JAPAN Team selection tournament

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
The winners of those tournaments will be included in the Japan National Team for 2017 asian games and 2017 world championships

on the Mens side, MIZUTANI and NIWA are already part of the team due to their rankings

There was a group stage, 4 groups of 6 players with 2 players qualified into the following knock out tournament

FUJIMURA - HARIMOTO
OSHIMA - MURAMATSU
MORIZONO - YOSHIDA Kaii
MATSUDAIRA Kenta - YOSHIMURA

on the Ladies side, i think ISHIKAWA ITO FUKUHARA and HIRANO are already part of the team, they are not playing this tournament
8 players were exempt of the group stage where there were 4 groups of 6 players

we have the following knockout tournament

HAMAMOTO Yui / YAMAMOTO Rei
MORI Sakura / NAKAHATA Natsumi
MORIZONO Misaki / MAEDA Miyu
MORIZONO Mitsuki / ISHIGAKI Yuka
SATO Hitomi / MATSUZAWA Marina
SHIBATA Saki / HASHIMOTO Honoka
KATO Miyu / SUZUKI Rika
SAKAE / HAYATA Hina

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
HARIMOTO beats FUJIMURA 4-1
OSHIMA beats MURAMATSU 4-0

MATSUDAIRA beats YOSHIMURA 4-3
YOSHIDA beats MORIZONO 4-2

they will fight together in the semifinals (tomorrow)
HARIMOTO - OSHIMA
MATSUDAIRA - YOSHIDA

--------------------

Ladies results

HAMAMOTO Yui / YAMAMOTO Rei 4-2
MORI Sakura / NAKAHATA Natsumi 4-1
MORIZONO Misaki / MAEDA Miyu 4-2
MORIZONO Mitsuki / ISHIGAKI Yuka 3-4
SATO Hitomi / MATSUZAWA Marina 2-4
SHIBATA Saki / HASHIMOTO Honoka 4-1
KATO Miyu / SUZUKI Rika 4-1
SAKAE / HAYATA Hina 0-4

Quarterfinals
HAMAMOTO - MORI 4-3
MORIZONO - ISHIGAKI 4-0
MATSUZAWA - SHIBATA 3-4
KATO Miyu - HAYATA 4-1 (todays biggest upset)

Semis tomorrow
HAMAMOTO - MORIZONO
SHIBATA - KATO

Last edited:
Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
How did it go in the finals?

Any videos?

Men's final highlight:

Women's final highlight:

Kenta Matsudaira and Miyu Kato won respectively.
Harimoto is also expected to be chosen by the JTTA by making to semis, making him the youngest man to represent Japan.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
i saw todays games live

it was a superb battle between Matsudaira and Oshima. Matsudaira confirms he is currently the no2 Japanese player. He has beaten all his main adversaries except Mizutani recently. He has done very well in his last ITTF opens as well.

Clearly his style has a bit changed for the better, and he seems to have some new motivation...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
i saw todays games live

it was a superb battle between Matsudaira and Oshima. Matsudaira confirms he is currently the no2 Japanese player. He has beaten all his main adversaries except Mizutani recently. He has done very well in his last ITTF opens as well.

Clearly his style has a bit changed for the better, and he seems to have some new motivation...

Matsudaira was a constant on the team until the last two years. That is enough motivation. He had become a bit too entitled.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
I wonder if Yoshimura will be selected given that he played 3-4 against Matsudaira who won.

On the other hand, putting in Harimoto might be a good experience for him to play in the bigger stages with his seniors on team format. Japan needs to find a replacement for mizutani after all given his age and a probable performance drop after the tokyo olympic

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
i saw todays games live

i thought the no.2 player was koki niwa...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
i saw todays games live

Must be his new blade!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Matsudaira had a awesome games and I'm glad he won the selection tournament 2 years in a row.
So, now 3 out of 5 players are decided (Mizu, Niwa, Matsudaira) and 2 will be decided if he 1) wins nationals or 2) beat 6 or more top 30 ranked players or 3) is chosen by selectors based on performance in international tournaments.

It'll be a toss up between Yoshimura, Oshima, Muramatsu and Harimoto.
I would be very tempted to select Harimoto if I were the selector, especialy with Tokyo Olympic in sight but we'll see.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Harimoto can wait a few more years. He is very very good, but still not enough to be a team member. I think Oshima should get the fourth place, he is definitely stronger than the others. Yoshimura also a good player, but I think his performance in international tournaments not as good as he really is (mentally not that good?). However Muramatsu always give his best and reaches a good stage in tournaments. Fifth place is really hard... I can see even Ueda Jin an option, if he maintains his great shape (but that's not too likely to happen). I'm still waiting for the Kenta/Niwa double back...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Harimoto can wait a few more years. He is very very good, but still not enough to be a team member. I think Oshima should get the fourth place, he is definitely stronger than the others. Yoshimura also a good player, but I think his performance in international tournaments not as good as he really is (mentally not that good?). However Muramatsu always give his best and reaches a good stage in tournaments. Fifth place is really hard... I can see even Ueda Jin an option, if he maintains his great shape (but that's not too likely to happen). I'm still waiting for the Kenta/Niwa double back...

Tokyo 2020 is only 4 years away. If they believe Harimoto will be good enough, no point in waiting.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
for girls, can you confirm its all decided

ISHIKAWA FUKUHARA ITO HIRANO + KATO ?
i'm not sure but i think there is a 6th slot just in case of injury

Ishikawa, Ito, Hirano, Kato is in by World rankings and points system. Remaining 1 will be decided by the results of the Nationals. Winner is in automatically if it's won by anyone outside of this 4. If ishikawa wins for example, it'll be decided by points
system so toss up between Hashimoto and Sato. Fukuhara is not in contention as she'll lose her rankings next month and also not participating in the Nationals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: NextLevel