Butterfly Viscaria Blade Review with Liam Pitchford!

This user has no status.
I've been a DHS Hurricane Long 5 user for nearly two years now. I've experimented with the Stiga Carbonado 190, Zhang Jike Super ZLC, Inner force ZLC, and recently the Butterfly Viscaria.

I love my Long 5 but last night I played with my Viscaria for the first time and WOW!!!!!! The control is amazing on my serves. The dwell time is slightly longer.

The Viscaria is not as fast as the Long 5, and it's not as hard as the Long 5. But I think those are advantages. Now I know that no blade is absolutely perfect in every aspect, but what the Viscaria lacks in comparison to the Long 5, it totally makes up for in control. The Long 5 and the Stiga Carbonado 190 play exceptionally well off the table. Almost effortlessly. The Stiga Carbonado 190 plays more all around than the Long 5 and also has better control. But it's still extremely fast and I don't recommend it for beginners or lower level intermediate players. The Stiga Carbonado 190 is no joke. If your looking for an upgrade from the Viscaria, and if your skill level is adequate then the Stiga Carbonado series is something you may benefit from.

Back to the Viscaria. WOW!!!!! Now I see why so many top players swear by it. Touch and speed!! Control and power!!!! It simply does what you tell it. The greatest advantage for me is the control and spin I'm getting on my serves. Reverse pendulum is my go to serve and it's simply on another level right now.

Wish me luck, just starting to beat 1900 level players at my club. Unless they use long, medium, or short pips. Lol

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I've been a DHS Hurricane Long 5 user for nearly two years now. I've experimented with the Stiga Carbonado 190, Zhang Jike Super ZLC, Inner force ZLC, and recently the Butterfly Viscaria.

I love my Long 5 but last night I played with my Viscaria for the first time and WOW!!!!!! The control is amazing on my serves. The dwell time is slightly longer.

The Viscaria is not as fast as the Long 5, and it's not as hard as the Long 5. But I think those are advantages. Now I know that no blade is absolutely perfect in every aspect, but what the Viscaria lacks in comparison to the Long 5, it totally makes up for in control. The Long 5 and the Stiga Carbonado 190 play exceptionally well off the table. Almost effortlessly. The Stiga Carbonado 190 plays more all around than the Long 5 and also has better control. But it's still extremely fast and I don't recommend it for beginners or lower level intermediate players. The Stiga Carbonado 190 is no joke. If your looking for an upgrade from the Viscaria, and if your skill level is adequate then the Stiga Carbonado series is something you may benefit from.

Back to the Viscaria. WOW!!!!! Now I see why so many top players swear by it. Touch and speed!! Control and power!!!! It simply does what you tell it. The greatest advantage for me is the control and spin I'm getting on my serves. Reverse pendulum is my go to serve and it's simply on another level right now.

Wish me luck, just starting to beat 1900 level players at my club. Unless they use long, medium, or short pips. Lol

Kevin, good to see you back. Sounds like you are playing well.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
Great to be here and great to see you as well. I'm getting there slowly but surely. Feels kinda good when those players who didn't want to play me because I wasn't a challenge for them. Now they call me out. Lol

11-9 or deuce in the 5th game is what I'm known for at the club now. Win or lose, you'll know I'm there. LOL

I was so hesitant to try another blade because I've finally got over my "EJ" stage. And didn't want to ignite my inner monster again. But since watching Lin Gaoyuan and his game. And the fact that one of the clubs I go to has blades just sitting around begging to be bought and played with. The Viscaria just kept calling me. I held out for months hoping someone would buy it. But yesterday it was still there. Looking so lonely and unhappy. Lol So I rescued it from its glass prison.

What a great thing I did. Now those shots that were going just long or clipping the net because of the speed of the Long 5. Well, the spin monster Viscaria just lays them on the table easily now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
This is one of life's mysteries, but there is no doubt that it is kiri. People have been confused by that for many years. For more than two decades the blade also had the word "perfomance" on it. Another mystery is why it took more than 20 years for Btfly to finally correct it.

Could it be that Bty accidentally wrote down the composition of viscaria light?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Hey all,

We have just released our latest TableTennisDaily review on the Butterfly Viscaria blade with world top 50 player Liam Pitchford! It was fantastic to spend the day with Liam prior to his European qualifying match between England and Greece. Before the match I got some time with Liam to review the Butterfly Viscaria blade which Liam uses as his blade of choice. The Viscaria has been a very popular blade for a long time, and was made even more famous after London 2012 Olympic Champion Zhang Jike started using it.

Written in-depth review of the Butterfly Viscaria blade in the TTD Review Centre here.

Have you, or do you use this blade? Any questions, leave below guys :) I was completely surprised by the sheer speed and spin Liam puts on the ball!
What happened to your youtube channel???

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk