Back to Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    says Dima... Amazing...

Master TTD Member 858 2,204
    says Dima... Amazing...

Master TTD Member 2,204 858

User Info Menu

Extreme excessive screaming by Harimoto

A few posts have appeared recently about Harimoto's loud cheering but the World Junior Championships is a bit to much don't you think?

I read on a French site that Alexandre Cassin was really annoyed at Harimoto.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,985 1,714
    I
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,714 1,985
    But his opponents are not that quiet either. According to the screams in background Harimoto could easily be not the loudest there Probably his body language is what annoyed them.

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 141 113
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 113 141
    The problem is, while I really despise the kid for being so ridiculously annoying, the fact that Cassin is pissed off because of it kind of proves Harimoto right and gives him the acknowledgement that what he is doing has an effect, meaning he will most likely continue to scream his lungs out.

I really doubt that this behaviour will keep on as he grows older though.

The Following 2 Users Like Tryzerlol's Post:

Ilia Minkin and Takkyu_wa_inochi

This user has no status.

TTD Member 26 11
    D
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 11 26

User Info Menu

Being annoyed/complaining about excessive screaming (as long as it's before or after a ralley) always seems a little foolish to me - especially after losing a match. It just seems like you're looking for an excuse.

The Following User Likes DattJesicht's Post:

jedimasterplk

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,985 1,714
    I
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,714 1,985
    BTW, I wonder if he (or actually any other pros) yell in practice matches? Pissing off your practice partners can be actually a bad thing to do.

The Following User Likes Ilia Minkin's Post:

doraemon

says ┌П┐(°_°)┌П┐

Senior TTD Member 731 568
    X
    says ┌П┐(°_°)┌П┐

Senior TTD Member 568 731
    Well... he acts like a complete retard and therefore fits well into the world of table tennis. However, you cannot really blame him but rather his coaches.
    Last edited by Xylit; 12-08-2016 at 01:01 AM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 50 89
    B
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 89 50
    "However, you cannot really blame him but rather his coaches."

Huh? It is completely his choice as to whether or not he screams before and after every point. The coaches clearly don't give a shit, but this kid makes the decision.

says The cat's meow

Advanced TTD Member 215 225
    says The cat's meow

Advanced TTD Member 225 215
    I think its both. His coaches probably give him little tournament tactics such as screaming, and he decides to go along with it because it seems to work against certain opponents. Even his little sister screams like him.

Honorable mentions: Sakura Mori, Kim Song I, Bernadette Szocs, Liu Dingshuo

The Following User Likes countrybread's Post:

Ilia Minkin

says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 11,169 10,961
    says Grand Consultant to the Office of the Goon Squad

Master TTD Member 10,961 11,169

User Info Menu

A pic right up Country Bread's alley.

Name:  Cat-Cho 2.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  55.1 KB

The Following 4 Users Like Der_Echte's Post:

Boogar, NextLevel and 2 others

President, Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club. Hit us up on TTD or Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Janitor at NexyUSA TT Equipment Shop
    http://www.nexyusa.com

View our Lame Nexy USA corporate FB page
    http://www.facebook.com/nexyusa

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 387 644
    L
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 644 387

User Info Menu

There are some people who plays better when they vent out, while some plays better when they don't. Yelling has always been one way of letting out your adrenaline.

I don't mind Harimoto cho-ing every single point, but it needs to be done at the appropriate time. If you are on your 7th game or playing something like semi-finals and finals, sure. We all have seen ma long, zjk and mizutani when playing important matches. or look at Ryu seung min against wang hao at 2004 athens, it was a full blown yelling war but everyone understands what was at stake in that match, no one's gonna complain they were hyped like mad.

The Following 3 Users Like laistrogian's Post:

doraemon, loss and 1 other

This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 882 1,353
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,353 882
    Quote Originally Posted by laistrogian
    There are some people who plays better when they vent out, while some plays better when they don't. Yelling has always been one way of letting out your adrenaline.

I don't mind Harimoto cho-ing every single point, but it needs to be done at the appropriate time. If you are on your 7th game or playing something like semi-finals and finals, sure. We all have seen ma long, zjk and mizutani when playing important matches. or look at Ryu seung min against wang hao at 2004 athens, it was a full blown yelling war but everyone understands what was at stake in that match, no one's gonna complain they were hyped like mad.
    I just don`t mind when opponent is screaming when he hit it the way i can not reach the ball or so .... but when he scream like hell when i make a mistake is like insult for me ..... and this one is the exactly one who just do not have respect from the opponent ... what is more sad in this days ,,is most of the young players takes only this bad habits from the pros ...
    But i can not remember player from top 20 who has such bad habits.

The Following User Likes bobpuls's Post:

Jirrex

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 64 193
    V
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 193 64

User Info Menu

harimoto is most annoying player to watch.It would be good make a rule to prohibit such a yelling.Or give him a yellow card.Maybe to have loud meter or something like that and if you yell to much give him yellow card warning.Always loud "Sa" before each point and 2 times "chole ,cho."Its annoying to watch ,how about to play against him

The Following 2 Users Like vik's Post:

Baal and bobpuls

Last edited by vik; 12-08-2016 at 07:46 AM.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 4,426 3,683
    T
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 3,683 4,426
    you are right but its not very easy to tell in table tennis when is when ... I know a player who keeps on changing the spin on the ball a little bit at a time so that when you miss you keep feeling that its your fault but its not ...
    Quote Originally Posted by bobpuls
    I just don`t mind when opponent is screaming when he hit it the way i can not reach the ball or so .... but when he scream like hell when i make a mistake is like insult for me ..... and this one is the exactly one who just do not have respect from the opponent ... what is more sad in this days ,,is most of the young players takes only this bad habits from the pros ...
    But i can not remember player from top 20 who has such bad habits.

The Following 2 Users Like ttmonster's Post:

Suga D and UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 624 366
    Y
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 366 624
    Well... he acts like a complete retard and therefore fits well into the world of table tennis.
    Xylit,

I think this Is horrible thing to say about a sport that is loved by so many people.

How can you say something like this? Are you suggesting table tennis players are retarded?

Some attributes of players are annoying, granted, but "retarded"? No.

There are so many true ambassadors for the sport who show nothing but good sportsmanship and outstanding levels of professionalism - Timo Boll, Vladimir Samsonov etc...

Please do not categorise our sport as "retarded".

The Following 5 Users Like Yecats Encerwal's Post:

Donow, Jirrex and 3 others

Last edited by Yecats Encerwal; 12-08-2016 at 03:31 PM.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 211 220
    T
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 220 211
    My... how are you wondering that he has mental issues when half the people he knows wants to have sex with an octopus and other half wants to watch people have sex with an octopus

says The cat's meow

Advanced TTD Member 215 225
    says The cat's meow

Advanced TTD Member 225 215
    Quote Originally Posted by Der_Echte
    A pic right up Country Bread's alley.

Name:  Cat-Cho 2.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  55.1 KB
    Why I do believe you've just discovered a new breed of feline in its natural habitat. The cho cat! Notice how one arm is bigger than the other and its perfect looping form. Outstanding work der_echte!

The Following 3 Users Like countrybread's Post:

Suga D, thekleifheit13 and 1 other

says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 5,938 3,554
    B
    says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 3,554 5,938

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    My personal feeling is that these kids are being coached to do this. Otherwise it is just hard to see how screaming like that after every point is in any way natural. It is a relatively recent thing too, at least at this level. Waldner didn't do it. WLQ didn't do it. Zhang Yining didn't do it.

I hate it. I personally I think ITTF should do something about it. They won't. They took away ZJK's prize money but they won't do anything about this.

The Following 5 Users Like Baal's Post:

Jirrex, KM1976 and 3 others

says ...bending air...

Advanced TTD Member 311 281
    says ...bending air...

Advanced TTD Member 281 311
    I fear that one day one of his opponents is just gonna snap and knock him flat with a swinger right to the dome. The immature sociopathic part of me wouldn't feel sorry, maybe even enjoy it. Yes, I'm sort of joking, I do not wish him harm.

But he causes harm to his opponents. The screaming doesn't prove him "right", like someone here said. Of cause it will affect even the strongest of mental mindsets, who would even contest that? You play against someone, you make a stupid little mistake like pushing an easy ball into the net, you think "God damnit, that was unnecessary". The other guy had absolutely no doing or credit in him receiving an additional point in the set and all you instantly hear is a ridiculous bellowing. You fail a service return on the first or second point of the set, CHOOOOO!!!!!!, you misjudge the spin of the third ball a little and just barely overshoot the table and you wonder whether your opponent will be able to speak the next day.

I have not the slightest of aversion to a shout of relief after a well fought rally. I have absolutely nothing against a stress relieving short "SO!" just before serving. But that, that is not natural. That in my opinion is unspeakably terrible sportsmanship. It is bad intent, and if its not bad intent, its ignorance. He might as well replace the CHOOO with HAHAHAAA. I would love to watch his games but I just can't.

I'm probably on the more sensitive end of the spectrum and I'm sure there are players that absolutely accept this as part of the game. But I personally want to win by being better at the game. I want to win because I am mechanically more skilled, because I possess more finesse and game sense, not by psychological warfare. The mental part of the game does not imply that I would want to try to make my opponent worse by shouting him down - and I expect my opponent to do the same. Where I play, people actually sometimes say "Good one!" after their opponents hit a particularly nice shot on them. That is beautiful and humbling!

For a positive note: Isn't it thrilling to see upcoming talents like these? I wonder how high he will be rated in his prime! He has many, many good years to come Will he have a shot at beating Ma Long in 2 years time as a 15 year old like Wang Chuqin?! I do hope though that he keeps working hard and doesn't waste his talent or that he doesn't get bored with the sport... Would be a big loss!

The Following 3 Users Like sanavasaraja's Post:

Baal, loss and 1 other

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 214 310
    L
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 310 214

User Info Menu

May 2016
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    I think even more comical in the final, is that his opponent is named Cho! So every shout is like a direct call out, lol... CHO!

The Following 6 Users Like LordPippington's Post:

Baal, Boogar and 4 others

says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 5,938 3,554
    B
    says Ba'al has spoken

Master TTD Member 3,554 5,938

User Info Menu

Nov 2010
    Read 8 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger
    "However, you cannot really blame him but rather his coaches."

Huh? It is completely his choice as to whether or not he screams before and after every point. The coaches clearly don't give a shit, but this kid makes the decision.
    I suspect the coaches are telling him to do it, that this is good for him. Some sort of martial arts theory or something. Who knows? But in general people don't do this kind of thing spontaneously, not for the vast portion of the long history of the sport, and it is not like the psychology of sport has changed. Balls have changed, serve rules have changed, but people still feel the same pressures that they always did. I am convinced there is an intent behind it, and I suspect it is directed at the opponent, and I think it should be yellow and red carded.

The Following 2 Users Like Baal's Post:

NextLevel and Suga D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast