How much bigger is the rubber allowed to be?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2013
Read 6 reviews
I see that most pro's rubbers are quite a lot bigger than the blade (not just cutting inaccuracy), like 1-2mm. Is there a rule for this?

From my understanding, i believe not. Most of the time this happens if because professional boost their rubbers, causing it to expand. Another reason is if people don't want to use edge tape, so they cut the rubber larger than normal to protect the blades edge.

This user has no status.
From my understanding, i believe not. Most of the time this happens if because professional boost their rubbers, causing it to expand. Another reason is if people don't want to use edge tape, so they cut the rubber larger than normal to protect the blades edge.
Not a very good idea practically. When you hit the edge then the rubber will be detached. Not the whole thing, but a part. Might be playable still, for some its annoyance effect their play. Same if you're not careful when putting it in/out if the case, or happen to bump to something. Then more often than not you'll need to re-glue it. If it happens during game/match what a pain. If it happens when you don't bring glue, you're screwed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I see that most pro's rubbers are quite a lot bigger than the blade (not just cutting inaccuracy), like 1-2mm. Is there a rule for this?

Indeed there is. The rubber has to cover the blade exactly. However small differences are tolerated, these being the 1 or 2 mm you mentioned. You will find this in some ITTF leaflet on practical rule interpretation. I have seen umpires force layers to cut their rubbers during racket control, though, and I don´t think there is any tolerance for smaller rubbers at all.

This user has no status.
2.04.04 The covering material shall extend up to but not beyond the limits of the blade, except that the part nearest the handle and gripped by the fingers may be left uncovered or covered with any material.

I really hope that this rule is not strictly enforced. My rubber can be 1 cm larger than my spare blade.

?????(>?<)?????

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk