Old rubber removal from ping pong blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Read 10 reviews
Dear all,
I have trouble removing very old hardened ping pong rubber from my bat.I have tried sandpaper, thinner,turpentine but with no success.Any idea or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Lee

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Read 10 reviews
Thanks for the responses.I have no idea of the make of the bat but it has got really hard green sponge preassembled and the wood still looks pretty solid.. Maybe I should try the acetone and see how.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Dear all,
I have trouble removing very old hardened ping pong rubber from my bat.I have tried sandpaper, thinner,turpentine but with no success.Any idea or recommendation would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Lee

If it is on a pre-made bat, follow this. Get a wet towel and put in over your bat. Using a hot iron, iron the towel which is over your bat. Now the rubber with sponge will come off rather easily. Do it for both sides. I did it by first removing the topsheet and then applying this method to sponge only.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KarlP4001
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for the responses.I have no idea of the make of the bat but it has got really hard green sponge preassembled and the wood still looks pretty solid.. Maybe I should try the acetone and see how.

Okay. That was what I was fishing for.

Chuck it. Treat yourself to a new blade and new rubbers. The wood isn't worth the effort of getting the rubbers off it. And if you were getting new rubbers already, then you would definitely be better off putting them on a better blade.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015

Chuck it. Treat yourself to a new blade and new rubbers. The wood isn't worth the effort of getting the rubbers off it. And if you were getting new rubbers already, then you would definitely be better off putting them on a better blade.

+1 - not worth the effort unless you are absolutely strapped for cash or your time has no value, but even then you are not saving that much since whatever you manage to salvage is probably not that good in the first place.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews

+1 - not worth the effort unless you are absolutely strapped for cash or your time has no value, but even then you are not saving that much since whatever you manage to salvage is probably not that good in the first place.

Man, you guys don't seem to have any respect for the turtle.
FEAR THE TURTLE!

Maybe Lee's got the Schildkröt-900, that legendary Schildkröt 900 blade Der_Echte was referring about a while ago. I thought it was also a premade...
[Emoji12]
Oops. I hope i didn't give out too much Info.
The timo boll tricarbon is a force to be reckoned with,but when I read the review of the schildkrot 900 by Der Echte,it made the tricarbon look slow;)

Mahomedy, you talk about the top secret Schildkrot 900 project too much, you will get a goon squad after you way more menacing then the branch of the Philly TT Mafia that TRIED to pursue Carl & Co.

I forget how top secret it was:(

I have to go underground now...

Schildkrot Syed 900.
Quoting our beloved Der-Echte:
"Fast with a capital F. Supersonic on the low end, impulse warp speed on medium strokes, beyond Mr. Sulu and CPT Kirk’s comprehension on power shots. There is not a piece of TT equipment to compare it to. You have to use the Enterprise or similar space ships. "

On a more serious note though, BTY W.Schlager and Kim Taek Soo should still be up there at the peak for the fastest blades for shakehand and pen hold....

Fastest rubber should be Bryce Speed. At least out of all the rubbers I have tried. Which is ALOT.

Haha Cake, so you took the trip to OOAK and it had to be worth it. We forumers started talking about this noise at a different forum way back (DTTW) and carried it over to Haggisv's forum and built it up. There had to be over a dozen of us pimping it up.

Akrasia is billed to be the fastest blade on the planet as a result of a challenge to Nexy Korea President, but I really believe it will not be the absolute fastest blade in terms of sheer speed.

However, I totally believe it will be the fastest blade capable of producing acceptable spin consistently and that is what matters to the overwhelming majority of TT players. That is the REAL goal Oscar Moon has in mind designing it.

So what if you got the speed of the Schildkrot 900, if you cannot topspin the ball and control your shots, it is useless.

Now the Shildkrot 900, some forum member LONG ago started the idea of a top secret super-fast blade by a manufacturer know for super slow recreational bats, that brand even had a turtle as is mark to get across the idea of slow and safe.

There were already a couple very short discussions and reviews of that mythical blade, I waited to get everyone's feel and expectations, then raised the bar to a whole new level and put some time into articulating it in a way the forum members could appreciate.

Carl, you prolly never saw the review... take a peek at it over at OOAK... http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5437

Carl, I think you would have loved that thread if you were foruming back then.

[Emoji6]

Here's a quote from that legendary thread. But actually the whole thread is a good read and it even contains pics from that legendary blade.
[Emoji2]

der_Echte_on_the_Ooak-forum said:
Schildkröt Bat Review: The 900

Where can one start in reviewing this ultra secret and über schnell OFF +++++ effort from the folks bearing the badge of the fearsome turtle. The 900 model is shrouded in secrecy and myth throughout each stage of research, development and secret underhanded under the table distribution. It is an enigma of top high end powerful speed and fleeting control. The goal was to suddenly and dramatically change the image of the firm while entrenching itself as THE defacto supplier of pro level equipment, thus ensuring the rest of the TT EJs (Like Speedplay and such) would buy the stuff like there is no tomorrow. You see, Schildkröt had been making all these slow crappy premade paddles pimped by famous TT champions that were so slow, that some of their models were bought up by NASA for research of Black Hole properties. They simply had to do SOMETHING to shed their real core identity.

No one really knows exactly where the initial design and research took place, but my guess it that an insider from Area 51 (The ultra-high security and secret place where the US Govt harbors all captured UFOs and Aliens) (Hey, you all knew that anyway – you all watched the X-Files, but you know, some people (like me) are entirely uncivilized savages who don’t watch much television) snuck his TT mate inside the compound to conduct his tests in relative safety from outside visibility/accountability. (No one would sue him if his tests injured a few aliens, eh mate?)

Research, development and testing took several years. Schildkröt wanted to get this one right. They wanted a bat so fast, it would blow by everything on the market by the most astounding of margins and catch the eyes of the pros to make them salivate. The researchers used every material known to man and had to invent several of them along the way. Out of the hundreds of combinations tried out, the staff settled on Titanium, Enriched Uranium, Fastidium Weave ™ (one of the materials they invented), and a newly discovered treatment to stiffen steel to make up the 15 % foreign material inserted into the Hinoki wood. That is the stuff of the blade. It came in weighing a negative 1342 grams! How did they do that? Well, we really don’t know, but it might have something to do with all those free electrons constantly being shot out of the Uranium core and also possibly due to some alien new life geometrics driven geometry. (They did that Area 51 for sure) For the rubbers, they simply combined the source of Bryce rubber molecules with skin grafts of Aliens hatched from unused stem cells, all processed slowly in a small scale nuclear reactor.

For the testing phase, they brought in several expensive BTY Amiscus robots to feed the balls. That was a bad move as the test player (someone named Steve Somethingortheother) ricocheted the balls off the table at 12,000 kph and busted several of the machines straight off. They should have stuck with Newgby. They come much less expensive and the supplier was much closer. This experienced caused the staff to require all participants in the testing phase to wear cumbersome Personal Protective Gear, like lead underwear, Integrated Ballistic Armour vests, Oakley eyewear (Hey it looks cool and the military uses it), Radioactive gloves (to counteract the radiation from the blade/rubber), and new generation Kevlar woven bandanas which look cooler than the ones worn by Speedplay. (Hey, it was for their own safety for crying out loud) The test participants had to undergo rigorous physical training to meet the physical demands of both the PPE and the 900. They ended up going through Army and Marine Boot Camp, Special Forces, Airborne, Pathfinder, Navy SEALs, and Delta Force training just to be available for two weeks each of testing. That is the longest any of them lasted. Jack Bauer expressed interest in the project, but a sudden 24 hour national crisis took his immediate attention.

Now the staff finalized their product, but had to figure out how to slip these Titans of TT bats to the Chinese team. The solution they came up with involved packaging them as ordinary pre-made bats. The CTTA was advised to look for the 900 on the cover typed in Courrier font, instead of the normal Donic print. The Chinese team got a hold of 5 of these bats and had their rising players take turns using it. Details are not so definite, but it is rumored that the high radiation made it through the CTTA approved PPE suits and ruined the careers of over a dozen promising players. Balls hit out also caused 8 eye injuries to provincial coaches standing to close to the court. Their ballistic eyewear apparently wasn’t up to standard. That was both a curse and a blessing. A curse for those in hope, and a blessing to the established players on the National team – they had a dozen less top stars at their heals for a spot on the team, thus giving Ma Lin and WLQ a shot at Olympic Glory. The president of the CTTA kindly asked Schildkröt to call off the project and arranged compensation to Schildkröt through a lucrative manufacturing agreement.

It is rumored that Schildkröt failed to successfully recall all of the 50 production bats in circulation. So, be careful out there when you break out a 100, 300, or 900 series Schildkröt ™ bat. Be on guard for the symptoms. The sure thing to look for is the sonic boom and the caved-in wall on the other side of the gym after you hit your first powerloop. Schildkröt wanted to get everyone to “Fear the Turtle” and I think they may have succeeded in ways they never intended.

So, if you are around a TT hall somewhere in the world and hear an over 40 gent wearing something like a futuristic cross between a Hazmat suit and advanced Riot Police Gear tell his opponent that he had better "Fear the Turtle" if he knows what is for his own good, then you should immediately evacuate the building. Winning the matches is not worth being in the hot zone of the collateral damage.

President, Korea Foreign TTC
http://www.facebook.com/koreaforeignttc

Hit us up on FB or the Forum

Janitor at Nexy USA
http://www.NexyUSA.com
http://www.facebook.com/Nexyusa/

I just hope the Goon Squad won't try to hunt me down now. After all i just quoted this and didn't share the information first hand.
[Emoji12]

Back to topic:

Just try to lift one small edge of the rubber, use a q-tip drenched in nailpolish remover and Go from there inch by inch and take your time, go little by little, but the ironing method seems quite good too.

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Wow someone did some research, that will get the top secret Goonies on yahoo like flies, but since you did such a bang up job of showing my creative side from a decade ago, I will orient my weapons from the arms room towards the likely Avenue of approach to give you enough time to move to a better position to fight from.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Wow someone did some research, that will get the top secret Goonies on yahoo like flies, but since you did such a bang up job of showing my creative side from a decade ago, I will orient my weapons from the arms room towards the likely Avenue of approach to give you enough time to move to a better position to fight from.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks, mate. Very appreciated. I'll try to keep my cover now... Maybe Carl can lead me to that secret tunnel to London. They'll never expect me there... I hope.
Next time i'll be smarter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
OK - if you just want to do it for the sake of doing it (and I did it once, so who am I to stop you) - I've heard that microwaving the paddle might help softening up the sponge/glue. Ripping off topsheet is typically easy, it's the sponge that will give you nightmares.

I wouldn't do that. One friend tried this with a premade and after he was halfway done the glue dried again, so he put the blade in the microwave once more...
And then the plies started separating...

But that wet towel/hot ironing method sounds more promising from my perspective

Reactions: Sherrieh
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
@Der_Echte

That's one of the best things I've read in some time. Would anyone happen to have a picture of exactly the blade/WMD being talked about?

You gotta dig the grave on that one over at OOAK forum. It started on DTTW over a decade ago, but forum is no longer live.

There might be an old timer forumer or three who remember the thread. We need to get HOOKSHOT to sign up for TTD.

Reactions: BeGo and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Read 10 reviews
f142d2dcaa99cf6caee6466b9eae04bf.jpg

Reactions: Suga D