Werner Schlager Academy´s last days :-(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Sad news have reached me this morning.

According to the Website mytischtennis.de the contract between the austrian federation ÖTTV and Werner Schlager ends at the end of the month and won´t be renewed.
After the bankrupt from this year´s march the WSA had an offer by a chinese investor and everyone thought the WSA was saved, but unfortunately the deal never happened, so the ÖTTV jumped in with Schlager becoming the Academy´s manager. But their contract was only running until end of december.
According to mytischtennis.de Schlager has been trying to acquire new investors but hasn´t been succesful, so now he´s gonna take a Time-out to recharge himself and spend quality time with his family. The WSAcademy has cost him all in all more than 100,000 EUR.
But at least the ÖTTV wants to keep up the Academy Training and is negotiating with the city´s administration of Schwechat

Here´s more info:
http://www.mytischtennis.de/public/buntes/8837/werner-schlager-academy-endgueltig-am-ende
http://www.krone.at/nachrichten/wer...nis-academy-foerdermittel-fehlen-story-544802

:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
This is truly sad ... its amazing how this sport has so little financial backing outside of china .... WSA cannot stay afloat and talk of someday Europe breaking Chinese Dominance .. !

Totally agree. Good point.
But i wouldn't generalize this. I think this has mostly happened because Schlager's former Business partner has been playing a major role in this plot. Also Austria has had some rough times with a lot of envy, jealousy and hateful political campaigns based on lies...
Strange times, when people like Strache, Trump, Farrage and many more can get away with their ugly, crooked lies to rile up people!

Back to TT:
If you look at other TT-Schools in Germany the situation doesn't seem to look that bad.
The Liebherr Masters College seems to do some good work.
Same goes for Qiu-TTS, TT-Schule Grenzau. Actually not too long ago there has been a new school founded in Bad Aibling.
Top Spin Sport TT-Schule.
http://www.topspin-sport.de

These were just the first that came to my mind and there are quite a few more. So i wouldn't say the situation in Europe is that bad at all.
In fact in England TABLETENNIS has had a BIG boost lately, maybe due to the latest success of their National team and also due to people like Daniel Ives and the work they do.
[Emoji6]

Alles caput??
Nein, nicht Alles...
;)

Season greetings to EVERYONE

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Thanks Suga D , thats reassuring to know. I did read about some of the stuff you said , in terms of the corruption and schlager's business partner.
What riles me up is that a Chinese company was ready to rescue them but nobody from within Europe . Its not just I have anything against China , I just hate monopoly in any business because it makes things for everybody ..

Totally agree. Good point.
But i wouldn't generalize this. I think this has mostly happened because Schlager's former Business partner has been playing a major role in this plot. Also Austria has had some rough times with a lot of envy, jealousy and hateful political campaigns based on lies...
Strange times, when people like Strache, Trump, Farrage and many more can get away with their ugly, crooked lies to rile up people!

Back to TT:
If you look at other TT-Schools in Germany the situation doesn't seem to look that bad.
The Liebherr Masters College seems to do some good work.
Same goes for Qiu-TTS, TT-Schule Grenzau. Actually not too long ago there has been a new school founded in Bad Aibling.
Top Spin Sport TT-Schule.
http://www.topspin-sport.de

These were just the first that came to my mind and there are quite a few more. So i wouldn't say the situation in Europe is that bad at all.
In fact in England TABLETENNIS has had a BIG boost lately, maybe due to the latest success of their National team and also due to people like Daniel Ives and the work they do.
[Emoji6]

Nein, nicht Alles...
;)

Season greetings to EVERYONE

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
http://www.wsa-tt.com/news-en.html

Launching the new Academy!

The course is set.
To keep up pays off! After years of legal dispute today the new Werner Schlager GmbH finally signed an agreement with the insolvency administrator. The first steps of restructuring are done, practice is going on and will be soon even better! The design of the homepage will change, too - but this will take some time. Yours, Werner Schlager

Is this a new post? I can't see a date. Let's hope it will open again!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hello,

I was on the coaching staff of the WSA for an extended period of time. The table tennis culture was truly great; from a table tennis perspective, it was all the heart desired. Top coaches, international events, hundreds of world class players training there periodically. The Chinese team trained there three times, the major European championships used the facility, the top European league held events there, including Timo Boll's team.

I'm not fully conversant with the political dimension. As a table tennis enterprise, this center can again reach the top of the world with a new business model. Leveraging the fabulous capabilities built into the system, a much stronger local presence to generate a consistent table tennis revenue stream would be of great assistance. Once the revenue has a reliable source, the original vision may be realized.

For all of Europe's greatness within the European Union, European table tennis has never promulgated inter-nation functioning structures. It is a natural outgrowth of the European Union philosophy to do so.

It is true that many stars would need to be aligned for such a described eventuality, however the dramatic vitality of the surging ITTF, as well as other successful, historically-unique initiatives, makes such an outcome not unreasonable.

Donn

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Hello,

I was on the coaching staff of the WSA for an extended period of time. The table tennis culture was truly great; from a table tennis perspective, it was all the heart desired. Top coaches, international events, hundreds of world class players training there periodically. The Chinese team trained there three times, the major European championships used the facility, the top European league held events there, including Timo Boll's team.

I'm not fully conversant with the political dimension. As a table tennis enterprise, this center can again reach the top of the world with a new business model. Leveraging the fabulous capabilities built into the system, a much stronger local presence to generate a consistent table tennis revenue stream would be of great assistance. Once the revenue has a reliable source, the original vision may be realized.

For all of Europe's greatness within the European Union, European table tennis has never promulgated inter-nation functioning structures. It is a natural outgrowth of the European Union philosophy to do so.

It is true that many stars would need to be aligned for such a described eventuality, however the dramatic vitality of the surging ITTF, as well as other successful, historically-unique initiatives, makes such an outcome not unreasonable.

Donn

Wow. Thanks for your insightful post.

Reactions: Ioiettino