Controversial: Why amateur table tennis players so fat?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I have tried many sports in recent times. Whenever I am playing with mates from other Sport fields, never have I seen the scale of overweight and obese people. I am trying to figure out the reasons for it, even chess professionals maintain a high level of fitness to sustain their performance.

But in Table tennis people get away with this in my opinion, would be interested to know different perspectives

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
You talk about amateurs and then compare them to chess professionals? lol...

I've been to a good many table tennis tournaments, and the serious players are perhaps 90% of the time, anything but fat! More of the rec hall/hobby players are the tubguts -- generally older men. You can find that crowd in tennis as well, or even club basketball.

Good thread though, very informative and thought provoking *nibbles donut while adding paddles to megaspin cart*

This user has no status.
Well, because it's not necessary for them to be athletic. They just want to shoot some balls around. Most of those who pack a little extra are past their potential prime and see no great value in slimming down. They work the wrist magic and make people like me run and gasp for air. :p If your blocks, your placement and spin reading are great, that alone can carry you quite far.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Honestly I think it must be where you are playing. That hasn't been my observation.

Now if you want to start making generalizations, I guess you could say a lot of players at club are people who are older. Have kids. Play because they like the game and they want some exercise. Well when you're 40, 50 or 60, I'm guessing it's hard to look the same with your gut as when you were in your 20s.

But overall from what I've seen at our club, our player base I would say is skinnier than the average population if you were to compare with everyday people walking around the street.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Do you know Erik Bottroff? He was a german talent few years ago, plays now in the seccond or third league in germany. He has some kilos too much but he is still fast and good. His weight he uses to play extremly powerfull topspins

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Sorry, I would never call that player fat. He may be a little unfit thus slow for top class TT.
Also, can anyone say why he got that yellow card at 1:27? I saw him move the ball with his foot, presumably to make it easier to pick up. But a yellow card?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Sorry, I would never call that player fat. He may be a little unfit thus slow for top class TT.
Also, can anyone say why he got that yellow card at 1:27? I saw him move the ball with his foot, presumably to make it easier to pick up. But a yellow card?
The referee means that he spits on the ground. But it was only his sweat.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I have tried many sports in recent times. Whenever I am playing with mates from other Sport fields, never have I seen the scale of overweight and obese people. I am trying to figure out the reasons for it, even chess professionals maintain a high level of fitness to sustain their performance.

But in Table tennis people get away with this in my opinion, would be interested to know different perspectives

C'mon. Ever watched cricket?

http://m.wisdenindia.com/full-story.php?category=Cricket Lists&id=172714&

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016

I would say Cricket is more technical than Athletic. It's been many years before my tryst with cricket ended. Nevertheless, I distinctly remember those Inzamam funny run-outs.

Whether it is Football or Basketball, my extra kilos absorbs those impacts from headbutts, elbow and shoulder technical fouls. Have played against chiseled guys, 6 7" guys, never got bullied ever in any field except for the contrary

All said, weight slows me down, it provides initial explosiveness but had lead to bad performance each time. After all, it is significantly straining the internal organs and general wellbeing. It is not a great feeling when you feel heavy all time.

When Chuck Barkley cucks

When Chuck sucks

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Why should sports men and women all have to be thin and athletic, unimportant which sports it is?
(by the way sports is a possibility to loose weight)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I am 45 years old and I'm fat. I love tt and am getting back into it. I'm played semi professional football and rugby when I wasn't fat as well as tt. Arthritic knees and a awful metabolism mean I can't play football or rugby nowadays - I can however play tt (albeit not to a high standard) and love it. I appreciate your point entirely and I'm sure other fat dudes have SOME mitigating circumstances for their lack of athletic physique haha

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
Read 13 reviews
I don't claim to be a professional at darts, however I do see what makes the great players great, and I can practice what I preach. I play obese style with lanky stature. The trick to being great at darts is to allow your body weight to do the work for you.

Even the largest darts players have similarities in their throws. But I want you to remember, theres more than one way to mutilate a kitten. If you'd like to improve your dart playing abilities I would gladly give you some pointers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't claim to be a professional at darts, however I do see what makes the great players great, and I can practice what I preach. I play obese style with lanky stature. The trick to being great at darts is to allow your body weight to do the work for you.

Even the largest darts players have similarities in their throws. But I want you to remember, theres more than one way to mutilate a kitten. If you'd like to improve your dart playing abilities I would gladly give you some pointers.

If anyone else gets this joke within the next 30 mins, I will send them free plastic seamless balls.