Rubber warmer by Donic

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Saw this beeing tested in Japan couple weeks ago.
The results have been positive as it's reported to make the rubber faster for 30-40mins by warming the rubber up to 50 degrees.

Has anyone from Germany tried it?

2016-11-30_06-50-30.jpg

Reactions: Cornel and Suga D
says Aging is a killer
Interesting.
Us players in the north have always done this by sticking the bat near room heaters or under ones' clothing. Some players also breathe on the ball, during knockup, in order to to warm it up a bit.
This made the bat more grippy not speedy and eliminated bat condensation. It does work, but the bat gets to room temperature in a couple of minutes.
The chief benefit was that it was better than going into the match with a cold, sometimes, wet bat.
I always thought that something like this product would be handy but the benefit claims look a bit exaggerated.
Used sensibly, I don't see it shortening rubber life by much. And I don't see any use for players living in Texas :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Saw this beeing tested in Japan couple weeks ago.
The results have been positive as it's reported to make the rubber faster for 30-40mins by warming the rubber up to 50 degrees.

Has anyone from Germany tried it?

View attachment 11542

Hey ttpshot, thanks for sharing. Haven´t seen this before. A quick web search on official Donic website hasn´t delivered any results. I also checked www.ta-q.jp and www.tt-japan.net and couldn´t find it.
Amazing...
Where do you have this from?
Too bad, i just ordered myself something doing the same job recommended from a chopper i know. He uses it to warm up his BT Tackiness C....

5131_0.jpg

here´s the product description:

Contra.de said:
The HERO Advantage is a new patented racket sleeve with a heating function. The rubbers of a table tennis racket can be heated up to 40 to 50 °C which improves the performance significantly. At higher rubber temperatures much more speed and spin can be created. In addition to that there are no more problems with water condensation on the rubbers in cold or wet gyms. The operation is very easy. The HERO Advantage contains two heating pads which need to be heated up in a microwave oven. Due to innovative heat recovery materials the temperature can be hold for 4 to 5 hours. The heating pads are reusable.

Interesting. Years ago they were selling a gizmo that would pump gas into your rubber.

This is a great deal for Donic if it shortens rubber life.

Completely wrong. Actually it´s the other way around, as iastrogian and tinykin stated already.

Warm rubbers not only perform better, they also last longer...
That's a matter of physics.

I'm not surprised that it performs better. It's scientifically proven that rubber does grips better when they are warmed up, hence you see in Formula 1, they always heat the tires before pitstops. In fact the tires will grip much less if you go to slow.

+1
Exactly
[Emoji2]

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Hey ttpshot, thanks for sharing. Haven´t seen this before. A quick web search on official Donic website hasn´t delivered any results. I also checked www.ta-q.jp and www.tt-japan.net and couldn´t find it.
Amazing...
Where do you have this from?
Too bad, i just ordered myself something doing the same job recommended from a chopper i know. He uses it to warm up his BT Tackiness C....

View attachment 11545

here´s the product description:

The HERO Advantage is a new patented racket sleeve with a heating function. The rubbers of a table tennis racket can be heated up to 40 to 50 °C which improves the performance significantly. At higher rubber temperatures much more speed and spin can be created. In addition to that there are no more problems with water condensation on the rubbers in cold or wet gyms. The operation is very easy. The HERO Advantage contains two heating pads which need to be heated up in a microwave oven. Due to innovative heat recovery materials the temperature can be hold for 4 to 5 hours. The heating pads are reusable.

Completely wrong. Actually it´s the other way around, as iastrogian and tinykin stated already.

Warm rubbers not only perform better, they also last longer...
That's a matter of physics.

+1
Exactly
[Emoji2]

Oh nice. I've got this from equipment blog in Japan who works for TT magazine.
It's coming out sometime next month and it's powered by USB as opposed to your microwave.
It does exactly the same thing as your pad so can't wait till hear your report!

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Oh nice. I've got this from equipment blog in Japan who works for TT magazine.
It's coming out sometime next month and it's powered by USB as opposed to your microwave.
It does exactly the same thing as your pad so can't wait till hear your report!

Very interesting. Thank you.
Mine should be arriving either tomorrow or saturday.
Hopefully.
[Emoji15]
But USB powered sounds nice. Hope it will be available on german market.

I just tried to order the Singapurian National Shirt from Donic in Germany, but apparently it's not sold over here.
Now i will have to order it from tt-japan.net.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I was mostly joking. It seemed like a brilliant marketing scheme like toothpaste manufacturers selling very long tooth brushes.

I am not an expert on the physics of TT rubber like some people, apparently. (But bear in mind that oxidation reactions are accelerated at higher temperatures, also, what if the expansion of gasses with temperature causes some of the walls in large-pore sponges to rupture). I can tell you for a fact (unfortunately) that leaving a blade in a car in Houston in July for a few hours does bad things for the future durability of Tenergy rubber. I don't think it made it to 50 degrees. I would suggest not leaving you racket in this device too long at any one time.

Last edited:
says what [IMG]
Like @laistrogian said, heat is good for rubber.

In terms of automobile tire rubber in race cars, you really don't want to be pushing the limits of what they can do when cold. It will cause tearing and other such damage. After a few laps around a standard 2 minute course, pushing hard on cold tires, especially if you slide them excessively, their maximum grip and usable life will really go down.

I doubt that table tennis rubber works exactly like high performance slick tires do. However I really could see it extending shelf life and performance, if they were heated up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I was mostly joking. It seemed like a brilliant marketing scheme like toothpaste manufacturers selling very long tooth brushes.
ah, i see. It came across a little differently, Baal. I know german companies don´t have the best reputation after the Volkswagen swindle, but not every german company is cheating.

Well, anyway. As tiny already pointed out, it doesn´t make a lot of sense in Texas. This is mostly used in cold weather areas like Nebraska, Wisconsin, Canada and such...

I am not an expert on the physics of TT rubber like some people, apparently. (But bear in mind that oxidation reactions are accelerated at higher temperatures, also, what if the expansion of gasses with temperature causes some of the walls in large-pore sponges to rupture). I can tell you for a fact (unfortunately) that leaving a blade in a car in Houston in July for a few hours does bad things for the future durability of Tenergy rubber. I don't think it made it to 50 degrees. I would suggest not leaving you racket in this device too long at any one time.

I don´t think i wrote that i´m an expert on physics, but we learned stuff like this in school. Sorry if i came across as if i wanted to be schooling you.

But as Carl wrote in a different thread lately: too much of a good thing might not be so good at all. So i believe there is a point of temperature where you are absolutely correct. But i think this point is beyond 50 degrees Celsius and cars can get way more hot parked in the sun (a test showed 68.7 degrees Celsius), and is part of the reason why one shouldn´t leave babies or pets in the car in summer.

In fact Meteorologist Scott Sutherland once made an experiment and has been baking cookies inside a car by just letting them stay inside.
Here´s a link to this:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/n...-baking-cookies-in-a-sweltering-hot-car/55534

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Yes. That makes sense, also the time spent at high temperature could be important, so I still wouldn't keep my blade in one of those things any longer that needed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016

This is another aspect that people need to be wary about when warming the rubber. The process of oxidation.

Heating anything is basically a process of accelerated oxidation, so you will one way or another, degrade the durability.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well, I heard from Donic that there will be a demonstration booth set up at the Japan Nationals on 1/16-22.
I'll find out if it's as good as they say!

That would be very kind.

I've been told that the racket sleeve i've ordered isn't very popular around young people and is mostly used by older gents...
Does that mean that I'm getting old?
[Emoji2]
Well anyway, I'll keep you posted when mine has arrived

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
ITTF Rules said:
3.04.02.02 The racket covering shall be used as it has been authorised by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, colour, structure, surface, etc.; in particular, no additives shall be used.

In Germany the Federation issued a paper stating that treating the rubbers with heat is a physical treatment and therefore not allowed.