Tomokazu Harimoto younger sister Miwa Harimoto!

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Umpires in other sport's do it, are empowered to make judgment calls like that. I have no problem with it. People on trial four serious crimes face judgment calls.

. First warn them. Then call it. It would stop it fast because coaches would stop telling their kids to use it as a tactic!!

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
It is sad that a conversation about a fun match between two cute and talented kids turns to this. And she is not her brother. But it is a bad trend mostly seen in kids. It is unavoidable now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I tend to yell as well, not on all points, not as much as HARIMOTO of course. its important for me to stay focused and stay positive. Usually, I'm not really bothered by my opponent yelling..

Nothing to say against that. Some people might find it helpful to keep up their adrenaline level when in battle mode. But THIS specific mindset is the big difference to what these kids do... But right, i've already even seen and heard worse and even louder...

The yelling seems pretty annoying but, ironically, it might be better for players in the long run. Not the yeller but the player who has to put up with the annoying opponent. Only the strong survive in this sport so unless there's a rule change they must learn to adapt and become mentally stronger. Mima Ito is very quiet when she plays and I remember her saying that the yelling doesn't bother her. She learned how to deal with it.

You make a very good point right there.

That's fair.

And yes such a simple solution to what's one of the more dumb things in table tennis. Just start calling excessive choing based on the umps impression. Choing? Sure still accepted. But if it's excessive & over the top? Start calling it.

But then again: who decides this? I believe it would be based on very personal taste of the umpire... Not so sure 'bout this, if this is the best way... Doesn't sound like a rule that would be easy to enforce. One umpire might fault things that another umpire wouldn't.

It is sad that a conversation about a fun match between two cute and talented kids turns to this. And she is not her brother. But it is a bad trend mostly seen in kids. It is unavoidable now.
I wouldn't see it so negative.
For real: I used to get very upset when my opponent cho'ed when i made a serve mistake or pushed one into the net, but then i've learned that it's actually not me, who looks like a fool when my opponent cho'es after i made a silly mistake... And if he really needs it so much to push himself and his game when i make an unnecessary mistake, then he REALLY needs it, and is probably not as good as he thinks he is....
So in the end his cho'ing gave me more confidence in myself.
[Which i'm pretty sure that this wasn't what he wanted]
[Emoji2]
I actually remember saying exactly this, to someone doing that.

But usually most kids grow out of this after a while.

But what grinded my gears much heavier is when the opponent cho'es after a good rally and gives you a mean look in the face. That used to really get me going, but after having an argument after the match i realised that none of this was meant personal, so i guess i got somehow over that...

Now back to topic:
I think Tomokazu's sister plays extraordinarily well for an eight year old!
[Emoji6]

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
But what grinded my gears much heavier is when the opponent cho'es after a good rally and gives you a mean look in the face. That used to really get me going, but after having an argument after the match i realised that none of this was meant personal, so i guess i got somehow over that...
[Emoji6]

I'm with you there. Celebrating a point by screaming is not considered a bad manner but giving you a look is.
As a parent, watching kids sreaming after every point is hell annoying but as long as it's not intended to intimidate the opponent, I have no problem with that.

We've experienced huge increase in junior players in recent years so the bad manners are becoming a problem and choing is only a part of it.