Marcos Freitas using Marcos Freitas ALC

So a lot of good info. NextLevel's explanation of how stuff a mid level player may not feel is something a pro level player may really feel, lines up with how Wang Chen explained the difference between Commercial, Provincial and National H3. She said a pro would feel the difference and it is subtle. But it should not matter to a mid level amateur.

But I am looking at something else here. So, hopefully this information is useful to you.

I see a big interest in table tennis equipment. In one thread I made a joke about EJ virus and the goon squad. Here I will talk about equipment.

The first thing to understand is, deep inquiry to try and understand equipment is valuable if it is because you are the type of person who likes to know and wants to understand. But if it is about thinking equipment is more important than it is, this can be an expensive route to follow. And it will likely not help your technique improve.

It is worth knowing that blades that are in the same class are, well...in the same class.

What does this mean?

Blades that have the plies:

Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba

Will have more in common than they will have differences.

ZJK ALC, TB Spirit, TB ALC, Viscaria and a few other blades are almost identical aside from the handle. Other companies have tried to create the same effect. The only blade that has done that successfully so far seems to be the True Carbon.

When you have a blade and rubber setup that works for you, sticking with it will be better for your developing technique and improving than searching out new equipment.

Developing technique in this sport is more important than what equipment you use. One way that this is often expressed is: "It is not the racket it is the person with the racket in his hand."

I know this info is simple and you really already get this stuff.

More on subject to this thread is that, for whatever reason, the pros don't always use what they appear to use. Fan Zhendong uses a Viscaria with a Stiga Infinity handle. ZJK seems to use a Viscaria but rumor has it that it is a custom blade with a Viscaria handle. Whether this is true or not doesn't really matter to me. But what is for sure is that he does not use any of the blades with his name on them.

I could go on and on because there are so many pros who pretend to use one thing but really use something else. Why? I am not really sure. Sponsorship cobtracts? Probably for someone like FZD or Wang Liqin or Dimitri Ovtcharov. Probably not for ZJK since he absolutely does not hide that he doesn't use any of the blades with his name.

One thing I can tell you is, whatever racket you are using is probably okay. Is it optimal for your development? I am not sure because I don't know your level or what you are using. But most offensive players who are not yet at the elite amateur or semi-pro level would probably be best served by using a 5 ply, all wood blade that has decent flex and good feeling with any kind of modern offensive rubber.

Often people talk about how the pros get special rackets and rubbers. I am not 100% sure that is always exactly true. But there is some truth in it. And the bigger issue is that most top pros get dozens of blades to try and reject dozens blades before the choose 3-4 for themselves.

One time I got to try a blade that had been specifically made for Xu Xin and had been rejected. Not sure what he didn't like about it. But it still felt awesome.

That chance to try and choose is really the bigger issue for the pros. Once they have selected a main blade and a few backups, they probably use those for quite a while before changing.

But the more important thing is, this kind of inquiry can be fun. But don't let it interfere with the fact that working on technique is much more valuable than worrying about equipment.

Someone like NextLevel is an expert at finding different setups that enhance different aspects of his game. But NextLevel has a physical handicap that makes what he chooses slightly more important than it is for most people. Because he needs a setup that gets the job done while allowing him to keep his joints protected. Which is also part of why he knows so much about equipment and why his opinion should be valued and respected.

But for most people, especially young, developing players, whatever equipment you have and use, your technique will adjust to your equipment and that equipment will work for you.

So don't worry too much about this stuff or what the pros use and why. Inquire. Enjoy learning. But don't think it is too important.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy
The one that u said Wang Chen explaining the differences between all three types of hurricane, is there any videos about that? I'd love to watch it

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Does maker's ads says the player uses the maker's equipment?
Most of them are quite subtle in that department. Like Butterfly claiming that the ZJK blade is developed "in colaboration with" ZJK.

This is the part I think is craziest. Must not have been a very successful collaboration since he doesnt use any of the ZJK blades. By the way, the ZJK ALC is quite nice.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
This is the part I think is craziest. Must not have been a very successful collaboration since he doesnt use any of the ZJK blades. By the way, the ZJK ALC is quite nice.

Can't argue with that. Sponsorship usualy works out that if a player actualy used the maker's equipment, they get paid extra for it (endorsement/marketing contract). Obviously ZJK doesn't need extra cash an is almost superstitious on his blade as ZJK ALC is basically a Viscaria.

This user has no status.
Another vote for Marcos Freitas! [emoji41]

abacf70c47837852c1a66ed9a1ba8910.jpg

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The one that u said Wang Chen explaining the differences between all three types of hurricane, is there any videos about that? I'd love to watch it

That was in a conversation. I am not in the habit of video taping conversations with people I know.

I can think of many that I would like to have recoreded. Matthew Suchy explaining the kind of racket that would be best for a developing player would be on my top ten list. But there are several with Michael Landers and Mark Croitoroo that I wish I had. Probably top pick of all times would be Mark showing me how to read the spin off a serve from the bounce, showing me the difference in arc for top, dead and backspin so you hopefully can pick it up even when you miss the cues from the contact.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hmmmmh, I thought Carl's SuperDuper NSA-Spyphone records EVERYTHING anyways...
[Emoji15]

That's why I only use it for tracking the goon squad and when I'm on assignment. But these days I mostly post from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy because then the SpyPhone won't decide to act on its own. Besides, those recordings are classified and I couldn't share them anyway. If you somehow saw them....well....bad things.....

Sent from my UpSideDown SpyPhone without my Consent

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
That's why I only use it for tracking the goon squad and when I'm on assignment. But these days I mostly post from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy because then the SpyPhone won't decide to act on its own. Besides, those recordings are classified and I couldn't share them anyway. If you somehow saw them....well....bad things.....

Sent from my UpSideDown SpyPhone without my Consent

Lulz
[Emoji23]
I actually like that telepathy from the subterranean workshop....
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
That was in a conversation. I am not in the habit of video taping conversations with people I know.

I can think of many that I would like to have recoreded. Matthew Suchy explaining the kind of racket that would be best for a developing player would be on my top ten list. But there are several with Michael Landers and Mark Croitoroo that I wish I had. Probably top pick of all times would be Mark showing me how to read the spin off a serve from the bounce, showing me the difference in arc for top, dead and backspin so you hopefully can pick it up even when you miss the cues from the contact.
The serve would be epic to watch, I think it is easy to see the spin on the serve watching from the side of the table 2 others playing but on the other end of the table I proper struggle sometimes. Wonder if there is one explaining, do you know of any? Would be great :)