Weight of pro blades

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wait, when you write on the Korean forums, are you able to write long rambling messages about chicken and beer bets as well as you do in English? [emoji2]

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

After you read my long story in the previous post, you will understand I never made a big deal on the forums, but I would imagine that there were a LOT of Koreans talking loud and strong about it on sub-forums. :D

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
Pros in Japan generaly picks 85g-90g and prefers lighter blade as modern rubber weighs heavier.
Mizutani once said he used 85g blade but it really depends on what season it was weighed.

In a given model, they tend to pick heavier blade as it gives better feel.
Bear in mind that the heavier blade doesn't mean faster loops as you can see from J-pen players with 130-140g total weight.

Well given tokyo's full blown humidity during summer, I won't be surprised it weighs 2-3 gr more during that season.

But 85g is surprisingly light. My IFL ZLC with Tenergies on both sides are damn light that it takes me probably 2 session to get used to the movement of the head. Bear in mind I use 93g TBS with T05s, so that's probably why

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Yep. Most blade manufacturers make their blades with a hollow space in the handle which makes the blade lighter but more head heavy. Der opens the handle up and fills the hollow space, he has added anywhere from 10-30 grams that way.

I have tested several of these where I got a before and after. So I knew what the blade felt like without the extra weight in the handle. And I felt it after. The blade invariably feels more solid. But, more interesting, it also feels lighter and you get more whipping action with the extra weight in the handle.

Sent from the Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

here is what Carl is talking about

i removed my handles from 2 blades.

1 . stiga 11 ply
2 . yasaka extra special - 7 ply - clipper clone with hard walnut outer - my current most fav blade

the yasaka extra special weighs in at 93 grams.. plays flexy and powerful and with control - some how all check marks on what i want on a blade. it blocks well due to the weight, it has high throw due to the flex, it has dwell due to the flex, and it has power due to weight and 7 ply.. plus it has this high pitch cracking sound due to the hard walnut outers.. - it is a dream !

the perfect playing weight of a high level player in my club area vary. the loopers / hitters seem to like 94-97 grams
the defenders that are very good in my club seem to light much lighter blades 78-80 grams

for me i have to have a blade in the 90 or higher. over all playing weight must be some where between 195 - 199 grams..
when you put rubbers on blades and load up the layers of glue, the racket becomes more flexible, and with that extra flex for me comes more control on hits and blocks.

like upsidedowncarl says, all makes some how hollow out the inners of the handle to get the weight down..

20161116_184013_resized.jpg20161116_182051_resized.jpg

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Nice to see your Yasaka have at least a solid throat, that counts for a lot. My beloved Kim Jung Hoon blade has a solid throat.

All the Stiga blade handles I have ever taken off you could holler out you name and hear echos for three minutes it is so hollow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
Der_Echte

looking up your blade now.. sounds interesting !

i agree with you.. the stiga clipper wrb is so hollow feeling and so head heavy , not even sure what they were going after ???

on a side note, i have a viscaria that is not flexy enough... how would you recommend me to modify it so it is more flexible?

Last edited:
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Folks who made and pimped the Wrb were after dollar bills like all the manufacturers... trying to make a new market where none was needed. But what the heck, enticing people to want stuff they don't need and still buy it is known as the art of business in some circles.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk