Butterfly Viscaria Blade Review with Liam Pitchford!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey all,

We have just released our latest TableTennisDaily review on the Butterfly Viscaria blade with world top 50 player Liam Pitchford! It was fantastic to spend the day with Liam prior to his European qualifying match between England and Greece. Before the match I got some time with Liam to review the Butterfly Viscaria blade which Liam uses as his blade of choice. The Viscaria has been a very popular blade for a long time, and was made even more famous after London 2012 Olympic Champion Zhang Jike started using it.

Written in-depth review of the Butterfly Viscaria blade in the TTD Review Centre here.

Have you, or do you use this blade? Any questions, leave below guys :) I was completely surprised by the sheer speed and spin Liam puts on the ball!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2012
second !! nice video - excellent

keep up the great work on topics like this using real high level players (up close and personal)

the viscara is one of those legendary blades that need its own review done in your style <-- i am glad you finally did it on a legacy blade.

the flex and power and crispyness is what makes this blade so good for so many.. though the heavier ones are the ones real hitters use..

i wonder on Zhang Jike's blade what is the weight that he plays with? also with Liam how many blades does he carry? his main and how many backups?

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Great blade. Great player. My only complaint is that many years ago they decided to stop making in in ST. Why? Who knows?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Great blade. Great player. My only complaint is that many years ago they decided to stop making in in ST. Why? Who knows?

The answer from Butterfly is always "there's not enough demand". They do recognize the need for ST/AN hence the new models almost always have full range of grip options and gradualy shift towards FL only.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Nov 2015
Last edited:

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
My question - what did you think of Stoke?

rainystoke.jpg

:D

I didn't get to see much of Stoke but a few of my friends went to watch the Greece vs England match and had a great time.

second !! nice video - excellent

i wonder on Zhang Jike's blade what is the weight that he plays with? also with Liam how many blades does he carry? his main and how many backups?

Thanks for the comments Phamster, that is a good question. I will try to find out about Liam's and get back to you :)

Will try to find out for you on this one Baal. I would have thought straight and flare handles were the most popular to.

Dan please review about timoboll spirit:)

Will see what I can do :)

Thanks for another top grade review from TTD! Wish Dan can do the new HL5 next time to complete this Olympics cycle. :eek: Nothing can beat a comparison test of Viscaria vs HL5 to see who is the winner. That must be epic! :cool:

Thanks TurboZ, that would be awesome! I will try my best to make this happen.

Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
As with the Korbel, the first two series of Viscaria were available with ST handles and then they stopped making them that way. Strange decision, also not one they made for all of their blades, just some. Dan, I doubt anyone will tell you why, except for "lack of demand".

The odd thing is that ZJK ALC, which Btfly wants you to buy instead (because it is almost thecsame blade but $50 more) comes in three handle shapes. By almost the same, i mean even closer to Viscaria than TBS.

Of course, you can just buy one of those with ST. But Btfly discontinued Viscaria ST before either of those others were introduced.

Last edited:
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
guys still ... on the butterfly web page is written that the core is from balsa ... and on the screen shots it looks like balsa.... so why is written it is kiry core ?

This is one of life's mysteries, but there is no doubt that it is kiri. People have been confused by that for many years. For more than two decades the blade also had the word "perfomance" on it. Another mystery is why it took more than 20 years for Btfly to finally correct it.

Reactions: Suga D