JAPAN Team selection tournament

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Tokyo 2020 is a thing, but other events coming sooner is a different matter.

I guess you still don't understand how asian countries and olympic cycle work
If you look at everything Japan has done the pass 2 years, it is all about 2020 olympics

The amount of cadets they sent out
The amount of juniors they sent out
The amount of U21 they sent out

The amount of support staff for all the 50+ cadet, juniors, U21 they sent out, paired with 1 coach each and with training staff each
It is all for 2020

at WJTTC I see 8 kids, with about 20 adults.....China had 8 kids with 4 coaches, 1 delegate, 1 translator

It is a thing yes, but I guess you don't really know how much priority winning a gold medal at this thing means

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I am happy Tony said it not me, but you really don't understand how top athletes are built in the Asian systems. There are only 2 WTTC events and 2 team WTTTC events between now and the Olympics. You really think that they want to prepare their Olympic team now or they want to win the events with a team that they will not field in 4 years?

They may not take Harimoto but it is not because they have time. Do you think Fan Zhendong was really the #6 player in 2013 when they sent him to WTTC? Harimoto is already behind if they consider him a serious choice for Tokyo. If they don't take Hatimoto, they have to explain whether he is a serious choice for Tokyo or not. He may not play a single match or may play only weaker teams and be may even be allows to lose against teams they know they will beat, but the senior national team experience has to be fully within him to make him relaxed in Tokyo. They also want to evaluate him earlier rather than later.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016

Like the other 2 said, tokyo 2020 is their main goal. You can bet JTTA won't accept anything lower on silver on team and bronze on single.

The women's team will be pressed down to get silver on team since they got it in london and yet failed in rio.

Mizutani got the first ever men's single medal for japan and i'm sure they want another one at least

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I understand the reason, but I do not agree with it. I would wait two years with Harimoto and give a chance to another player. Become a national team member is the next goal of Harimoto. If they put in the team and say 'you will represent us in Olympics, you are a fix member' that goal disappears. Of course, HT can say 'I wanna beat everyone in the world' but that isn't that concrete. He trains with national team members, he know their skills well and that gives him a touchable motivation. Beating a less known opponent, for example Ovcharov? 'Yeah, he plays very well and I have to be better.' This way he can't feel what should he reach. Beating a well known opponent, for example Mizutani? 'Last week we played a tough match! I have to improve my FH loop to win. Next week I should take a few more point!' I hope you can feel the difference!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Like the other 2 said, tokyo 2020 is their main goal. You can bet JTTA won't accept anything lower on silver on team and bronze on single.

The women's team will be pressed down to get silver on team since they got it in london and yet failed in rio.

Mizutani got the first ever men's single medal for japan and i'm sure they want another one at least

They are going for gold, not bronze or silver

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I understand the reason, but I do not agree with it. I would wait two years with Harimoto and give a chance to another player. Become a national team member is the next goal of Harimoto. If they put in the team and say 'you will represent us in Olympics, you are a fix member' that goal disappears. Of course, HT can say 'I wanna beat everyone in the world' but that isn't that concrete. He trains with national team members, he know their skills well and that gives him a touchable motivation. Beating a less known opponent, for example Ovcharov? 'Yeah, he plays very well and I have to be better.' This way he can't feel what should he reach. Beating a well known opponent, for example Mizutani? 'Last week we played a tough match! I have to improve my FH loop to win. Next week I should take a few more point!' I hope you can feel the difference!

The gap of the mens team is indeed wider, but in another 2 years, a 16/17 year old then could become top 3 in Japan and become a medal opportunist for 2020
What is wrong with bringing a 15 year old to WTTTC? check where FZD is today.
And i'm sure you know, "put him into the team" doesn't = he is already in the olympics....

Remember, these guys look into the future, and are not like a walnder or timo boll where they continue playing until 35 and not having a continuation plan
Every few years or 5 years, you will get another japanese player into the top 20 in the world. this is facts

The girls part is easier to tell with the older players coming out for likely 2 young ones with kasumi if she is still up there in 4 years time. Or they will just field 3 young players. The young girls are already as good as the older ones and can only get stronger when they hit 20 years old

But i'm sure you don't agree with the current and only country with a 2 coaching staff to 1 player ratio of contingent of genius to prepare for gold
Other than human resource, there is a lot of money provided for the preparations of it
The young kids imo has been doing well the pass 2 years of tokyo 2020 planning
with another 2 to 3 years to go, we can see if the plan is on track, so far japan's youth is much better than the previous genius as a whole unit

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
The gap of the mens team is indeed wider, but in another 2 years, a 16/17 year old then could become top 3 in Japan and become a medal opportunist for 2020
What is wrong with bringing a 15 year old to WTTTC? check where FZD is today.
And i'm sure you know, "put him into the team" doesn't = he is already in the olympics....

I still don't think that putting him into the team would be really beneficial to Harimoto. They will send him to world tours, but as I said, a little more fight for become a JNT member would be another motivating factor. And I wouldn't relate FZD's participation in the WTTTC to his current place that clearly. If Harimoto is the strongest candidate, then put him into the team. But if not, then give a chance to someone else. He will get enough experience without the next team event.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I still don't think that putting him into the team would be really beneficial to Harimoto. They will send him to world tours, but as I said, a little more fight for become a JNT member would be another motivating factor. And I wouldn't relate FZD's participation in the WTTTC to his current place that clearly. If Harimoto is the strongest candidate, then put him into the team. But if not, then give a chance to someone else. He will get enough experience without the next team event.

Well, it doesn't matter what you or I think
There is enough minds in the Japanese camp,
Some of the best Chinese, Korean and Japanese minds to worry about this issue

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Mizutani debuted for JNT at 15 and Niwa at 14 so I have no problem if Harimoto is in. His world ranking is higher than these 2 when they were in. He has beaten last year's Nationals finalist twice this year and currently ranked top 10 in Japan anyways.

The reason why there are so many players/coaches in World Tour is the funding from JOC. It's beneficial especially for men as women are sponsored individually and able to form their own support team (just like in Tennis).