Pip for attacking back spin/chops?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Back to experimenting with the pips here... currently, I am looking for a pip that is very good at attacking pushes/chops, using the relative "flat" stroke. I have been using anti/LP and really liked that aspect of them, as I don't have much of a loop. However, I'm thinking of going to a MP or SP for more attacking potential.

So does anyone know of a pip that is good at attacking back spin stuff, but still has a fairly consistent smash/block game against top spin? But perhaps a LP if one fits the bill.

Reactions: BeGo
says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
I used to play with tsp curl p-4 chop long pimples. Great for chopping but we're also very good at a sort of looping /hitting through of received backspin. I found the 1.1-1.3mm sponge version worked best for me.

It's all subjective, but I really liked 755 OX, 0.5 and 1.0 for hitting. Also liked DG, but far too fragile, but deadly. CK531 and Cloud and Fog III both OX were excellent, but better for agressive bumps rather than hitting.

Also good was P-1R.

P-4 and FL3 were easy to hit with but less dangerous.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You will get a thousand different answers and wander into the dark side of EJ. This is some of the area Greg Letts discusses, but everyone goes through a "Search the Universe" phase of their TT lives.

Enjoy the journey. It has the possibility of being fun at least.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Leatherback in the house !!

TTD Joe: Leatherback... pfffng, Just a USATT 250 player, who would want to listen to him ?? !!

Der_Echte: Virginia, he is 2500 level and prolly 5 levers better than me, you might wanna listen to him.

TTD Joe: OK, where is the link to buy what he recommends?

Der_Echte: Work on Ur internet / modern library skillz plz

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Back to experimenting with the pips here... currently, I am looking for a pip that is very good at attacking pushes/chops, using the relative "flat" stroke. I have been using anti/LP and really liked that aspect of them, as I don't have much of a loop. However, I'm thinking of going to a MP or SP for more attacking potential.

So does anyone know of a pip that is good at attacking back spin stuff, but still has a fairly consistent smash/block game against top spin? But perhaps a LP if one fits the bill.

I need just a little bit more spin... and then down the rabbit? lol, yep!

I was trying out spinpips 21, and it seems to do most everything I want. You can do the open face punch block kind of shot to return back spin shots with. Not as easily as with the anti, but still doable. And it can also attack top spin/no spin balls much better.

I'm mainly looking for something that I can attack back spin with, but also keep the option of attacking top spins too. If that is possible. Maybe a relatively spinless short pip?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
If anyone was curious, I've been testing out spinlord gipfelsturm in 1.8... and bam! It seems to be about the perfect rubber for my purposes. Classified as a "long pip" but quite rigid and stiff in the pimples. They're not bendable really, at all. Nothing like a curl rubber where you can thumb across the top and make the "bvvvvvvvvp" sound. These are pretty much set in place with slight movements.

It plays like a mix of medium pips and long pips. In that you can punch-block/attack backspins and pushes as you would with LP or frictionless anti (slightly diminished though). And you can also block pretty much like you would with inverted, only much less spin sensitive. Heavy spins are easy to redirect around the table. The amount of reversal is dependent upon the incoming spin. More often than not, the ball is returned relatively dead. If your opponent cranks up the spin, then your blocks will have a bit more reversal. If you base your game on reversal and rely on having 'heavy chop' returned off of blocks, then I don't think you'll like this rubber. It's more of a point and shoot variety.

No spin balls or low spin balls... they can be attacked, but not too fiercely, or you risk having the ball float long. You'd have to do more placement with moderate pace, rather than a SLAM finish as you see with short pips. I feel that you can attack the high "float" balls pretty effectively, much more so than you can with LP or anti. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but the one or two here and there should be easy putaways.

You can also attack moderate top spin balls, but again, using controlled power. What I really like about the rubber is its ability to chop the ball at really any pace and spin. Low spin balls can be chopped back with a lot of rotation. And top spin balls can also be chopped back with a bit of reversal, and a lot of your own spin. It's not nearly as easy as chopping with actual LP, in that the ball does tend to return quite high against heavy top spin, so your blade angle is important. In that aspect, they're more like SP chopping. Variety of spin over heavy chop reliance again.

For my game of block close and chop mid to long, these are about as good as you could hope for. They're not as idiot proof as slick LP's when it comes to serve return so there is some danger there, to a degree. You can pretty much bop back any back spin serve (ala long pips/anti), but if they trick you with a top spin serve, you can expect to have it fly up if you don't adjust. Whereas with the frictionless anti or slick LP, you won't be punished too heavily for that sort of thing.

Last edited:
DSC_1100.jpg

I would strongly recommend you the 802-40. I first thought i could be good because it's cheap but i bought it because it's my first try with pips. But surprisingly it got so much gears and power it maybe because of my blade but now i'm able to smash with impressive speed for a pip. you can do a lot of placement and put your opponent in trouble with wrist movement.:eek:
First I struggled for few weeks:(. But things got sooo good it will takes like two months for yourself to settle for the rubber but after that its all good.:cool: I got all the pros from inverted and pips as I feel. the only bad thing is the narrow margin for error while you looping a little timing error will send the ball to net but i will guarantee you it will get better. I'm really impressed with the rubber. I usually don't reply to threads because i'm no expert but this i felt like typing. other thing is i noticed rubber really settle for the rubber two months after gluing.

Last edited:
Leatherback in the house !!

TTD Joe: Leatherback... pfffng, Just a USATT 250 player, who would want to listen to him ?? !!

Der_Echte: Virginia, he is 2500 level and prolly 5 levers better than me, you might wanna listen to him.

TTD Joe: OK, where is the link to buy what he recommends?

Der_Echte: Work on Ur internet / modern library skillz plz

Are u sure this is the same leatherback? Albania....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
The same "HTC One M9 using Tapatalk" signature, though, so I think it's him. :cool:

Some people set country for lulz, or don't even bother changing default one, whatever it is.
It's me. I probably should change those things away from default lol

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I tested spinlord waran 2.0 and friendship 802-40 also 2.0 and i can tell you that this two pips are very good for attacking all kinds of balls. Waran is faster than friendship and even is better for chopping but much worse in my oppinion in blocking.

This user has no status.
I tested spinlord waran 2.0 and friendship 802-40 also 2.0 and i can tell you that this two pips are very good for attacking all kinds of balls. Waran is faster than friendship and even is better for chopping but much worse in my oppinion in blocking.

Hi Piza, could you tell me why the Waran is worse at blocking? Due to the softness of the sponge? And also, have you tried Waran II?

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
If anyone was curious, I've been testing out spinlord gipfelsturm in 1.8... and bam! It seems to be about the perfect rubber for my purposes. Classified as a "long pip" but quite rigid and stiff in the pimples. They're not bendable really, at all. Nothing like a curl rubber where you can thumb across the top and make the "bvvvvvvvvp" sound. These are pretty much set in place with slight movements.

It plays like a mix of medium pips and long pips. In that you can punch-block/attack backspins and pushes as you would with LP or frictionless anti (slightly diminished though). And you can also block pretty much like you would with inverted, only much less spin sensitive. Heavy spins are easy to redirect around the table. The amount of reversal is dependent upon the incoming spin. More often than not, the ball is returned relatively dead. If your opponent cranks up the spin, then your blocks will have a bit more reversal. If you base your game on reversal and rely on having 'heavy chop' returned off of blocks, then I don't think you'll like this rubber. It's more of a point and shoot variety.

No spin balls or low spin balls... they can be attacked, but not too fiercely, or you risk having the ball float long. You'd have to do more placement with moderate pace, rather than a SLAM finish as you see with short pips. I feel that you can attack the high "float" balls pretty effectively, much more so than you can with LP or anti. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but the one or two here and there should be easy putaways.

You can also attack moderate top spin balls, but again, using controlled power. What I really like about the rubber is its ability to chop the ball at really any pace and spin. Low spin balls can be chopped back with a lot of rotation. And top spin balls can also be chopped back with a bit of reversal, and a lot of your own spin. It's not nearly as easy as chopping with actual LP, in that the ball does tend to return quite high against heavy top spin, so your blade angle is important. In that aspect, they're more like SP chopping. Variety of spin over heavy chop reliance again.

For my game of block close and chop mid to long, these are about as good as you could hope for. They're not as idiot proof as slick LP's when it comes to serve return so there is some danger there, to a degree. You can pretty much bop back any back spin serve (ala long pips/anti), but if they trick you with a top spin serve, you can expect to have it fly up if you don't adjust. Whereas with the frictionless anti or slick LP, you won't be punished too heavily for that sort of thing.

Is this still your feeling for Gipfelsturm?
How much do you think these properties would change with 1.2mm sponge?
Does the ball tend to pop up if you push a short push back, does it have back spin?