Tomokazu Harimoto younger sister Miwa Harimoto!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I post this in a new subject at Dan's request.

She's only 8 (1st year in primary school), and got to the final of the National Championships (jan 2016) in her "bambi" category [she lost to a girl named Koshio]

Here are some videos (almost the same)

i could not find any other video from her. But the next championships are next month so we might see new videos of her again very soon...

Will Miwa follow her brothers success?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
No Probs!
Hopes/Cub/Bambi nationals is on July every year so I'm also looking forward to see her in action then.
I must say, being sponsored by Butterfly at the age of 8 is pretty good achievement!

ah i thought it was in January as well. I'll be going to the Gymnasium see the pros next month

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
ah i thought it was in January as well. I'll be going to the Gymnasium see the pros next month

Nice, I'll be there on Saturday as well!
National tournament for seniors and juniors(U18) is indeed on Jan and held in Tokyo. HoCuBa(U12~) nationals is on Jul every year and it's held in Kobe.

She might become good enough to qualify for U18 category next year.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Here is what I noticed. She looked a bit sad sometimes when she lost points. That is normal, you can see it in her face. But when she won a point, she would scream, but there was no accompanying facial sign of emotion to go with her scream. It is forced, not natural. Even her screams seemed a bit like she was going through the motions, sort of like when people exaggerate some technical thing they are at the early stages of learning.

I conclude she is being coached to do it.

Especially since the behavior is exactly like her brother in so many details. The other little boy doesn't do it. Most people don't do it. Indeed, even siblings often don't behave exactly the same way.

They need to start carding it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews
Most important question: is she a screamer like her brother?

Look at genius Baal's post below :cool:

Here is what I noticed. She looked a bit sad sometimes when she lost points. That is normal, you can see it in her face. But when she won a point, she would scream, but there was no accompanying facial sign of emotion to go with her scream. It is forced, not natural. Even her screams seemed a bit like she was going through the motions, sort of like when people exaggerate some technical thing they are at the early stages of learning.

I conclude she is being coached to do it.

Especially since the behavior is exactly like her brother in so many details. The other little boy doesn't do it. Most people don't do it. Indeed, even siblings often don't behave exactly the same way.

They need to start carding it.

I love your posts Baal! Definitely need to start carding it, will not surprise me that a new rule will be bought in soon.

On the plus side, we have a new Mima Ito!!

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Heh, I knew it'd turn into screaming/irritation thread.
Yes, they(U12 players) are coached to do it and not just Harimoto.
No, she's not that vocal. In fact, she's considerably less noisy than other kids at that age.

I think it's got do with their mentality. Altough Japanese are relatively quiet in nature, they tend to go overboard when they are either told to or given licenced to do so.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Is that how penholders start to play at that age when they can't hold the bat properly yet?

Nope, apparently she picked it up like that and kept playing with it.
Very interesting how her mum didn't try to correct the grip considering she used to be one of the top player in Japan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
The yelling seems pretty annoying but, ironically, it might be better for players in the long run. Not the yeller but the player who has to put up with the annoying opponent. Only the strong survive in this sport so unless there's a rule change they must learn to adapt and become mentally stronger. Mima Ito is very quiet when she plays and I remember her saying that the yelling doesn't bother her. She learned how to deal with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
The yelling seems pretty annoying but, ironically, it might be better for players in the long run. Not the yeller but the player who has to put up with the annoying opponent. Only the strong survive in this sport so unless there's a rule change they must learn to adapt and become mentally stronger. Mima Ito is very quiet when she plays and I remember her saying that the yelling doesn't bother her. She learned how to deal with it.

I tend to yell as well, not on all points, not as much as HARIMOTO of course. its important for me to stay focused and stay positive. Usually, I'm not really bothered by my opponent yelling..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Is that how penholders start to play at that age when they can't hold the bat properly yet?

Seems to make sense though. My daughter is 6 and the penhold grip is really hard for her to get her fingers around.

On a side note, Harimoto has done this to himself. Now known for being an obnoxious screamer to where you mention his sister and it's the first thing everybody thinks of. Is she like her brother?

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
He didn't do it to himself if he has been coached to do it.

These are kids, this guy, his little sister, and all the other screami g kids. They try to please their coaches.

TTpshot says it is the mentality. I ask, whose mentality? Not any of the great Japanese players since the 50s! Not like this. This is new. And they need to start carding it. Screaming right before the oppo ent serves? That is a worthless tactic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
He didn't do it to himself if he has been coached to do it.

they need to start carding it.

That's fair.

And yes such a simple solution to what's one of the more dumb things in table tennis. Just start calling excessive choing based on the umps impression. Choing? Sure still accepted. But if it's excessive & over the top? Start calling it.