Extreme excessive screaming by Harimoto

This user has no status.
The problem is, while I really despise the kid for being so ridiculously annoying, the fact that Cassin is pissed off because of it kind of proves Harimoto right and gives him the acknowledgement that what he is doing has an effect, meaning he will most likely continue to scream his lungs out.

I really doubt that this behaviour will keep on as he grows older though.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
A pic right up Country Bread's alley.

Cat-Cho 2.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
There are some people who plays better when they vent out, while some plays better when they don't. Yelling has always been one way of letting out your adrenaline.

I don't mind Harimoto cho-ing every single point, but it needs to be done at the appropriate time. If you are on your 7th game or playing something like semi-finals and finals, sure. We all have seen ma long, zjk and mizutani when playing important matches. or look at Ryu seung min against wang hao at 2004 athens, it was a full blown yelling war but everyone understands what was at stake in that match, no one's gonna complain they were hyped like mad.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
There are some people who plays better when they vent out, while some plays better when they don't. Yelling has always been one way of letting out your adrenaline.

I don't mind Harimoto cho-ing every single point, but it needs to be done at the appropriate time. If you are on your 7th game or playing something like semi-finals and finals, sure. We all have seen ma long, zjk and mizutani when playing important matches. or look at Ryu seung min against wang hao at 2004 athens, it was a full blown yelling war but everyone understands what was at stake in that match, no one's gonna complain they were hyped like mad.
I just don`t mind when opponent is screaming when he hit it the way i can not reach the ball or so .... but when he scream like hell when i make a mistake is like insult for me ..... and this one is the exactly one who just do not have respect from the opponent ... what is more sad in this days ,,is most of the young players takes only this bad habits from the pros ...
But i can not remember player from top 20 who has such bad habits.

Reactions: Jirrex

vik

This user has no status.

vik

This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
harimoto is most annoying player to watch.It would be good make a rule to prohibit such a yelling.Or give him a yellow card.Maybe to have loud meter or something like that and if you yell to much give him yellow card warning.Always loud "Sa" before each point and 2 times "chole ,cho."Its annoying to watch ,how about to play against him

Last edited:
Reactions: Baal and bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
you are right but its not very easy to tell in table tennis when is when ... I know a player who keeps on changing the spin on the ball a little bit at a time so that when you miss you keep feeling that its your fault but its not ...
I just don`t mind when opponent is screaming when he hit it the way i can not reach the ball or so .... but when he scream like hell when i make a mistake is like insult for me ..... and this one is the exactly one who just do not have respect from the opponent ... what is more sad in this days ,,is most of the young players takes only this bad habits from the pros ...
But i can not remember player from top 20 who has such bad habits.

This user has no status.
Well... he acts like a complete retard and therefore fits well into the world of table tennis.

Xylit,

I think this Is horrible thing to say about a sport that is loved by so many people.

How can you say something like this? Are you suggesting table tennis players are retarded?

Some attributes of players are annoying, granted, but "retarded"? No.

There are so many true ambassadors for the sport who show nothing but good sportsmanship and outstanding levels of professionalism - Timo Boll, Vladimir Samsonov etc...

Please do not categorise our sport as "retarded".

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
A pic right up Country Bread's alley.

View attachment 11543

Why I do believe you've just discovered a new breed of feline in its natural habitat. The cho cat! Notice how one arm is bigger than the other and its perfect looping form. Outstanding work der_echte!

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
My personal feeling is that these kids are being coached to do this. Otherwise it is just hard to see how screaming like that after every point is in any way natural. It is a relatively recent thing too, at least at this level. Waldner didn't do it. WLQ didn't do it. Zhang Yining didn't do it.

I hate it. I personally I think ITTF should do something about it. They won't. They took away ZJK's prize money but they won't do anything about this.

This user has no status.
I fear that one day one of his opponents is just gonna snap and knock him flat with a swinger right to the dome. The immature sociopathic part of me wouldn't feel sorry, maybe even enjoy it. Yes, I'm sort of joking, I do not wish him harm.

But he causes harm to his opponents. The screaming doesn't prove him "right", like someone here said. Of cause it will affect even the strongest of mental mindsets, who would even contest that? You play against someone, you make a stupid little mistake like pushing an easy ball into the net, you think "God damnit, that was unnecessary". The other guy had absolutely no doing or credit in him receiving an additional point in the set and all you instantly hear is a ridiculous bellowing. You fail a service return on the first or second point of the set, CHOOOOO!!!!!!, you misjudge the spin of the third ball a little and just barely overshoot the table and you wonder whether your opponent will be able to speak the next day.

I have not the slightest of aversion to a shout of relief after a well fought rally. I have absolutely nothing against a stress relieving short "SO!" just before serving. But that, that is not natural. That in my opinion is unspeakably terrible sportsmanship. It is bad intent, and if its not bad intent, its ignorance. He might as well replace the CHOOO with HAHAHAAA. I would love to watch his games but I just can't.

I'm probably on the more sensitive end of the spectrum and I'm sure there are players that absolutely accept this as part of the game. But I personally want to win by being better at the game. I want to win because I am mechanically more skilled, because I possess more finesse and game sense, not by psychological warfare. The mental part of the game does not imply that I would want to try to make my opponent worse by shouting him down - and I expect my opponent to do the same. Where I play, people actually sometimes say "Good one!" after their opponents hit a particularly nice shot on them. That is beautiful and humbling!

For a positive note: Isn't it thrilling to see upcoming talents like these? I wonder how high he will be rated in his prime! He has many, many good years to come :) Will he have a shot at beating Ma Long in 2 years time as a 15 year old like Wang Chuqin?! I do hope though that he keeps working hard and doesn't waste his talent or that he doesn't get bored with the sport... Would be a big loss!

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
"However, you cannot really blame him but rather his coaches."

Huh? It is completely his choice as to whether or not he screams before and after every point. The coaches clearly don't give a shit, but this kid makes the decision.

I suspect the coaches are telling him to do it, that this is good for him. Some sort of martial arts theory or something. Who knows? But in general people don't do this kind of thing spontaneously, not for the vast portion of the long history of the sport, and it is not like the psychology of sport has changed. Balls have changed, serve rules have changed, but people still feel the same pressures that they always did. I am convinced there is an intent behind it, and I suspect it is directed at the opponent, and I think it should be yellow and red carded.