illegal? That would seem to be an EJs dream (or nightmare).

Just curious.

Thats called assymetric blade
Peter from germany made it for me
One side rosewood otherside Limba
Core balsa and ayous
Works like a charm.
Its totally legal and u can make it if u have someone making it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: NextLevel and BeGo
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Reactions: NextLevel and BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
It sounds like the best of both worlds kind of idea doesn't it?

I've asked Butterfly R&D for such a blade and why they don't produce it. Answer was that besides the quality control issue (for having different stiffness thus causing it to bent in a long term), it nulllifies the rebound and vibration properties of the material. Say if you have carbon on FH and balsa on BH, the speed of the blade settles somwhere in the middle and the difference between FH/BH is neglegible to the point it's much easier to make adjustments by using a different rubber.

Some do regard the trivial difference very highly so there's a demand for it but there's no dream blade for allround/defenders with very slow BH and fast FH.

Reactions: Baal and BeGo
This user has no status.
It sounds like the best of both worlds kind of idea doesn't it?

I've asked Butterfly R&D for such a blade and why they don't produce it. Answer was that besides the quality control issue (for having different stiffness thus causing it to bent in a long term), it nulllifies the rebound and vibration properties of the material. Say if you have carbon on FH and balsa on BH, the speed of the blade settles somwhere in the middle and the difference between FH/BH is neglegible to the point it's much easier to make adjustments by using a different rubber.

Some do regard the trivial difference very highly so there's a demand for it but there's no dream blade for allround/defenders with very slow BH and fast FH.
this is my "table tennis life" question all along,

can we actually make a blade with
soft fast forehand, and,
hard slow backhand?

That blade would be a twiddler defender dream, perfect fh for H3, perfect bh for fl2.

my guess is 4 ply blade, bh to fh,

[hardply] - [slowcore] - [hardcore] - [softply], e.g.,

Limba - cork - balsa - willow

wood EDIT. :)

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited:
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
This is not exactly how it works but the idea is good.... if you want to have fast blade with defending side.. then you have to make something like fast membrane ,what is something like soft bouncy wood trapped between two harder woods which all is taken ass core .... this is core for fast side of the blade ... and then you have add the soft weakening part for the defend side ... "Vodak" is for example using something like classic cotton fiber to slow thinks down on defenders side .... ... but it can be achieved also different way . but generally this blades are 7+ ply and they are heavy ... so balsa is strongly recommended to keep weight down.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Though I agree with the above, i had the luck to be able to purchase one of those "dream" blades.
Afaik the first version had carbon underneath the hinoki top ply on one side and on the backhand side it has limba underneath the hinoki.
Well mine is from the second Edition that has rosewood instead of carbon.
Have a view:
IMG_20161006_105956.jpg
IMG_20161006_105947.jpg

And i agree... this blade is really a Dream-blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
3942d207.jpg
Though I agree with the above, i had the luck to be able to purchase one of those "dream" blades.
Afaik the first version had carbon underneath the hinoki top ply on one side and on the backhand side it has limba underneath the hinoki.
Have a view:
View attachment 11536
View attachment 11537

And i agree... this blade is really a Dream

Very Nice!
Are there much difference in speed between FH/BH? Or is it mostly the feeling?
Like I said, it's been tried and tested(including top pro like Kong Linghui shown in pic) but seems to gain no popularity amongst players. Really interested to know how that blade plays.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
View attachment 11539
Have a view:
View attachment 11536
View attachment 11537

And i agree... this blade is really a Dream
Very Nice!
Are there much difference in speed between FH/BH? Or is it mostly the feeling?
Like I said, it's been tried and tested(including top pro like Kong Linghui shown in pic) but seems to gain no popularity amongst players. Really interested to know how that blade plays.

To me this is one of Nittaku's masterpieces.
But I also would say it's not more than nuancés. The difference in speed is hardly noticeable, but one can feel the difference of the different layers underneath the top plies.
[EDIT: i have a friend who was a pro sponsored by Nittaku and actually he always used the rosewood side on his BH and the limba on the fh. I will try that the next days, but i have to reglue the rubbers first]
[emoji6]

Last edited:
Reactions: ttpshot